Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I agree with that. We are a surprise package at the moment. However, I think the league position is slightly flattering to us and it could all go pear-shaped rather quickly.

I just don't understand why on earth we're able to beat teams like the current champions and Chelsea, with Puel then pulling such a clanger with the initial tactics, personnel and in-game decisions against Cardiff, Newport and Southampton.

Even Everton away was so dire, with us lucky to pick up a win.

The guy's an enigma, and in the long run, his stubbornness will cost him his job. He shies away from leaving a particular comfort zone and I find it somewhat lackadaisical to promote this as "progress" or "trying to make progress". He seems to take pride in "trying" and then blames the failure not on himself, evades taking responsibility.

Also, I wouldn't say that there are that many fans that have written off the season, I'd argue most of them realize what potential we still have looking at finishing 7th in the extremely positive case. All in all, the perception that I have is that the manager is willingly happy not risking too much, in particular but also against "weaker" teams. For every positive result we get (and some of them were fantastic when you look at the financial prowess of Manchester City or Chelsea), we get a setback in the shape of Cardiff, Newport or Southampton.

And the football on show is really, really cringeworthy. Too often.

We need to be more aggressive against teams like Cardiff etc..  I really think half of it is down to the youth of our team.  Maybe there is a ability there, but a lack of nous?

The debate is always whether its the manager or these players.

I remember the first game of the season after winning the title, against Hull where we lost 1-2 and couldnt break down that stubborn defence, even with Mahrez, scoring a free kick I think?

Feels like that was the start of this current phase.  Puel has just encouraged us to pass the ball along the floor more, so everyone thinks he's makign us pass to the point where we are rubbish at breaking teams down.  I think we've been rubbish at it for ages

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 3

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

We need to be more aggressive against teams like Cardiff etc..  I really think half of it is down to the youth of our team.  Maybe there is a ability there, but a lack of nous?

The debate is always whether its the manager or these players.

I remember the first game of the season after winning the title against Hull where we lost 1-2 and couldnt break down that stubborn defence, even with Mahrez, scoring a free kick I think?

Feels like that was the start of this current phase.  Puel has just encouraged us to pass the ball along the floor more, so everyone thinks he's makign us pass to the point where we are rubbish at breaking teams down.  I think we've been rubbish at it for ages

Well, here's another curious case: If you put it down to a lack of experience (in particular, but not only, in midfield) - why did we let a player such as Iborra go and why isn't Silva playing more often? Why not putting Pereira up on the wing and using Simpson as right-back? Why still persisting with a single striker up front that doesn't see much of the action or the ball on a regular basis? Why the long balls forward that don't go anywhere?

It's a bit of a two-edged sword to promote youth players, whilst sacrificing sportive success. How long do you think we'd have to be patient to endure more of this "one step forward, one step back" approach? What does success mean to a club like Leicester and where do the ambitions lie? I can't just be finishing mid-table every season now, with nothing else to play for.

The issue seems to be whether performance matters more than points? Or vice versa? And the fact is, it depends.

If you're struggling not to be relegated or pushing to win the league then you need the points however you get them. In these cases a lot of the excitement from "winning ugly" comes as you close or widen the gap with rivals. The tension of the match - those moments where it could have gone the other way, are part of the enjoyment/agony. In some ways Puel is a victim of his own success - we don't need the points on a week to week basis because we already have a fair few in the bank. So fans are entitled to say where does that excitement come from? For many of us it would come from seeing raw youth developing into Premier League match-winners. Players getting better and forming profitable partnerships with the older. more experienced players. New players, melding into the team and making a difference. A sense that - yes we are mid table - but the club is on an upward curve. Maybe next season will see us able to make more of a challenge.  

Puel's teams provide none of that. His supporters say as a plus that he plays younger players and that is undeniable. But in what way is Demarai Gray improving? Week after week he puts on the same show. Step overs, Cruyff turns, tricks and treats leave opponents trailing...... followed by zilch. A master of hitting the side netting. Now do I believe that extensive work is being done by DG and the coaching team to ensure he delivers end product? I'm afraid I don't - because on the pitch, I see no evidence of even a marginal improvement. It's not enough to see young players get game-time - they need to develop into players who deliver match-winning performances on a regular basis.

