Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

Cheltenham 2019

20 minutes ago, Dave Fishwick said:

not going, have been going for quite a few years but the crowds are too much now, and staying down there has got too expensive

not really a stand out year for jumps racing but Paisley Park put in a stunning performance at the weekend I thought

I'm fortunate enough that I get free digs when I go. But just can't afford the time off work this year.

Because I'm not going. I've not paid as much attention to it all so far this season. This weekend was the 1st time I've watched any racing to be fair.

can't justify going any more

last time I went, we went for 2 days, the Tues and the Weds. Did my bollocks on accommodation, ticket, we watched the first race on the Tuesday down by the last fence then stood in the Centaur for the rest of the day, and the entire of the second day. So if I'm gonna do that may as well just stay home and watch it with a few beers or go down the pub. And I'm not the only one that does that. You are hamstrung at the festival, there are usually about 5 things that most punters want to do in the 30-35 mins or so between races. Have a bet, have a beer, have a piss, view the horses parading, find a good spot to watch the race from. At Cheltenham you are lucky if you can fit 2 of those luxuries in between races

• Like 1

Don’t at all enjoy the jumps and spend all winter looking forward to the Lincoln at the end of March and the Craven meeting in mid-April to signal the start of the Flat again. However, I am going to Cheltenham on the Wednesday to sample it and tick it off. Think that’s the day for Altior too which I’m looking forward to cos he is one heck of an animal.

Planned to do it as a bit of corporate entertainment for some of my brokers as I’ve always wanted to go. Accommodation is a huge issue though. Simply priced out of it. As a result I’ll likely do Glorious Goodwood instead which is a bit less mad in most respects and offers some good level racing in a nice part of the world. 

Im very envious of anyone who is going to Cheltenham though. 

Did the Gold cup two years ago enjoyed it, but wouldn't do it again! its just manic takes forever to get in and out of the coarse and didn't help it was bloody freezing and raining :D

I will be watching it all though love the festival but I would say definitely better from a pub / at home!

not really a ante post better as really depends on the ground etc.

Go every year. Lucky enough to have a good friend with a contact who caters there so we get free club tickets for one of the days each year. Tuesday for us this time around. Last year we ended up going in the champagne bar and didn’t have to pay for any champers, food and were given £50 in tokens to spend at the caterers vans in case we wanted some beers instead. Same again this year I’m told. So can’t wait, last thing i’ll be able to do for a while with my first child on the way. 

Would recommend going at somepoint if you can, I know a few people that don’t enjoy horse racing but go because of the atmosphere. Gold cup day is the worst out of the lot for me, just always seems that little bit more rammed. My favourite week of the year though by a stretch. The roar is simply amazing when the first race goes. The Guineas village is great, never once in 8 years of going have I seen anyone fighting there (although I’m sure it does happen)

A great day out.

I will do the fantasy Cheltenham league again as well this year. Always fun. 

Angels Breath a massive fancy for the supreme. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bert said:

Go every year. Lucky enough to have a good friend with a contact who caters there so we get free club tickets for one of the days each year. Tuesday for us this time around. Last year we ended up going in the champagne bar and didn’t have to pay for any champers, food and were given £50 in tokens to spend at the caterers vans in case we wanted some beers instead. Same again this year I’m told. So can’t wait, last thing i’ll be able to do for a while with my first child on the way. 

Would recommend going at somepoint if you can, I know a few people that don’t enjoy horse racing but go because of the atmosphere. Gold cup day is the worst out of the lot for me, just always seems that little bit more rammed. My favourite week of the year though by a stretch. The roar is simply amazing when the first race goes. The Guineas village is great, never once in 8 years of going have I seen anyone fighting there (although I’m sure it does happen)

A great day out.

I will do the fantasy Cheltenham league again as well this year. Always fun. 

Angels Breath a massive fancy for the supreme. 

I'm going for the first time this year on the Tuesday too, excited doesn't even begin to cover it and we are 6 weeks out. 

I've followed Cheltenham for the last 3 years or so, not that I pretend to know much about horse racing. But I do love going, my first experience of horse racing was in a box on Ladies Day at Epsom with my old work, it was phenomenal. Ever since then Cheltenham has been on my list. 

My manager at work goes and he warned me off Gold Cup day, so glad to hear that echoed by you. 

Will join the fantasy league once it's up.

Any tips welcome, both about the day and the winning horses! 

2 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I'm going for the first time this year on the Tuesday too, excited doesn't even begin to cover it and we are 6 weeks out. 

I've followed Cheltenham for the last 3 years or so, not that I pretend to know much about horse racing. But I do love going, my first experience of horse racing was in a box on Ladies Day at Epsom with my old work, it was phenomenal. Ever since then Cheltenham has been on my list. 

My manager at work goes and he warned me off Gold Cup day, so glad to hear that echoed by you. 

