Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Claude Puel calls for a Leicester City reality check

Once again Puel has dug a huge hole (we now have four tough fixtures with no points buffer between us and the teams below) largely because, for whatever reason, he failed to press two weak teams at home in order to seize the initiative and create a platform for victory. Unfortunately this pattern keeps repeating. It makes you wonder if this is a deliberate policy designed to dampen expectations.

1 minute ago, SixtiesFox said:

Once again Puel has dug a huge hole (we now have four tough fixtures with no points buffer between us and the teams below) largely because, for whatever reason, he failed to press two weak teams at home in order to seize the initiative and create a platform for victory. Unfortunately this pattern keeps repeating. It makes you wonder if this is a deliberate policy designed to dampen expectations.

This is bordering on paranoia SixtiesFox

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

He's starting to get a lot of stick in the media which hasn't happened that much before. I think this is the beginning of the end, our board won't want to get rid of him yet but it might be forced upon them much quicker if this continues.

Why would they be forced to? I doubt they care what the media say. As for the fans, I imagine that they hope that eventually Puel will pull through and bring in more attacking football with the assistance of signings after the summer to appease the Puel outers. I doubt they would sack a manager who is getting results and transitioning the squad pretty much exactly the way they want. 

Just now, Nicolo Barella said:

Why would they be forced to? I doubt they care what the media say. As for the fans, I imagine that they hope that eventually Puel will pull through and bring in more attacking football with the assistance of signings after the summer to appease the Puel outers. I doubt they would sack a manager who is getting results and transitioning the squad pretty much exactly the way they want. 

Purely because the whole tide is turning against him, once that happens it makes it much easier for the board to be manipulated in to something. Fans will jump all over it as well, with 4 very tough games coming up it might reaching breaking point. Seen it happen too often before in football. He's not far off now, I don't see a way back for him.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Purely because the whole tide is turning against him, once that happens it makes it much easier for the board to be manipulated in to something. Fans will jump all over it as well, with 4 very tough games coming up it might reaching breaking point. Seen it happen too often before in football. He's not far off now, I don't see a way back for him.

When the media AND the fans turn its generally sliding downwards. I still think Top will wait until the summer unless things go very bad from now on

I’m surprised Puel came out in public with the reality check stuff. I’m not at all surprised how many people on here lapped it up.

When a manager is ‘telling’ fans, effectively to shut up and be patient, that will only ever work if we then see signs of improvement. If we don’t they will turn on him more.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Guest said:

Irrespective of his performance as manager I think he's absolutely spot on with regards to the reality check. It may even be subconscious for some but the title win has massively distorted our perceptions of what our club is and what it should be achieving. It didn't suddenly transform us into a trophy-chasing top 6 team - maybe we had the chance to do that with the extra money and allure of the Champions League, but we didn't take it. We're a mid-table club in almost every way - acknowledging this isn't a failure of ambition, it's the reality.

I was thinking about this the other day - what is it exactly, if not the title win, that makes people believe we're entitled to be finishing above the likes of West Ham, Watford and Everton? Our squad isn't markedly better, our stadium and facilities aren't any grander, our financial capabilities don't really dwarf theirs. There seems to be a perception that 7th is rightfully ours and to finish lower is unacceptable - why? Do you think fans of those clubs think the same? 

I'm not saying we should accept mediocrity forever and be content with finishing 8th-12th every season for all eternity. I want to see us progress and show ambition to better ourselves, to achieve things more than just treading water, but that ambition needs to be tempered with realism. 

I would take mid table for the next 3 seasons. 2022 will be a game changer and if we are still a stable prem club then....We will be in the elite 10-12 clubs for many years to come.  Also by then the youthful core will be in their prime. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

What wall are you looking at? We're 5 games into the final 21 matches (that'd be from and including game week 18), and we've already taken 3 wins from that. Do you really think we're only going to win twice more in the next 16? 

Depends whose the manager. 