And if you're making your judgement on points total and can't understand why everyone is so down on Puel, let me offer an explanation. I watched our victories at home to Wolves and away to Everton. It is no exaggeration to say we could have been 3-0 down by the 20 minute mark in both games. It's fine to emphasise the points total and the league position but even in victory, this side often plays for just one half and rides its luck as it does so. I can think of NO league game this season (even Huddersfield took the lead at the KP) in which we have utterly dominated the opposition.

Finally,in the Premier League, there is, in reality, very little difference between mid table and the bottom places. I've just been speaking to a Baggies fan who reminded me Pulis had them finishing tenth not so long ago - the next season they went down. Hughes' Stoke the same - ninth to relegation. And it's not as if the circumstances in which we'd spiral downwards are unforeseeable. An injury to Vardy, loss of form in the defence, an inability to get out of a rut like the one we got into in the second half of last season, no tactical solution to the deep block, informed speculation about us losing Chilwell, Maguire, Choudhury. Any combination of those could see us able to pick up only a minimal number of points over a very long period. As some on here have already pointed out, there are already some aspects to our form which are the hallmark of relegation candidates,   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I agree with that. We are a surprise package at the moment. However, I think the league position is slightly flattering to us and it could all go pear-shaped rather quickly.

I just don't understand why on earth we're able to beat teams like the current champions and Chelsea, with Puel then pulling such a clanger with the initial tactics, personnel and in-game decisions against Cardiff, Newport and Southampton.

Even Everton away was so dire, with us lucky to pick up a win.

The guy's an enigma, and in the long run, his stubbornness will cost him his job. He shies away from leaving a particular comfort zone and I find it somewhat lackadaisical to promote this as "progress" or "trying to make progress". He seems to take pride in "trying" and then blames the failure not on himself, evades taking responsibility.

Also, I wouldn't say that there are that many fans that have written off the season, I'd argue most of them realize what potential we still have looking at finishing 7th in the extremely positive case. All in all, the perception that I have is that the manager is willingly happy not risking too much, in particular but also against "weaker" teams. For every positive result we get (and some of them were fantastic when you look at the financial prowess of Manchester City or Chelsea), we get a setback in the shape of Cardiff, Newport or Southampton.

And the football on show is really, really cringeworthy. Too often.

The highlighted section sums us up at the moment, and explains much of thr frustration the fans feel. How can you beat the rich, big clubs be go down against the Cardiffs and Newports of the world.

This, and it must in a large part just go down to Puel and the tactics used.

On the plus, the defence is better, allowing results such as Man City and Chelsea, where we are able to remain solid and revert to recent historical form and utlise a counter attacking style.

However, on the negative side, he is (or is extremely unlucky - which I do not believe) is too wary of taking the initiative against Cardiff/Newport, and as such we get what we delivered against top sides.

Everton is the anamoly in recent results, as we won, quite how is more unclear, presumably the result was not dissimilar to Man City, Chelsea, also assisted by Everton being as incisve as we were against Newport.

Home is, and will continue to be a Catch 22 situation in part, as we won`t create a better atmosphere without better results, and we won`t get better results without a better atmosphere at home.

Returning to why Puel cannot take the initiative, I suspect you are correct and he is primarily focused on not losing, but he needs to be brave and have greater trust in the players. His management, after giving players this trust, should have the flip side of benching those who continue to not deliver with consistency.

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, here's another curious case: If you put it down to a lack of experience (in particular, but not only, in midfield) - why did we let a player such as Iborra go and why isn't Silva playing more often? Why not putting Pereira up on the wing and using Simpson as right-back? Why still persisting with a single striker up front that doesn't see much of the action or the ball on a regular basis? Why the long balls forward that don't go anywhere?

It's a bit of a two-edged sword to promote youth players, whilst sacrificing sportive success. How long do you think we'd have to be patient to endure more of this "one step forward, one step back" approach? What does success mean to a club like Leicester and where do the ambitions lie? I can't just be finishing mid-table every season now, with nothing else to play for.

I personally have never been sure Iborra could have helped us much, but as for him and Silva yeah, its odd that they didnt get more chances and I cant explain that.  Only the staff/Puel coudl tell us that.

I think Simpson at RB wouldnt help us break down teams.  I love having a proper attacking RB in Ricardo and think Gray in front of him instead of Albrighton more often would be grand.

