Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

As the title suggests I'm interested to know the views of forum members as to how we (or any other club for that matter) make the jump into the realms of a "big club"?  I currently get slightly irked when pundits and ex professionals call our players out to move to a "big club".  We are already seeing the decimation of our title winning team, so I'm curious as to how we can stop this happening in the future?

How do we turn ourselves into a big club without players wanting to jump ship?

To me it seems like a catch 22 situation.  You can only attract the best players if you are winning trophies and paying high wages, but you can only win trophies regularly if you have the top players and pay high wages!

Your views would be appreciated.

I think we have already grown into a club beyond or expectations even without the title win.  I think we are bigger than we have ever been in our history.

We can only try to grow organically with sustained success.  Easier said than done.  I'm sure West Brom fans were asking the same question last year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't think we'll ever be a big club. We're not in a big city and we don't have the history. We're destined to be a medium sized club for ever.

Man city didn't really have much history before they turned into this big club!  Whereas Forest do have history.  Are Forest classed as bigger club than Leicester?

Just now, pazzerfox said:

Man city didn't really have much history before they turned into this big club!  Whereas Forest do have history.  Are Forest classed as bigger club than Leicester?

You miss the point. Man City have always been a big club. 

Leicester is close enough to London that players can commute easily so that is a plus for us.

An expanded stadium & a state of the art training facility is a plus

An accredited top manager would be a plus

Finishing top six is an absolute necessity & must happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Man City had a better history than us and they're a big city club. Forest certainly were a major (big isn't the right word) club throughout the 80s but they're not now. Man U went 25 years without winning the league but they were always big.

6 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The thing is: To what extent do you want LCFC to become a "big" club?

Of course, it's nice to win things on a more regular level, but then again, I'm asking myself how far you can go in order to push further and further in terms of sportive success? Once you've won it all (multiple times), where else do you want to exceed?

On the whole, do you really fancy us becoming another Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool? Tottenham I exclude because they've won little since the switch to the Premier League moniker.

The prime example for me in order to illustrate this trend is/was Real Madrid winning the Champions League this year. Again. Once the celebrations started, the players came across as if they couldn't really be bothered at all! Here they were, with the most prestigious club football trophy and they celebrated as if they were partaking in a funeral.

Personally, I simply cherish the fact that I've been able to witness LCFC's League One campaign (as tough as relegation was in 2008, that season down there was highly important in bringing club and fans together), our Championship title triumph, the Great Escape, a Premier League title win and Champions League football.

That's what football is all about, at some stage, you can't recreate those feelings by winning title after title, it becomes the norm, it becomes boring, the excitement fades away.

Everything good must come to an end at some point, and I'd rather witness crazy ups and downs with this club, than ending up as a customer as part of an entreprise that has nothing better to do in order to stay afloat than to issue shares (go public) or charge you more and more for your complimentary replica t-shirt.

Cracking post.  I know exactly where you are coming from.  Does it not bother you though that all our top players get cherry picked from the big boys?

22 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

As the title suggests I'm interested to know the views of forum members as to how we (or any other club for that matter) make the jump into the realms of a "big club"?  

Be bought by owners who own a country or have lots of oil

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

Have they though?  I'm not so sure!

No offence mate. Might just be an age thing. Sheff Wednesay, Leeds and Bristol City are also giants waiting to be woken up. 

23 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't think we'll ever be a big club. We're not in a big city and we don't have the history. We're destined to be a medium sized club for ever.

We're not the biggest City but we are the only club in the City!  Apart from Barwell Sports. :)

2 minutes ago, l444ry said:

No offence mate. Might just be an age thing. Sheff Wednesay, Leeds and Bristol City are also giants waiting to be woken up. 

Non taken mate.  So are Wednesday, Leeds and Bristol City bigger clubs than us in your opinion?

Being a big club is based on current status not on history !! Leeds, forest & villa were once big but are no longer. When man c were relegated they were not a big club. Top six and Europe consistently keep you in the big club status.

• Like 2