Only 2 wins might be ultra pessimistic but I would not be in the least surprised if we have a very bad end to the season. You see so often in football where teams lose faith in what the manager is trying to do and I think that is clearly what is happening here so a very poor run is probably on the cards.I will give him his due, he has us with 31 points (God knows how) which is far more than I expected him to achieve at this stage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'm sorry but that's just stupid isn't it, because you know that's not the case and you know it's a one off. Perhaps the manager in charge, who knows his budgets, who knows what's happening in terms of money being available, who knows we've got a training ground to pay for, is quite well placed to know that financially we can't compete with teams who can do net spends of £70-£90m, something he's not been given.

Correct it's stupid, but the entire table is full of examples of how net spend over the previous summer is far too simplistic on how to judge where we should be, especially given we sold a player for big money (which admittedly is tough to deal with). How about a net spend over the last three years? Not perfect but it'll be more accurate than that.

I'm personally judging them more on how good as teams they are. Everton last year spent loads of money and were rubbish. If you had in the summer said we'd finish below them, you'd have not been happy about it but would've understood why it happened for sure. Given how bad Everton ended up being, I was annoyed to end up finishing below them when in November time they were still fighting relegation.

To say we can't compete with Wolves & West Ham, when neither have been outstanding themselves, isn't really what I'd hoped he would publicly say. Talk is cheap but I just don't think he helps himself.

20 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Depends whose the manager. 

Only 2 wins might be ultra pessimistic but I would not be in the least surprised if we have a very bad end to the season. You see so often in football where teams lose faith in what the manager is trying to do and I think that is clearly what is happening here so a very poor run is probably on the cards.I will give him his due, he has us with 31 points (God knows how) which is far more than I expected him to achieve at this stage.

That'd be beyond pessimistic. Given we've got W3, L2 of the first 5 of these last 21 games Prussian was comparing, and six more games against the big six (4 against the bottom six - Fulham, Huddersfield, Burnley, Newcastle and 6 against the rest) I'd say W8 D5, L8 is fairly realistic as a target. That'd be a further 20 points and finishing on 51. 

50 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Correct it's stupid, but the entire table is full of examples of how net spend over the previous summer is far too simplistic on how to judge where we should be, especially given we sold a player for big money (which admittedly is tough to deal with). How about a net spend over the last three years? Not perfect but it'll be more accurate than that.

I'm personally judging them more on how good as teams they are. Everton last year spent loads of money and were rubbish. If you had in the summer said we'd finish below them, you'd have not been happy about it but would've understood why it happened for sure. Given how bad Everton ended up being, I was annoyed to end up finishing below them when in November time they were still fighting relegation.

To say we can't compete with Wolves & West Ham, when neither have been outstanding themselves, isn't really what I'd hoped he would publicly say. Talk is cheap but I just don't think he helps himself.

You seem to be saying position wise but I don't believe that's what he meant at all.

35 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Sky panel had a real pop regarding our selection in Cuo games...MOTD now also are at it..

Danny Higgingbottom has done a great peace regarding saturdays line up/tactics..

Saying what nearly all of us have been thinking and saying

Saturdays formation what exactly what half the whinge bags on here wanted.

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Saturdays formation what exactly what half the whinge bags on here wanted.

Home v Relegation threatened Southampton 3 DMs...? Can’t remember recall reading that too much on here tbh..

Shouldn't need 2 DMs at home against them never mind 3!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

That'd be beyond pessimistic. Given we've got W3, L2 of the first 5 of these last 21 games Prussian was comparing, and six more games against the big six (4 against the bottom six - Fulham, Huddersfield, Burnley, Newcastle and 6 against the rest) I'd say W8 D5, L8 is fairly realistic as a target. That'd be a further 20 points and finishing on 51. 

So you only have us winning 5 out of 16 games and your in the optimistic camp.

I think Fulham,Burnley,Huddersfield and Newcastle can't wait to play us as they work out where their points are coming from to stave off relegation.