As far as the striker goes, most people had doubts about Slimani, Ulloa really wasnt a long term option for us... IDK.  We just havent found that striker.  Nacho isnt it yet, if he ever will be for us - this summer is high time we got that striker in though

Having two attacking full backs usually carrying the ball and two wingers we are doubling up and crowded.

Due to the apparent lack of need to play creative midfielders all of the play goes down the flanks and it isn't working.

We are getting very predictable and easy to suss and counter.

We are becoming a one trick pony with the Kasper to Chilwell to flick on 

2 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

I watched our victories at home to Wolves and away to Everton. It is no exaggeration to say we could have been 3-0 down by the 20 minute mark in both games.

Wolves, maybe, but Everton? No chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, here's another curious case: If you put it down to a lack of experience (in particular, but not only, in midfield) - why did we let a player such as Iborra go and why isn't Silva playing more often?

Because they are shit and the players out of the team would be Mendy and Albrighton who also are experimented players ?

- "Why still persisting with a single striker up front that doesn't see much of the action or the ball on a regular basis?

Because Iheanacho and Okazaki are shit ?

- Why the long balls forward that don't go anywhere?

What ? I thought I've read here countless times we never played counter attack again, which is the only exciting and productive brand of football existing in the whole universe.

- "It's a bit of a two-edged sword to promote youth players, whilst sacrificing sportive success."

Except it's not sacrificed. We're 8th for **** sake. It's kind of amazing in this context.

- How long do you think we'd have to be patient to endure more of this "one step forward, one step back" approach?

Personnally, I'll judge him on results only next season if he's still there, since he would have get rid of the majority of the old guard and brought his own players.

- What does success mean to a club like Leicester and where do the ambitions lie?

Doing the best we can to ensure long term success. Tottenham didn't became what was Top 4 level back then in two seasons.

- I can't just be finishing mid-table every season now, with nothing else to play for.

So, maybe you support the wrong club, because even if the goal is to break into the top 6, the success is far from guaranteed.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, yks said:

Because they are shit and the players out of the team would be Mendy and Albrighton who also are experimented players ?

- "Why still persisting with a single striker up front that doesn't see much of the action or the ball on a regular basis?

Because Iheanacho and Okazaki are shit ?

- Why the long balls forward that don't go anywhere?

What ? I thought I've read here countless times we never played counter attack again, which is the only exciting and productive brand of football existing in the whole universe.

- "It's a bit of a two-edged sword to promote youth players, whilst sacrificing sportive success."

Except it's not sacrificed. We're 8th for **** sake. It's kind of amazing in this context.

- How long do you think we'd have to be patient to endure more of this "one step forward, one step back" approach?

Personnally, I'll judge him on results only next season if he's still there, since he would have get rid of the majority of the old guard and brought his own players.

- What does success mean to a club like Leicester and where do the ambitions lie?

Doing the best we can to ensure long term success. Tottenham didn't became what was Top 4 level back then in two seasons.

- I can't just be finishing mid-table every season now, with nothing else to play for.

So, maybe you support the wrong club, because even if the goal is to break into the top 6, the success is far from guaranteed.

Wow, so much "shit" in one post.

Iheanacho isn't shit, he's just completely out of form. Either because he isn't being played or because he can't replace Vardy up front (yet). If I remember correctly, Iheanacho playing behind Vardy worked well last season, so why not trying it again?

Okazaki isn't shit, he's just slightly past it, hasn't played that much for us this season, anyway. I think he can still offer something to a lower-table PL team, or else moving abroad or back to Japan. I wouldn't question his fitness levels.

Puel's persistence with one striker up front is his decision. As a consequence, other strikers hardly get a look in.

As for the long ball question, you simply evaded it. Again, what's the point in playing this way when we have no striker to work off it up front? Makes no sense. Who gives these instructions? Yep, you guessed it right. The manager.

I can wait for a manager bringing his own players in - but what happened last summer? We've now had Diabaté (vanished completely), Pereira (a revelation after a slow start), Ghezzal (a ghost), Ward (backup keeper), Söyüncü (bit of a bombshell still), Benkovic (getting lots of praise in Scotland, but not played in the Premier League yet), Evans (good, but often injured), Maddison (highly promising in increments, sometimes still too rash in his decision-making).