Will join the fantasy league once it's up.

Any tips welcome, both about the day and the winning horses! 

Where are your tickets for mate? And how are you getting to the course? I was warned off GC day too but this was after we’d got tickets for it so we went anyway, and it was great to witness the race on course. But, a lot of people go there for the week and (fair enough) they want to end the week on a high, you seem to get more groups there because of the day and even the pubs in the town seem to have double the number. I much preferred grand national day at aintree to GC day. But Cheltenham is the daddy from Tuesday-Thursday. 

9 hours ago, Bert said:

Where are your tickets for mate? And how are you getting to the course? I was warned off GC day too but this was after we’d got tickets for it so we went anyway, and it was great to witness the race on course. But, a lot of people go there for the week and (fair enough) they want to end the week on a high, you seem to get more groups there because of the day and even the pubs in the town seem to have double the number. I much preferred grand national day at aintree to GC day. But Cheltenham is the daddy from Tuesday-Thursday. 

I think I've booked "Club" if that's correct? It's not the cheapest option as I was warned off of that by my manager as well. He said pay a bit more and go for a decent enclosure. 

We are travelling by train to Cheltenham Spa, there's a shuttle bus from there apparently. Have you been by train before? 

The only thing that worries me is that I think it may end up like a bit like watching the golf, it's good to be there but you see so much more on the TV! 

4 hours ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I think I've booked "Club" if that's correct? It's not the cheapest option as I was warned off of that by my manager as well. He said pay a bit more and go for a decent enclosure. 

We are travelling by train to Cheltenham Spa, there's a shuttle bus from there apparently. Have you been by train before? 

The only thing that worries me is that I think it may end up like a bit like watching the golf, it's good to be there but you see so much more on the TV! 

Club is the best of the reasonable priced areas. You can get a decent view of the whole track and in line of the winning post too, although you’ll be better off looking at the screen when they go down the back straight unless you’ve got some binoculars. Parade ring just out the back if that’s your thing.

Yeah the first time I went was the bit opposite the club enclosure the “best mate” whilst I enjoyed it, it seemed where most of the people that just fancied the piss up went let’s say a bit more rough went.  

Ive been on the train once, depending where you’re going from you’ll likely have to change at Birmingham New street and the queue for the train is normally outside as it’s busy, but it’s then a direct train to Cheltenham spa. Free shuttle bus from there takes you right on course and they’re very regular to and from the course. 

Some really good points here. I love the whole buzz of it. 

But spending any time in centaur is a horrible experience, indoor cooking in that place is not a good thing. It stinks.

As for the between races yeah it's a fair point, it is normally, piss, beer bet and get back to your mates. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

But as a day out you can't beat it for me. Would never do best mate again tho. Why go spend all day in a tent watching on the tv. Spending money on piss in a plastic glass.

Agree with most on here Gold cup day is the worst day. Very often the worst card and people seem to turn up watch 1 race and **** off. It empties after the race. Great in terms of being able to use the other bars a bit more. But in terms of a day. It's for me the worst of the week.

On 30/01/2019 at 15:54, Bayfox said:

But as a day out you can't beat it for me. Would never do best mate again tho. Why go spend all day in a tent watching on the tv. Spending money on piss in a plastic glass.

Do you find it absolutely ridiculous that you can't drink in front of the stands whether best mate or in tatts/members?

In the best mate you have the tote or shite equivalent (britbet) or a handful of oncourse books betting to about 3 or 4% a runner compared to 1% in front of the stand.

It also applies to Centaur/courtyard where the books take the p155.

53 minutes ago, adam1 said:

Do you find it absolutely ridiculous that you can't drink in front of the stands whether best mate or in tatts/members?

In the best mate you have the tote or shite equivalent (britbet) or a handful of oncourse books betting to about 3 or 4% a runner compared to 1% in front of the stand.

It also applies to Centaur/courtyard where the books take the p155.

It only takes one twat on the rails to sling a beer at a horse and jockey. 

29 minutes ago, Bert said:

It only takes one twat on the rails to sling a beer at a horse and jockey. 

Every other racecourse has drinking. Cannot recall someone lobbing a pint - I go about 40 days a year.

Aintree grand national is a prime example. They race past you a matter of feet away.

1 hour ago, adam1 said:

Every other racecourse has drinking. Cannot recall someone lobbing a pint - I go about 40 days a year.

Aintree grand national is a prime example. They race past you a matter of feet away.

I know. I’ve been. Was just throwing an option out there. 

Anyway, you think the festival goes ahead? 

On 08/02/2019 at 23:54, Bert said:

I know. I’ve been. Was just throwing an option out there. 

Anyway, you think the festival goes ahead? 

I am a betting man and I bet it will... ?

More to the point who will win the Nash trial at Haydock on saturday? Sod cheltenham. ?