I would be delighted with 51 points based on present form and Puel being here to the end of the season such is my low expectations presently.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

When the media AND the fans turn its generally sliding downwards. I still think Top will wait until the summer unless things go very bad from now on

I’m surprised Puel came out in public with the reality check stuff. I’m not at all surprised how many people on here lapped it up.

When a manager is ‘telling’ fans, effectively to shut up and be patient, that will only ever work if we then see signs of improvement. If we don’t they will turn on him more.

I agree he will be here till summer at least, unless results go rapidly downhill. I also think he will be here at the start of next season too if we end up mid table.

I have no problem with Puel coming out and telling us to be patient but I do have a problem with him making the excuse that because we can not compete financially with the top 6 that it is impossible to get there.

This was disproved only 3 seasons ago by the very club he is managing.

Personally I am just bored with the predictability and one paced playing.

I have watched every match this season and it seems easy to predict what will transpire during every. game apart from a couple of exceptions.

Im sure I am not the only one and this is tending to make our home atmosphere even more toxic.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Home v Relegation threatened Southampton 3 DMs...? Can’t remember recall reading that too much on here tbh..

Shouldn't need 2 DMs at home against them never mind 3!

Well considering I've spent about three weeks arguing against it on here with people saying "play the same team that beat Chelsea and Man City" I can assure you categorically that people, in fact a lot of people were asking for it.

• Like 3

Totally understand it against Chelsea/Man City..

Saturday though, was just plain daft.

I have harped on about last seasons woeful attempt at 7th place..

Before Saturday we were in a great position of no danger of relegation and we could take the shackles off and really push to make 7th our own.. Absolutely nothing to lose yet we serve up that embarrassment.

its clear to see Puel has plan A and that’s it... And as for 7th and potential Europe, not a hope in hell unfortunately..

This guy is draining the life out of the fans, barely a song chanted on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Rigga said:

Totally understand it against Chelsea/Man City..

Saturday though, was just plain daft.

I have harped on about last seasons woeful attempt at 7th place..

Before Saturday we were in a great position of no danger of relegation and we could take the shackles off and really push to make 7th our own.. Absolutely nothing to lose yet we serve up that embarrassment.

its clear to see Puel has plan A and that’s it... And as for 7th and potential Europe, not a hope in hell unfortunately..

This guy is draining the life out of the fans, barely a song chanted on Saturday.

Well people did I ask for it, I said it was lunacy but there you go. Puel was a fool one week for not trying it and a fool the next for trying it. As I said before, even those who don't like Puel don't even agree with each other on what he should do.

How was the atmosphere when plummeting down the table under Ranieri and being just as shit against West Brom. Again, I don't agree with laying the blame at his door entirely on that. This shit had been in motion for a year and a half before he turned up.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ian S said:

So you only have us winning 5 out of 16 games and your in the optimistic camp.

I think Fulham,Burnley,Huddersfield and Newcastle can't wait to play us as they work out where their points are coming from to stave off relegation.

I would be delighted with 51 points based on present form and Puel being here to the end of the season such is my low expectations presently.

I'm in the realistic camp... 5 wins in 16 is a win ratio of about a third. Win a third, draw a third and lose a third of your games and you'll finish around 50 points, usually enough to get top half

Edited by The Doctor

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's starting to get a lot of stick in the media which hasn't happened that much before. I think this is the beginning of the end, our board won't want to get rid of him yet but it might be forced upon them much quicker if this continues.

The stick from the media and Pundits....that's because they read the forums,to pick up the general atmosphere....

then a mole hill becomes a mountain,because some dozo of a steward (probably after being dropped a few bob!!) 

Asks some poor innocent group if they could take and hold this bit of paper so they can align the cameras....

(instigated either from a disgruntled fan,or a snidey Sun journalist)...

this reality check statement,was not just off the cuff....Board and owners most likely were part of it!!!   

fans more often and not...are not savvy, towards club management's thoughts and ideas...

Here on the various poles, from 30k terrace fans,only .ca 800-1000 take part. So no matter what side of the fence you sit,no matter how emotional,determined and really sure your opinion lies in the majority ( In or out? ).   ..