How many more players of his does he need to bring in? How many more years before we actually make an attempt at getting to 7th or at least try and win a cup for once? As I said, it can't be the only ambition to remain a mid-table team for eternity, constantly shifting between 8th and 17th.

Yes, we have indeed sacrificed sportive success again. Again, we've thrown the FA Cup and League Cup away under Puel. We're currently 8th in the league. As stated before, there's little to no room for improvement looking up in the table, but plenty of space looking down. Next four matches consist of three against Top Six teams. Let's see where we are comes May. What is clear is that we cannot approach matches against the likes of Crystal Palace, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford or Fulham the way we did against Cardiff or Southampton. Cautious, ponderous, lacklustre, defensive, passive.

Maybe I support the wrong club after roughly twenty-five years of ups and downs, heartache, disillusionment, two relegations, three promotions, League One adventures to Hereford, playoff heartache at Cardiff and whatnot, what do I know. I just happened to be here long before you came along.

What is clear is that you don't support the club at all, you support the manager first and foremost. That is quite clear from your comments on here - popping up mostly whenever somebody has something bad to say about Claude Puel, even if it's justified. Are you being paid to do this?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dames said:

The last sentence is absolutely key and if this started happening people wouldn't be so against Puel. A lot of people are pessimistic because A) the manager has told us to stop being optimistic with his 'reality check' B) we aren't winning games against those around or below us and C) the football is god awful.

The saving grace is that we've also picked up some unexpected wins against the top sides but a lot of fans are pessimistic because you can't base your whole season on picking up unexpected wins yet performing consistently poorly and not getting the results against the bread and butter. Those unexpected wins will eventually dry and and you have to absolutely start attacking and beating those around you to be successful, recent history suggests that Puel hasn't got this right and he might be running out of time.

He didnt tell anyone to stop being optimistic and we have won games against those around and below us.

We've had two results against big teams, that is it. Where did all the other points come from?

8 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Having two attacking full backs usually carrying the ball and two wingers we are doubling up and crowded.

Due to the apparent lack of need to play creative midfielders all of the play goes down the flanks and it isn't working.

We are getting very predictable and easy to suss and counter.

We are becoming a one trick pony with the Kasper to Chilwell to flick on 

this 

Iheanacho isn't shit, he's just completely out of form. Either because he isn't being played or because he can't replace Vardy up front (yet). If I remember correctly, Iheanacho playing behind Vardy worked well last season, so why not trying it again?

Okazaki isn't shit, he's just slightly past it, hasn't played that much for us this season, anyway. I think he can still offer something to a lower-table PL team, or else moving abroad or back to Japan. I wouldn't question his fitness levels.

They are clearly not good enough to be starters for now, but there is still hope for Iheanacho.

Puel's persistence with one striker up front is his decision. As a consequence, other strikers hardly get a look in.

As for the long ball question, you simply evaded it. Again, what's the point in playing this way when we have no striker to work off it up front? Makes no sense. Who gives these instructions? Yep, you guessed it right. The manager.

One striker > no striker.

I can wait for a manager bringing his own players in - but what happened last summer? We've now had Diabaté (vanished completely), Pereira (a revelation after a slow start), Ghezzal (a ghost), Ward (backup keeper), Söyüncü (bit of a bombshell still), Benkovic (getting lots of praise in Scotland, but not played in the Premier League yet), Evans (good, but often injured), Maddison (highly promising in increments, sometimes still too rash in his decision-making).

How many more players of his does he need to bring in? How many more years before we actually make an attempt at getting to 7th or at least try and win a cup for once? As I said, it can't be the only ambition to remain a mid-table team for eternity, constantly shifting between 8th and 17th.

I can't wait either.
About 5 or 6..
We are currently making an effort at getting to 7th, so 0 years.
We tried to win the Carabao Cup but the players clearly don't even know how to shoot a proper penalty.

Yes, we have indeed sacrificed sportive success again. Again, we've thrown the FA Cup and League Cup away under Puel. We're currently 8th in the league. As stated before, there's little to no room for improvement looking up in the table, but plenty of space looking down. Next four matches consist of three against Top Six teams. Let's see where we are comes May. What is clear is that we cannot approach matches against the likes of Crystal Palace, Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford or Fulham the way we did against Cardiff or Southampton. Cautious, ponderous, lacklustre, defensive, passive.

