Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

Drank lots of Pilsner Urquell in Prague. I’ve never been a fan of it over here, no pub is storing it in a tank. Incredibly smooth there but I found I didn’t really get drunk on it.

The pubs are great too, proper boozers and stodgy Czech fare if they did it. No poncey decals, neon signs or other crap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Drank lots of Pilsner Urquell in Prague. I’ve never been a fan of it over here, no pub is storing it in a tank. Incredibly smooth there but I found I didn’t really get drunk on it.

The pubs are great too, proper boozers and stodgy Czech fare if they did it. No poncey decals, neon signs or other crap.

I’m off in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations? 

10 hours ago, Manini said:

I’m off in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations? 

Pubs or generally?

Pubs - I looked at European Bar Guide’s website and didn’t go wrong. Moskyt and Beer Point are two I stumbled on and they were great. Lokal operate a few pubs but we loved the Dlouahaaa one.

Hemingway bar is quirky, huge range of cocktails, probably best to book in.

Zizkov is a cool district with nice bars and little markets, not overwhelmingly busy which was nice. Breakfast at Bistro66 at the TV tower is strong recommendation, cheap and a great view.

100% go to Kutna Hora to see the bone church - Sedlec Ossuary. It’s a nice little town, the pub by the cathedral, not the ossuary, was a properly authentic Czech hospoda - £1.10 beers and tasty food.

Take the funicular up to Petrin after walking in or around the castle. The Staropramen brewery tour is that side of the river as well - it’s cheap so it’s worth it but it’s not fantastic.

Definitely learn a few basic phrases, e.g hello (Dobry den/dob-ree den), thanks, the bill etc Service can be unwelcoming at times but if you make the effort, they’re more open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Pubs or generally?

Pubs - I looked at European Bar Guide’s website and didn’t go wrong. Moskyt and Beer Point are two I stumbled on and they were great. Lokal operate a few pubs but we loved the Dlouahaaa one.

Hemingway bar is quirky, huge range of cocktails, probably best to book in.

Zizkov is a cool district with nice bars and little markets, not overwhelmingly busy which was nice. Breakfast at Bistro66 at the TV tower is strong recommendation, cheap and a great view.

100% go to Kutna Hora to see the bone church - Sedlec Ossuary. It’s a nice little town, the pub by the cathedral, not the ossuary, was a properly authentic Czech hospoda - £1.10 beers and tasty food.

Take the funicular up to Petrin after walking in or around the castle. The Staropramen brewery tour is that side of the river as well - it’s cheap so it’s worth it but it’s not fantastic.

Definitely learn a few basic phrases, e.g hello (Dobry den/dob-ree den), thanks, the bill etc Service can be unwelcoming at times but if you make the effort, they’re more open.

Cheers man. Couple of those on my list already so I’ll update accordingly to try and squeeze some more of those in. Is it generally Urqell and Starp everywhere you go? Would assume they have some wild local pilsners as well which you’d think would be good. 

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Cheers man. Couple of those on my list already so I’ll update accordingly to try and squeeze some more of those in. Is it generally Urqell and Starp everywhere you go? Would assume they have some wild local pilsners as well which you’d think would be good. 

Surprisingly little star around. PU way more prevalent. Some Gamberinus and Kozel around too 

10 hours ago, Stadt said:

Only learnt it phonetically from a Czech colleague at the time but remember "eeno pivko broseen" being how you asked for a beer. Ensured I always got a fuller pint than my mates when we were over there.

Only other Czech phrase I can remember by heart is how to wish someone Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Fvck knows why.

• Like 1

If anyone goes to Distillery, loaded dog, soar point, friary, walkabout or the railway in Leicester. They are all using a new app, MiXR, that you get a free drink (madri, Guinness, ect) when signing up. Also If someone refers you you both get a free £5 voucher. I've already got my mates signed up but if anyone else wanted the referral link here for the free £5 it's below:

Join MiXR using my code (RFN939A7) and link your bank card and we'll both get a £5.00 cash voucher!

https://mixrapp.page.link/GcTUAv114TutAXwr5

• Like 1