Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Mahrez replacements

11 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not sure if it was posted anywhere, but the Roma president said that Malcom turned us down to go to them (before Barca stepped in).

What between him saying that and the Iranian blokes agent, it is clear we are in the market and may be the reason we left it quite late to snatch him from Brighton as our main target was Malcom.

If we are looking at players like Malcom, it wouldn't surprise me if we're in for Leon Bailey either, we obviously are trying to get the very best to replace Mahrez and that'll only change as we keep getting knocked back. Let's hope we land one of them soon. I'm surprised Thorgan Hazard hasn't been linked again.

7 minutes ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Its a good window in my opinion, if we could get  Ziyech or somebody of that class would just top it off nicely.

Remember its very hard to gel a team together if you go mad and buy buy buy like West Ham or Everton last season.

Slowly but surely with quality best approach. 

Indeed, we heard all this West Ham stuff about Everton. Crazy spending on loads of untried (here) or injury hit players could back fire just as easily as it works. We'll see, got a half decent manager so they stand a chance.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ronnup said:

‘No one available or we can attract’

Thats the crux. We’ve had two years essentially. Not sure that’s good enough considering the financial growth we’ve had and planning time 

That was a temporary financial windfall. We are building a state of the art training centre and extension to the stadium. We still need to be financially secure, and there's needs to be a fine balance. Mahrez's fee was already spent before we saw him leave. I'm not saying that our owners won't dip in their pockets, but if the right player was out there, we've shown that we will go for them, and beat other teams to their signing too.

We have also overpaid in the last two years elsewhere, and we are bloated with high wage players that we need to incrementally shave off the wage pot, but we need to do this both at the right time, and for the right fee too.

19 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

That was a temporary financial windfall. We are building a state of the art training centre and extension to the stadium. We still need to be financially secure, and there's needs to be a fine balance. Mahrez's fee was already spent before we saw him leave. I'm not saying that our owners won't dip in their pockets, but if the right player was out there, we've shown that we will go for them, and beat other teams to their signing too.

We have also overpaid in the last two years elsewhere, and we are bloated with high wage players that we need to incrementally shave off the wage pot, but we need to do this both at the right time, and for the right fee too.

Fact is Pab, we’re a Vardy injury away from a relegation battle currently. And we’ve been expecting a huge hole in our team for two years.  Ow the hole has arrived and we don’t seem to have a clear contingency. Financial stability is not an issue for us at, but premiership stability is.  

Just now, ronnup said:

Fact is Pab, we’re a Vardy injury away from a relegation battle currently. And we’ve been expecting a huge hole in our team for two years.  Ow the hole has arrived and we don’t seem to have a clear contingency. Financial stability is not an issue for us at, but premiership stability is.  

We are addressing this. I expect that Gray's move forward, and possibly Musa? if not sold, will be used to spare Vardy as the season goes on. I don't think we're relegation fodder without a Mahrez, we've tried to cover aspects elsewhere and we'll still look to fill the position whether it's short-term or long-term that aligns with the strategy.

There's this significant doomsday pessimism about the season ahead, and it's not justified. If our friendlies (1st team) make us look absolutely useless, and by 3 months into the season when the new players and tactics are bedded I think we'll look back and see an unnecessary panic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ronnup said:

I honestly wouldn't be overly concerned about an injury if we kept Slim, he gets on the end of stuff and makes things happen. I'd be massively concerned if we had to rely on Shinji and Leo for goals. I know we have Iheancho, but I'm not entirely convinced he'd get the goals either. He certainly improved no end for about the last 5 or 6 games, but that was in the 10 position.

43 minutes ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Its a good window in my opinion, if we could get  Ziyech or somebody of that class would just top it off nicely.

Remember its very hard to gel a team together if you go mad and buy buy buy like West Ham or Everton last season.

Slowly but surely with quality best approach. 

I agree with this. When is the last time a team brought a ton of new players and immediately had success in the Premier League? Even some of the money teams like Chelsea and Man City didn't pull it off immediately. Our success came because we built up a good team that went through several ordeals (both good and bad) together. In the title season we did add Kante, Fuchs and Okazaki to the first eleven, but all of the other first team players had been at the club for a while. I'd argue that one of the reasons Burnley did so well last season is that they were more of a team than sides that spent a lot of money that finished below them.

Of course the Premier League is high pressure. With Wolves, Southampton, Huddersfield and Bournemouth in our first 6 games, poor results against some of those teams will turn up the pressure even more. Puel is already under scrutiny so it's a hard balancing act to give a coach enough time to gel a team together whilst maintaining the goals and objectives of both fans and owners.