Anyway, how many FA Cups and Carabo have we won in the past ?
23 shots against Southampton, 16 against Cardiff. Not cautious at all.

Maybe I support the wrong club after roughly twenty-five years of ups and downs, heartache, disillusionment, two relegations, three promotions, League One adventures to Hereford, playoff heartache at Cardiff and whatnot, what do I know. I just happened to be here long before you came along.

Please, transmit me your adress ASAP so I can send you your medal.

What is clear is that you don't support the club at all, you support the manager first and foremost. That is quite clear from your comments on here - popping up mostly whenever somebody has something bad to say about Claude Puel, even if it's justified. Are you being paid to do this?

Yep.
My mission statement is: trying to save the club from the morons by educating them about the basics of football and maths.
I think I deserve a raise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yks said:

Yep.
My mission statement is: trying to save the club from the morons by educating them about the basics of football and maths.
I think I deserve a raise.

If you think performances and results at home against the likes of Cardiff and a ten man Southampton and an away loss to a league 2 side are acceptable and showing no consistency after beating Man City and Chelsea then it’s you who is the moron who needs educating,pull your head out of Puels arse,it’s fanatical hysterical maniacal and sickening. 

• Thanks 1

well let’s be honest there’s two very distinct camps and no one is really going to change peoples minds on masse...

whats your priority?

1. highest league position possible.

2. enjoyable football.

it doesn’t seem like we will get both with Puel. 

no one is is a moron , is deluded or needs to go away for picking either preference. i wish people would stop that kind of talk.

Edited by MPH
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Babylon said:

He didnt tell anyone to stop being optimistic and we have won games against those around and below us.

We've had two results against big teams, that is it. Where did all the other points come from?

Come on what was the purpose of the ‘reality check’ if not to dampen expectations and by proxy optimism? As fans we are going to want the team to finish as high up as possible and he pretty much said we can’t compete with those around us. Instead he should have been firing everyone associated with the club up.

If we didnt have those 2 results we’d be in 13th on an even more awful run of form. Yes we’d have picked up the rest of the points from outside the top 6 but team are fast running out of confidence and ideas and if recent trends keep up its difficult to see where the rest of the points needed to finish 7th or even top 10 are coming from.

Only game I can see us winning thats coming up is Spurs because they will be weaker in attack than we are. But it wouldnt surprise me either if Puel pulled out a good run of results because he always manages something when things are most dire.

Puel has two ways to suceed.  Build a great team... or set low expectations...

It beggers belief that now is the time for him to embark on the latter.

His dissing of supprters' protests and then trying to dampen our hopes is a sacking offence.

If i were him i would respond by saying:

"i understand the frustration and concerns of our fans. .. such and such is what i am trying to do... in the short term our focus is x and y. .. 

we want an exiciting style of play that brings sucess.  we all need to dream and to do so we must put the right foundation in place and then committ to improve ..rementlessly.   

This is our journey and we all need to pull together.  I cannot do this without the support of the fans, the players and the owners.   My commitment is to assess our position and challenges with honesty and openness and i will share this with you ... there will be ups and downs but together we will prevail."

Edited by foxinsocks

1 hour ago, Dames said:

If we didnt have those 2 results we’d be in 13th on an even more awful run of form. 

But we did have them. It's the same argument as saying "if we'd beaten Cardiff and Southampton we'd be 7th and breathing down Man Utd & Arsenals necks". But, presumably you don't think that's a fair defence of him, because we didn't beat those two

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Have you even read the article? He didn't once say the fans or anyone needed a reality check, the mercury put that headline.

He said...

“To finish seventh in the first half season with all problems we have had, it’s a very good performance. If people believe we have to be sixth, that it should be our place, it is not the truth. It’s not possible. And if they think eighth is not good enough, it’s crazy."

“It was exceptional that Leicester won the title. If not it would be easy all the time to win the title. It was exceptional. If people think that was normal in the Premier League it is not the truth. This club won the title and the expectation from all around the club, from fans sometimes and from people and journalists, the expectation is more advanced. It’s a higher level.

There’s a difference in the possibilities for Leicester and what people want to achieve and dream of, and what they are expect from us. I accept this but all the time after a bad result there is pressure, and other teams with more money and more possibilities are behind us don’t have noise, speculation or other things. They can work with calm, without a problem."

