Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

TfL will not renew Uber's licence

10 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Surely it's quite a good thing? They'll obviously appeal and if they have to demonstrate they're improving their attitude towards passenger safety in order to get the license back then good on tfl? 

It's going to be their biggest UK market, they'll obviously do whatever they need to to appease tfl. 

If it's just a shake down for more money that's sad but if you take tfl at their word then cool. Good on them. 

They will appeal. Seems like TfL is trying to force Uber to make some changes - and they are needed to be fair. There's an average of one sexual assault by Uber drivers every week, and the companies treatment of it's staff is terrible. I imagine they'll make a few pledges and win back their license on appeal.

Just stinks of TfL trying to look like it's cracking down on Uber, and Khan trying to do something to appease the taxi drivers' union. Khan might be a lot of things, but he's no mug - he doesn't want to cut about 40,000 jobs in the city and piss off the hundreds of thousands of Londoners who use them every day. 

Most people I know wouldn't switch to using black cabs anyway - they're too expensive - it would just be back to night buses and night tubes for me and my mates. Bit more inconvenient, but hey-ho.

13 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

Initial reaction is a bit annoyed, but that's quite selfish of me. I only ever use Uber when I'm battered or with work associates. Time to take out a mortgage for every black cab journey again though.

9 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

Good old special interests using their influence again, to the detriment of most people........

Except they aren't saying uber can't operate in London, they're saying uber can only operate in London if they improve their passenger safety record and improve their service. 

So it's only to the detriment of uber and their purse strings, it's actually to benefit joe public? 

31 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Initial reaction is a bit annoyed, but that's quite selfish of me. I only ever use Uber when I'm battered or with work associates. Time to take out a mortgage for every black cab journey again though.

It's not even the price that irks me the most about them, it's the fact that you have to find and hail one, you usually have to have cash because they won't take cards, if they do the card machines take ages to work, and half of them won't go south of the river after about midnight - nothing like the convenience of just getting an Uber. Bunch of jokers.

1 minute ago, indierich06 said:

It's not even the price that irks me the most about them, it's the fact that you have to find and hail one, you usually have to have cash because they won't take cards, if they do the card machines take ages to work, and half of them won't go south of the river after about midnight - nothing like the convenience of just getting an Uber. Bunch of jokers.

It's the non stop talking that bothers me, I don't mind a small "How are you, where you from, what you doing" chat in the cab but sometimes it's 35 mins non stop jabbering all the way from the station to the hotel.

If the Uber driver can't speak completely fluent English (usually the case in my experience) he isn't going to bore me to death about the time he used to go and watch Tottenham in 1989.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's the non stop talking that bothers me, I don't mind a small "How are you, where you from, what you doing" chat in the cab but sometimes it's 35 mins non stop jabbering all the way from the station to the hotel.

If the Uber driver can't speak completely fluent English (usually the case in my experience) he isn't going to bore me to death about the time he used to go and watch Tottenham in 1989.

100% - Love getting into an Uber knowing that I can just sit there on my phone and not get bothered. Although, I've had a few mad Uber drivers that were very chatty in my time too.

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Except they aren't saying uber can't operate in London, they're saying uber can only operate in London if they improve their passenger safety record and improve their service. 

So it's only to the detriment of uber and their purse strings, it's actually to benefit joe public? 

I am little sceptical of a reduction of consumer choice based on some discretions as mentioned. If people have a bad service they aren't likely to use said service again unless the cost or convenience is so much greater than the alternative. 

Archived