I feel like after those games we will have a good indication of how our season will pan out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I honestly wouldn't be overly concerned about an injury if we kept Slim, he gets on the end of stuff and makes things happen. I'd be massively concerned if we had to rely on Shinji and Leo for goals. I know we have Iheancho, but I'm not entirely convinced he'd get the goals either. He certainly improved no end for about the last 5 or 6 games, but that was in the 10 position.

Between Iheanacho and Slimani or Iheanacho and Musa I'd not be as concerned as I am at the lack of creativity supplying any of our strikers, even Vardy.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Between Iheanacho and Slimani or Iheanacho and Musa I'd not be as concerned as I am at the lack of creativity supplying any of our strikers, even Vardy.

You're concerned about everything, I'm not sure how you make it through the day at the minute mate!

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. I'd back Kelechi, Slimani and Vardy to be able to get a decent number of goals, it's the creativity that's worrying. 

50 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

We are addressing this. I expect that Gray's move forward, and possibly Musa? if not sold, will be used to spare Vardy as the season goes on. I don't think we're relegation fodder without a Mahrez, we've tried to cover aspects elsewhere and we'll still look to fill the position whether it's short-term or long-term that aligns with the strategy.

There's this significant doomsday pessimism about the season ahead, and it's not justified. If our friendlies (1st team) make us look absolutely useless, and by 3 months into the season when the new players and tactics are bedded I think we'll look back and see an unnecessary panic.

The numbers don’t lie mate. All those goals and assists need finding. Glad you think Musa and Gray have got 10-15 in them each. It’ll be incredible if they have. I doubt it sadly. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Babylon said:

See that’s opinions for you. I don’t ever see us getting goals out of Slim the way we’ve played for 2-3 years. I do see Kelechi coming good however and replacing JV

On 25/07/2018 at 19:07, That_Dude said:

Fulham just signed Schürrle, the Wolves J. Moutinho the fck are we doing?

I'm relaxing enjoying the good weather.

You're panicking as usual.

I don't care if it's a "Mahrez replacement" as such but a new winger is essential for me. I like all three of them but going into the new season with only Albrighton, Gray and Diabate as our recognised first team wingers wouldn't fill me with confidence 

34 minutes ago, ronnup said:

See that’s opinions for you. I don’t ever see us getting goals out of Slim the way we’ve played for 2-3 years. I do see Kelechi coming good however and replacing JV

Puels style end of season involved a shit load of crosses... what does slim get on the end of.

39 minutes ago, ronnup said:

The numbers don’t lie mate. All those goals and assists need finding. Glad you think Musa and Gray have got 10-15 in them each. It’ll be incredible if they have. I doubt it sadly. 

Not necessarily, you concede fewer goals then you don't have to replace as many. Better set piece delivery and threat, attacking full backs, creative number 10 instead of shinji. The replacement should only have to find Albrighton like numbers if we improve the other areas. Which is what we've tried to do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not necessarily, you concede fewer goals then you don't have to replace as many. Better set piece delivery and threat, attacking full backs, creative number 10 instead of shinji. The replacement should only have to find Albrighton like numbers if we improve the other areas. Which is what we've tried to do.

That all makes a lot of sense. It also implies a lot of things changing. Hope you’re right. 

You can't replace Mahrez in a 1:1 fashion, but what we CAN and what we SHOULD do is look at the market and check for two younger, talented wingers (one for either flank) that are comfortable playing on either side.

I know football isn't as easy as maths, but surely once you have that pair at the ready, it should help compensate for the loss of Mahrez; plus (more) goals and assists from Maddison and other previously unknown sources (Iborra, Silva, Ricardo Pereira, Chilwell and the odd headed goal by whatever centre-back you fancy scoring).

3 minutes ago, ronnup said:

That all makes a lot of sense. It also implies a lot of things changing. Hope you’re right. 

We've changed the players to try and make it happen, IMO it's better to try that than rely on one man replacing Mahrez.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

You can't replace Mahrez in a 1:1 fashion, but what we CAN and what we SHOULD do is look at the market and check for two younger, talented wingers (one for either flank) that are comfortable playing on either side.

I know football isn't as easy as maths, but surely once you have that pair at the ready, it should help compensate for the loss of Mahrez; plus (more) goals and assists from Maddison and other previously unknown sources (Iborra, Silva, Ricardo Pereira, Chilwell and the odd headed goal by whatever centre-back you fancy scoring).

This js what I’m saying, we’ve had a long long time to try and find them.