Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
pazzerfox

Big Club!

• 2 years later...

Anyone see the debate Savage and Scholes were having on BT sport?  Savage saying there is no way Radgers should consider going to Arsenal and Scholes saying he should!  Very hard to shake this "small club" mentality off with some of these pundits, especially the ones that played the game back in the 80's, 90's and early 00's.

Would probably take a stadium expansion and a couple of years of top 4 finishes for a club like us to be seen as big (even temporarily). That, and ridiculously expensive signings, but that's not really how we operate

If it went on training facilities though, we are absolutely pissing on the opposition

8 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Why are some so arsed about what 94 IQ pundits have to say about us? 

Think it’s just they’re perpetuating the same old stuff about us on a national platform. I’m not too fussed, but can see why it’s frustrating.

Personally I really hope we can keep under the radar and keep surprising people. If we can get the stadium expanded soon and forge ahead with the recruitment at the new training ground, a lot of people will pay more attention soon enough. 

It played into our hands a treat during 15/16. Almost before every match the oppo fans were confident of winning as they were only playing Leicester (and they were much bigger). We were underestimated for the most part of the season and then it was too late. 

As annoying as it is that 'experts' and some fans look down on us, I'm quite comfortable that we still have our identity and don't attract the fashion fans that have no idea. 

I get the feeling that recognition of our status as an elite club is increasing but at the same time almost viewed that we are merely passing through and will soon be tomorrows chip paper. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Feel we're a very insecure fan base in this regard. After 15/16 when we were the darlings, anything that is written or said now that isn't total praise seems to wind a lot of people up.

• Like 1

Bren said last match. The big six is based on finances.

The city isn’t big enough to compete with London, Manchester or Liverpool.

Our fanbase is local. The only way to become a big club is to increase the global fanbase.

Greenbay Packers are the only example of a small city with a global fanbase.

I’m not against it but it’d feel somehow weird for that to happen to Leicester.

• Like 1

The thing is we’re being compared to the very biggest in the country, think about the clubs we would’ve been compared to 10 years ago, now we’re considered one of the best and maybe even biggest outside of that Big 6, the perception of us has already come a long way.

Edited by Yes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The elephant in the room is that in spite of the financial muscle of the so named big clubs, we are again ruining the narrative in footballing terms and put simply, neither the clubs themselves or Sky like it. If we break the top 6 again, how will Sky and the media fit us into their narrative? They can't really make it the big 7 can they?

We can't really compete with the others financially yet in some ways, but we are heading in a positive direction, doing things in the right way and competing in the table without spending 60-70 million on a "marquee" player every year and buying 4 or 5 others for tens of millions.

I think on the whole, other fans acknowledge that we are a force - we are showing that on a regular basis now. We just need to keep doing what we are doing, be more consistent in footballing terms, which really is the biggest challenge I would say.

We are showing up how badly Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea (and half of the rest of the league) are being run/managed, particularly in terms of recruitment, and they hate it.

Let them try and ignore us for as long as they want, we aren't going anywhere.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 2

On 13/07/2018 at 21:00, pazzerfox said:

As the title suggests I'm interested to know the views of forum members as to how we (or any other club for that matter) make the jump into the realms of a "big club"?  I currently get slightly irked when pundits and ex professionals call our players out to move to a "big club".  We are already seeing the decimation of our title winning team, so I'm curious as to how we can stop this happening in the future?

How do we turn ourselves into a big club without players wanting to jump ship?

To me it seems like a catch 22 situation.  You can only attract the best players if you are winning trophies and paying high wages, but you can only win trophies regularly if you have the top players and pay high wages!

Your views would be appreciated.

I know what you are saying.How,with us getting 32k virtually every game can we be called a small club?when we won the league even Ranieri called us ‘Little Leicester’.When we expand the stadium we will be bigger.Only last week an ex pro said that a huge club like Derby shouldn’t be near bottom of the championship!!It does piss me off!Another commentator said Forest were a sleeping Giant.Really?Does two European cups make you a giant?I suppose the better we do,the bigger we’ll become.

• Like 1

The main issue as stated with savage and scholes is at the end of every season we will lose at least 1 key player from our starting XI. Whether it’s Maguire or Chilwell. Yes we get the better deal a lot of times but we’ll continue to be behind these so called big clubs when we continue to do this. Our recruitment in recent years has been one of the best in the league and I agree the replacements have been value for money and if anything better than the ones we’ve let go. Obviously we can’t turn down some of the offers we have for our players and it helps us improve in other areas but it just increases the gap between us and the so-called big clubs. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Bren said last match. The big six is based on finances.

The city isn’t big enough to compete with London, Manchester or Liverpool.

Our fanbase is local. The only way to become a big club is to increase the global fanbase.

Greenbay Packers are the only example of a small city with a global fanbase.

I’m not against it but it’d feel somehow weird for that to happen to Leicester.

You see, i find this confusing.  The population of Liverpool is around 500k and they have 2 clubs.  The population of Leicester is around 360k and we are a one club City.  Manchester is slightly bigger but they also have 2 clubs.

Edited by pazzerfox

4 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

You see, i find this confusing.  The population of Liverpool is around 500k and they have 2 clubs.  The population of Leicester is around 360k and we are a one club City.  Manchester is slightly bigger but they also have 2 clubs.

It’s the metro areas you need to look at. Liverpool and Manchester are around the million and two million mark.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Speedwell 🦊 said:

I don’t think they have.They didn’t fill Maine Rd that often before the Arabs took over.It’s the same with Chelsea.

I knew 1 Man City fan in my glory hunter Surrey village growing up and they were mocked by all the liverpool, arsenal and man utd fans for supporting a small club who'd never win anything.  Funny how things change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Good point. I think it is more a case of why do so many Bell-ends seem to get media gigs?  If you previously paid for either of Manure or Liverpool you are nailed on to get a job in punditry regardless of your IQ and brain cell count. 

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

We arent a big club but we arent little old Leicester anymore either, we as a club now are light years ahead of the club we were the season we won the league.

spot on!

For reasons others have said, we will never be a 'big club'. Not located in a major city nor do we have the glamorous history. I couldn't give two hoots though as this is my club and I quite like it the way it is. It still feels like a club with local ties and not some global corporation that happens to trade in football