Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 25/07/2023 at 17:54, Bordersfox said:

Three that are within walking distance of each other in the centre are Queens Vaults (had very well kept cask beer last I went, bit of an odd venue). Tiny Rebel Cardiff - usually excellent cask and keg selection but can get rammed if there's stuff on at the stadium.  Opposite Tiny Rebel (and better imo) is the City Arms.  Proper boozer, usually has a decent beer selection.

Edit: I really like Cardiff, definitely plenty of decent pubs and eateries and usually good craic generally. 

Did all three of those recommendations, plus managed one in The Old Arcade at lunchtime before heading home today. More rugger bugger gear on show than you even get in boozers in the actual town of Rugby, but I'm a sucker for pubs with decent sports memorabilia so all good. Forgot how nice Brains beers are too, tasted great as expected there.

Had a couple from Tiny Rebel's impressive cask selection yesterday. Really refreshing with their weather we've had. Back home now so just going to tuck into a tin of Round Corner Jandals and Togs pale I bought from a farm shop near Melton last week.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 20:45, ajthefox said:

Pivni is a great shout. One of my favourite places when I lived there.

Fossgate social is a small modern place with a good choice of pint bang in the centre. The hop next door is decent, does live music (or used to anyway) and great pizza too. They're on the same road Brew York is on so easy enough to pop in if you're heading to BY anyway.

The Habit and Eagle & Child are both decent, more contemporary and very central. 

If you want a couple of "old man pubs" (I use the term fondly) that are quieter and off the beaten track, any of the below are good local pubs. A couple of them are outside the City walls but really they're not very far from anything given how big York is.

The Phoenix by Fishergate Bar

The Wellington Inn (literally a terraced house, does Sam Smith's. Worth it for 1 pint just to see what it's like)

Golden Ball

The Swan

@ousefoxmay have some suggestions.

@SemperEadem Brew York and House of Trembling Madness also. 

Edited by ajthefox
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Did all three of those recommendations, plus managed one in The Old Arcade at lunchtime before heading home today. More rugger bugger gear on show than you even get in boozers in the actual town of Rugby, but I'm a sucker for pubs with decent sports memorabilia so all good. Forgot how nice Brains beers are too, tasted great as expected there.

Had a couple from Tiny Rebel's impressive cask selection yesterday. Really refreshing with their weather we've had. Back home now so just going to tuck into a tin of Round Corner Jandals and Togs pale I bought from a farm shop near Melton last week.

Well played sir.  I do like a few beers around Cardiff, friendly place generally I've found.  

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
2 hours ago, Filbert_Ross said:

Cruzcampo is taking over the pubs & shops I've noticed. 
Not a bad thing. 

Shop near me gives you a free pint glass with a 4 pack. One of those with a stalk, goblet style, rather than a proper pint glass. Not sure it's that great but it went down without a fuss!

Picked up some of Connor McGregor’s stout in ASDA out of curiosity and it was also on offer. I imagine it’s probably fairly palatable on draft served at the right temp and looked after in the keg, but quite weak tasting for a stout out of the can. The Brewdog effort is much better. 

2 hours ago, Dames said:

Been teetotal for a while but gasping for a draft pint, anyone know anywhere in town that has 0% on tap? I know its not the real deal but it’ll scratch the itch. 

Lucky Saint have a map showing their pouring locations, I'm not Leicester based and it's not a pub but it seems Roxy in Leicester is the only place that particular one is on. Shame because it's actually very nice!

Link if useful https://luckysaint.co/pages/find-lucky-saint-on-draught

55 minutes ago, Langston said:

Lucky Saint have a map showing their pouring locations, I'm not Leicester based and it's not a pub but it seems Roxy in Leicester is the only place that particular one is on. Shame because it's actually very nice!

Link if useful https://luckysaint.co/pages/find-lucky-saint-on-draught

I'm actually heading there Saturday night - Nice one thank you.

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Lucky saint is great non alcoholic drop agreed.

Agreed, Guinness 0% and Asahi 0% are also really quite good. 

• Like 2