As far as competing with teams around us he was talking money. You should really try reading things before commenting.  I've highlighted what the mercury said and what he said as clearly the quotation marks mean nothing in the article.

Mercury: City made seven signings last summer but after the sales of Riyad Mahrez and Ahmed Musa, they had an estimated net spend of just £25million.

Puel said the truth was they couldn’t go out and compete with the top clubs in the Premier League for ready-made players, but instead were invested in youth they feel they can develop themselves.

Puel: Do we have the same possibilities and money as Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Everton, West Ham or Wolves? Do we have same possibilities? No,” said Puel. “How can we compete against these teams? We can’t buy the same players, experienced and consistent with a fantastic level."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said.

If Wolves didn't have a good record against the top 6 they'd be in the bottom half also. You can't remove our results against certain teams and say that would put us in x or y position without doing the same to others. That's just ridiculous and you aren't judging teams equally.

Alright I hold my hands up I admit I probably read into it with too much bias in regards to his comments. There is always a slightly negative spin on what he says but i’ve took it to an extreme. 

I think its the fact he added in Everton West Ham and Wolves - maybe we can’t offer stupid amounts of money all the time but we are just as an attractive proposition if not more so and to say we cant compete is negative. We can’t compete in every transfer as it would be unwise financially but we can’t just look to not make a deal if those teams are interested either and it does come across like that. He needs to be putting a more positive spin on things, don’t mention the teams just say if we see a player we like we will absolutely do our best to sign that player no matter who we are competing with.

As for the results part - I do stand by the fact we have to start performing consistently better against the teams around us if anything for the confidence of the players because they are starting these games with absolutely no belief in themselves. Its a mindset that needs to be broken. The problem with Puel is that he seems to be deflecting things at the minute - he says the same things in interviews about (and i hate quoting this) playing with more intensity and quality but they never come. Its time he just put his hands up and admits he’s got it wrong lately but things will change. 

He’d have a lot more people on board if he wasn’t so closed off, deflective, negative and stubborn.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

But we did have them. It's the same argument as saying "if we'd beaten Cardiff and Southampton we'd be 7th and breathing down Man Utd & Arsenals necks". But, presumably you don't think that's a fair defence of him, because we didn't beat those two

We would be and we didn’t beat those teams due to his negative tactics and style of play. He got the tactics right against Man City and Chelsea and deserves credit for that but equally he’s got it wrong several times this season too.

Its just a constant feeling of ‘what if?’ compounded by the safety first tactics. If we went gung ho against the teams and still lost there would be less animosity against him but the problem is we played so poorly for the majority of the games creating little in the way of genuine clear cut chances it leaves people thinking ‘if only’. 

Eventually people are going to start to question and wonder if someone else can get more out of this team.

13 minutes ago, Dames said:

Alright I hold my hands up I admit I probably read into it with too much bias in regards to his comments. There is always a slightly negative spin on what he says but i’ve took it to an extreme.

Fair play, it wasn't just you the majority read too much into it.

I think its the fact he added in Everton West Ham and Wolves - maybe we can’t offer stupid amounts of money all the time but we are just as an attractive proposition if not more so and to say we cant compete is negative. We can’t compete in every transfer as it would be unwise financially but we can’t just look to not make a deal if those teams are interested either and it does come across like that. He needs to be putting a more positive spin on things, don’t mention the teams just say if we see a player we like we will absolutely do our best to sign that player no matter who we are competing with.

He's had to sell to buy, the other three have had huge net spends (Everton and West Ham especially). If he's seeing direct rivals being able to spend freely to the tune of £70m / £50m net more in one window than he can, then he's within his rights to say we can't go buying the the players they are. He knows his budgets.

Wolves, we'll see on that one. Promoted teams often spend a lot first season, but with their Mendes tie in I think it's likely they are going to keep spending for some time.

His point is basically not that we aren't attractive, not that they aren't more of a pull, but simply they had more to spend. He had to lose his best and most creative player who we could never replace, for him to strengthen the squad. To compete against that is difficult.

As for the results part - I do stand by the fact we have to start performing consistently better against the teams around us if anything for the confidence of the players because they are starting these games with absolutely no belief in themselves.

I don't think anyone would disagree, but lets to look at all teams and just treat him and our results fairly. This isn't just an issue with us, every team has been losing against ones you'd think they should be beating. If they weren't then we'd be a lot lower in the table.

The problem with Puel is that he seems to be deflecting things at the minute - he says the same things in interviews about (and i hate quoting this) playing with more intensity and quality but they never come. Its time he just put his hands up and admits he’s got it wrong lately but things will change. 

He’d have a lot more people on board if he wasn’t so closed off, deflective, negative and stubborn.

He's deflecting because he's sat in press conferences being asked if not finishing 7th is a failure. It's clearly not a failure... especially when we've had a lot more to deal with than most this season. He's not just coming out with these things, he's being asked frankly silly questions and he's defending himself and the team. He's not trying to have a go at fans, he actually specifically only mentions journalists in the other mercury article.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Fair play, it wasn't just you the majority read too much into it.

He's had to sell to buy, the other three have had huge net spends (Everton and West Ham especially). If he's seeing direct rivals being able to spend freely to the tune of £70m / £50m net more in one window than he can, then he's within his rights to say we can't go buying the the players they are. He knows his budgets.

Wolves, we'll see on that one. Promoted teams often spend a lot first season, but with their Mendes tie in I think it's likely they are going to keep spending for some time.

His point is basically not that we aren't attractive, not that they aren't more of a pull, but simply they had more to spend. He had to lose his best and most creative player who we could never replace, for him to strengthen the squad. To compete against that is difficult.

I don't think anyone would disagree, but lets to look at all teams and just treat him and our results fairly. This isn't just an issue with us, every team has been losing against ones you'd think they should be beating. If they weren't then we'd be a lot lower in the table.

He's deflecting because he's sat in press conferences being asked if not finishing 7th is a failure. It's clearly not a failure... especially when we've had a lot more to deal with than most this season. He's not just coming out with these things, he's being asked frankly silly questions and he's defending himself and the team. He's not trying to have a go at fans, he actually specifically only mentions journalists in the other mercury article.

I hear a lot of what you're saying and I do agree to an extent.

I think a lot of this is down to Puels generally negative outlook in terms of the football he plays and the way he conducts himself in interviews. I think he struggles to get his point across in a way that can't be percieved as negative - I don't know if its a language issue or he's just generally that way. I'm finding that myself and a lot of fans are finding it hard to warm to him even when he has evidence to back up his cause.

I'd argue however that we shouldn't be focusing or looking at teams around us in terms of results and transfers as this can be used to deflect away from the issues we are having. I've mentioned previously that whilst Puel is doing a steady enough job in terms of clearing out players and accumulating points there just seems to be this feeling of 'what if?' hanging around because of the negative way he sets us up. I think a lot of fans are frustrated because the way we are setting up is so negative as i've said as fans we are optimistic naturally and the way things have gone most people are left thinking if we beat the teams we should be beating we'd be in for a really successful season pushing for Europe in the league and in the next round of the FA cup at least. We shouldn't be looking at results in and around us but only focusing on our own results/performances, to be honest the fact the teams in and around us are so inconsistent doesn't back up Puels cause because if anything he's failed to capitalise on that.

I know every game in this league isn't easy but I think he'd have a lot more patience from the fans if he just set the team up to go for it, especially at home where results have been poor for well over 12 months now. If you lose playing positively its easier to take because you can see the team going in a certain direction but currently we are dropping points from an overly cautious style of play and reluctance to make a real commitment in terms of attack. People can quote statistics etc but they don't tell the full picture, a lot of our shots are pot shots either off target or at the keeper and our main method of attack is floating a cross from deep to a maximum of 2 people below 6ft in the box. We don't show any real intent in terms of attack until we are a goal or two behind and that point its too late.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dames said:

I've mentioned previously that whilst Puel is doing a steady enough job in terms of clearing out players and accumulating points there just seems to be this feeling of 'what if?' hanging around because of the negative way he sets us up.

Under Ranieri 2 or Shakey, no one was asking "what if?" because everyone know we were constantly shit.
People are asking "what if?" now because we show during some games what our true potentiel is, but instead of congratulating Puel for allowing us to play at this level sometimes, they bash him because he can't repeat it every game. That's kind of insane. He is in a way a victim of his own success.

• Like 1