The poles, are only there to satisfy a small minority of fans,who love

nothing more to post presuming (in or out ). their opinions are the only ones..that make sense!!!  and is the general feeling!!!!

Just picking From circle of foxes-fans,leaving out my thoughts!!

From 21 of my LCFC friends or aquaintances, 6 want him out Before EOS,but only if there is an immediate Replacement,but do put it down

To the simple fact, it's not always boring but the performances and not the losses,that now after half a season have not shown improvement..

Though defence is a big improvement...But all said..no Rafa!!  1 thought on Wagner,mixed feelings on Howe!

The others 15,just basically agree...home games have been massively frustrating, but Puel should have this summer,to reasses on who stays and who should go!!! But then expect a .massive swing on individual and team performances...

Gray,Ghezzal and Nacho and then suprisingly Ndidi were put down as Must kick on...and if no show of potential upgrade into next season,

this time next year...then goodbye!!!   

From all,not one expects we should be pushing for 6th or even 7th,so long as we look like we are competing,like all fans want cup runs,but won't Judge on those results...

The PL even between a good 12th-6th,playing decent football. To a man/lass they say they want an out and out CF,and

an experienced and not another young-blood,even if it costs pennies,or even if we find somewhere a lower division player..

better still if the Opposition hate him!!!

I could of gone into detail but just a waste....The point is,from my group of 21 do I presume that is the right split or thought/opinions..

Off course not...but too many on here are determined to force their opinion instead of discuss it!!!

we seem to have gone away or even lost the art of banter on this forum,the hate campaigns towards individuals or manager has made these last 3 seasons

More morose than ever....

What seems to be forgotten,even if we are so piss poor,as some are determined to portray us( no this is not the worse PL-season).we are holding top half

After probably our worst 2 seasons ever...Financially our player-recruitment on the high pennies,failed miserably ( worse than a Stock-exchange crash),

Then the terrible tragedy and loss.  There is no measure of yard-stick,to even try to consider

what are the emotions and effects running through the whole Club and squad...Oh yes business goes on!!

But some posters should hold back on their OTT-terades on players and manager....

We are 4 seasons into our hard fought PL-era...1 great escape,1 title..1 great-backroom staff-system destroyed,at least 5 failed expensive buys .4 managers!!!! 

Plus xxx More impatient and xxxexpectant-entitled fans than ever...!!

Spurs/Manutd/L'pool. /Arsenal With a higher quality of Player,and financially way way,out of our league!!! are coincidently also into their

3-5th season so called rebuilds.Having more years of a steady background behind them, 10 high quality  players at least exchanged!!!

also Only slow progress...

We came,we saw,we conquered....but that ethos,that character,that fearless built over maybe 8yrs has gone!!!

KP have held us together,and stabilised a flagging club!!!   They like us had their dreams come true well over any expectations...

we are maybe financially stable but squad wise..Midfield-engine decimated,...Strikers No new successful input,

Defence..that We all had given up!!  Puel over one season has given us a competent back 5,even if we lose 1-3, from the squad! 

Asked me 5 seasons ago,where would you like to be... "In reality"!!!  

Yes we need to see our performances improve...We need new blood, young and experienced,but we are still clearing out,and Puel

requests!!   but doesn't do the buying...

I really don't want to go on a manager-merry-go-round...Not this season,nor the beginning of the next..

but if Performances do not show Improvement..then a manager-reallity-check by December next...

whether fair or not,no matter where in the top 12-7th we are,

after a certain length of time,for also-ran-clubs like ourselves,we need an entertaining-penchant to warm our arses on the terraces!!

but I do believe we should show a gritted patience...!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Claude Puel needs a reality check!

Puel haters need a reality check!

Puel lovers need a reality check!

Can't we all just meet in the middle:wub:

...but seriously Claude. Reality check yourself mate! 

D084BDA6-BB06-4163-BEBC-4B035D59635A.jpeg.6f87bca86791a36d77fcbdbac4906562.jpeg

Love a bit of Charlie and Lola me :blush:

• Like 1