Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

Why be a big club who has done **** all in your lifetime when you can be the only club to have won a major title at 5000/1 odds? I like being the underdog (when compared to the teams around us financially and historically), though I’m sure we all want to see the club develop.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OadbyBlue said:

Why be a big club who has done **** all in your lifetime when you can be the only club to have won a major title at 5000/1 odds? I like being the underdog (when compared to the teams around us financially and historically), though I’m sure we all want to see the club develop.

Quite agree. Also, our title win is referred to very frequently, it’s value to us as fans, the value of the achievement,  and the associated back story, is somewhat irritating to some traditional big clubs fans as it’s a flavour of success they can never achieve.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

The issue I have with the ‘big club’ debate, is how do you define whether a club is ‘big’ or not.

is it stadium attendance/capacity ? If so, aren’t Sunderland a bigger club than Chelsea. Is it by trophies won? If so, aren’t we are bigger then Spurs? Is it a club’s illustrious history? If so, how far back do we go?  Is a big club set in stone, or can a club become one (Man City). 

until you determine the criteria, it’s a pointless  normative debate.

It's how much money you generate or can invest. In reality they are primarily The Big Money 6 but also big in other ways.

Also for many years, hardly anyone supported Leicester from outside the county. 

No too many inside either. 

We are growing but seeing someone in a city shirt outside of Leicester, on a non match day, is still pretty rare. 

In Bedford, for example, the usual plastics and London clubs are here, but you're far more likely to see a Leeds shirt that a Leicester one, even though the city of Leeds is a lot further away. 

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Quite agree. Also, our title win is referred to very frequently, it’s value to us as fans, the value of the achievement,  and the associated back story, is somewhat irritating to some traditional big clubs fans as it’s a flavour of success they can never achieve.

I really enjoy that it's still being talked about in the MSM and why wouldn't it be as it was the greatest Premier League (or even football) story ever told. 

However, the underdog element does get overplayed as you'd think we were Accrington Stanley or someone rather than an historically already top 15 PL club. 

12 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Sorry - this is nonsense. Granted they don't experience the lows as bad as relegation and playing in the third tier but they still have bad lows.

When I was a kid, Liverpool were winning everything - I'd say then having to watch Man U lift that many Premier League trophies and even "little" Leicester win the Premier League before then would count as a bit of a low... 

It is very easy to feel superior supporting your local club compared to glory hunters supporting a big team, but they can live and die by their adopted team equally as much and to say they never experience lows is taking that superiority a bit too far. 

I get what you're saying - it's all relative. The lows for a club like ours are much lower than the lows for a club like Man Utd, and the relative lows for each club will feel about as bad for fans of either club.

However, I just don't believe that a glory grabber lives or dies by their club in the same way a fan of their local club does. I like ice hockey, and I like to watch the Panthers play sometimes. I do know that it would mean at least a bit more to me if I could follow a Leicester team, though.

We can be sure that no Man Utd fan will ever experience anything like what we did in 15/16. That was something so far beyond our expectations that is impossible for a club that big that has won so much to achieve - a PL, FA cup and CL treble isn't as far beyond what Man Utd fans expect as a PL title was above what we hoped for.

4 minutes ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

I would argue that is a consequence of being a big club. 

Well it doesn't apply to Man City and I would argue that without the money Villa and Leeds are as big as Spurs. We'll see what happens at Villa now they have very rich backers.

47 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

We can be sure that no Man Utd fan will ever experience anything like what we did in 15/16. That was something so far beyond our expectations that is impossible for a club that big that has won so much to achieve - a PL, FA cup and CL treble isn't as far beyond what Man Utd fans expect as a PL title was above what we hoped for.

I don’t know. For the true Man Utd fans, not the ones we mostly refer to.

Clinching the Champions League in stoppage time must have been an incredibly high for them. As would missing out on the PL title in stoppage time to Man City, have been an massive low. 

Don’t get me wrong, a massive proportion of Man Utd fans will have posted on Twitter, woken up the next day and forgotten about it to some extent. But for the Mancs amongst them, that Aguero goal must have really hurt them, having to go to work, the local etc and being rinsed by the fans of the ‘little club’ next door. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

59 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I don’t know. For the true Man Utd fans, not the ones we mostly refer to.

Clinching the Champions League in stoppage time must have been an incredibly high for them. As would missing out on the PL title in stoppage time to Man City, have been an massive low. 

Don’t get me wrong, a massive proportion of Man Utd fans will have posted on Twitter, woken up the next day and forgotten about it to some extent. But for the Mancs amongst them, that Aguero goal must have really hurt them, having to go to work, the local etc and being rinsed by the fans of the ‘little club’ next door. 

I do agree - that CL win must have been amazing, and losing the PL title to their neighbours in such dramatic style must have been a right kick in the nuts, but I stand by my point. Man Utd fans go into each season thinking that silverware is a possibility, however slim their chances, but there would have been no sane Leicester fan in 2015 seriously expecting that they'd witness their club win a PL title in their lifetime, let alone the very next year. It was just so ludicrous it's beyond compare to anything Man Utd fans could ever see their club do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I do agree - that CL win must have been amazing, and losing the PL title to their neighbours in such dramatic style must have been a right kick in the nuts, but I stand by my point. Man Utd fans go into each season thinking that silverware is a possibility, however slim their chances, but there would have been no sane Leicester fan in 2015 seriously expecting that they'd witness their club win a PL title in their lifetime, let alone the very next year. It was just so ludicrous it's beyond compare to anything Man Utd fans could ever see their club do.

Yeah I agree mate. 

I always think most Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool fans can switch off easily when they aren’t doing too well. 

Where as we used to be hoping that Matt Oakley was going to be fit to play against  Bradford City (or any other Champ/Lge 1 club). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

It's how much money you generate or can invest. In reality they are primarily The Big Money 6 but also big in other ways.

I don't believe the "big 6" is necessarily the same as the "top 6". As you say, the "big 6" is largely about wealth, which is the tangible factor, but there are also others such as history, location, reputation, international following etc. The terms "top 6" and "big 6" are - wrongly in my opinion - conflated. I would say the "big 6" is about the finances etc, whereas the "top 6" is about league position, and can therefore have a much more variable membership. Based on our league positions over the past couple of seasons, I'd say we currently have a good case to be regarded as a "top 6" team. However, financially, and based on our history etc, I'd say we couldn't claim to be in the "big 6".

Of course it suits the media's agenda to promote the "big 6" as the "top 6", to diminish the achievements and potential of clubs outside the "big 6" and to maintain the status of certain clubs regardless of their league position.

I don't care what anybody else says, and I don't want us to be considered 'big' 

We're high on the hog, living through the most exciting period of success and growth in the club's history. 

I'm totally happy enjoying that and watching all the idiots outside our happy little circle wondering what to make of it :scarf: