Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Guiza

12 Angry Foxestalkers

Following on from the debate in the Capital Punishment thread, and something I mentioned in an earlier post on there, I wondered what the general consensus on trial by jury is. Has anybody been a part of jury duty before? (Obviously you can't go into any great detail - but how did you find it?)

Personally I can see why it exists, it serves an important democratic function in that it allows members of society to play a significant role in specific trials. However, were I to be falsely accused of something, I would not want to have to rely on 12 of my peers, most of whom are likely to have little to no knowledge on the interpretation of the law; yes they are assisted in this process throughout by multiple sources, but ultimately I would rather face a panel people whom posses some sort of expertise.

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Following on from the debate in the Capital Punishment thread, and something I mentioned in an earlier post on there, I wondered what the general consensus on trial by jury is. Has anybody been a part of jury duty before? (Obviously you can't go into any great detail - but how did you find it?)

Personally I can see why it exists, it serves an important democratic function in that it allows members of society to play a significant role in specific trials. However, were I to be falsely accused of something, I would not want to have to rely on 12 of my peers, most of whom are likely to have little to no knowledge on the interpretation of the law; yes they are assisted in this process throughout by multiple sources, but ultimately I would rather face a panel people whom posses some sort of expertise.

Personally I’d definitely have more faith in impartial members of the general public, over what would become professional jurors.

• Like 1

Never done jury duty, weirdly I would love to, although I realise how naive that sounds given how distressing it can be.

I still favour 12 men over a judge, people from wider society should be allowed to decide this rather than an elite few, plus we have seen some shocking decisions by judges as well as juries over the years, some are hopelessly out of touch.

As an aside, if anyone hasn't watched 12 Angry Men, do so.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Never done jury duty, weirdly I would love to, although I realise how naive that sounds given how distressing it can be.

I still favour 12 men over a judge, people from wider society should be allowed to decide this rather than an elite few, plus we have seen some shocking decisions by judges as well as juries over the years, some are hopelessly out of touch.

superb film.

Just now, Buce said:

I sat on a jury with someone who decided on the defendant's guilt based purely on the fact that his eyebrows met in the middle.

What do you do when that happens?

I presume you can have this reported to the judge and have the jury member removed for such behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Having served on a jury I can say that I sincerely hope I'm never in a position to have my fate decided by one.

Think of how thick the average person is, then realise that they are precisely the kind of people who are going to be asked to follow an often complicated case and reach the correct verdict. I used to scoff at all the prisoners who claimed they were innocent until I sat on a jury with someone who decided on the defendant's guilt based purely on the fact that his eyebrows met in the middle.

Yeah but he was probably right tbf.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

What do you do when that happens?

I presume you can have this reported to the judge and have the jury member removed for such behaviour. 

Nope.

No one was challenged to justify their stance except by the other sane jurors.

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

PERSONS MATT PERSONS THE FEMINISTS WILL BE KNOCKING THE DOOR DOWN

12 minutes ago, DB11 said:

For it to even get to court in the first place they're probably guilty

You couldn't be more wrong. If you want a recent example just look at some of the ridiculous rape cases sent to court by the CPS that were thrown out, sometimes within hours.

Being in court as an innocent man (or woman!) and having to experience a situation where a lawyer far cleverer than you, far sharper than you and on their home turf trying to trip you up to get a guilty verdict is one of the most horrific things you can go through.

Edited by MattP

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

PERSONS MATT PERSONS THE FEMINISTS WILL BE KNOCKING THE DOOR DOWN

I'm amazed the film hasn't been "no platformed" yet.

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

Having served on a jury I can say that I sincerely hope I'm never in a position to have my fate decided by one.

Think of how thick the average person is, then realise that they are precisely the kind of people who are going to be asked to follow an often complicated case and reach the correct verdict. I used to scoff at all the prisoners who claimed they were innocent until I sat on a jury with someone who decided on the defendant's guilt based purely on the fact that his eyebrows met in the middle.

I have been on a jury.  And one member was not English and could not even speak it with any fluently so how he understood the case I have no idea 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

You couldn't be more wrong. If you want a recent example just look at some of the ridiculous rape cases sent to court by the CPS that were thrown out, sometimes within hours.

Being in court as an innocent man (or woman!) and having to go through a situation where a lawyer far cleverer than you, far sharper than you and on his home turf trying to trip you up to get a guilty verdict is one of the most horrific things you can go through.

You can't just ignore the word probably in my original comment, that is to say more than 50%.

I bet you that more people are convicted than acquitted at court. And that includes people that plead guilty at court because that is still within the scope of my original comment.