Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting info here about treason, high treason and petty treason (had never even heard of petty treason, so I've learned something today). Last person tried here for treason was WW2 traitor Lord Haw Haw, apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_in_the_United_Kingdom

There should certainly be investigations into what she and other returnees got up to out there, and into whether any of it constitutes criminality and whether there's evidence to support charges.

Any such crimes are more likely to have impacted Syrian citizens than Brits (unless she's been involved in planning UK terrorism - unlikely) so there's a logic to handing her over to the Syrian legal authorities. But does the UK recognise the Assad regime or its legal system as legitimate? If not, we'd presumably want to investigate under the law of England & Wales?

Let's be honest, there is close to zero chance we'll be able to find evidence of her doing anything wrong even if she has.

The only logical and correct solution to me seems to be handing her over to the Syrian law enforcement, she decided to get involved in a civil war across the other side of the World and that's one of the consequences of doing that and ending up on the losing side.

56 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://danedandconfused.weebly.com/comics/a-daned-and-confused-brexit

A perspective on Brexit from a Dane who's been in the UK for a while.

Meh, this kind of stuff makes me feel pretty Brexity

I live in the Czech Republic and its not uncommon for foreigners to be openly given s***.  However because they havent had a referendum I dont get to write a cute little cartoon about it, I just have to get over it (not the hardest thing in the world)

Pretty sure its the same all over, its just the our genius politicians had a referendum

I find the notion that we were a great open spirited country until now a bit fanciful. 

It is bad if foreigners in England no longer feel like they belong.  One would hope that their circles of friends remains the same;  I sure as s*** dont feel like I belong in the Czech Republic, but as long as my work is here then here i'll be.  Many Czechs are welcoming and nice and I try to focus on them and not the others

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do we think about the ISIS girl who wants to come back home?

As far as I can see, she remains a British citizen, and hence has the right to enter the UK.  She should then be arrested and tried for any relevant crimes, taking into account that she was a child when she left.

Make an example of her.

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I live in the Czech Republic and its not uncommon for foreigners to be openly given s***.  However because they havent had a referendum I dont get to write a cute little cartoon about it, I just have to get over it (not the hardest thing in the world)

Pretty sure its the same all over, its just the our genius politicians had a referendum

I find the notion that we were a great open spirited country until now a bit fanciful. 

It is bad if foreigners in England no longer feel like they belong.  One would hope that their circle of friends remains the same;  I sure as s*** dont feel like I belong in the Czech Republic, but as long as my work is here then here i'll be.  Many Czechs are welcoming and nice and I try to focus on them and not the others

I see what you mean, though I might posit there's a difference between being given shite for being a foreigner by some randos (which as working abroad myself I'm pretty familiar with) and a clear and far-reaching political decision by a large amount of the populace that (perhaps) implies you aren't really welcome. I'd hope their circle of friends would remain the same, though I'm not sure about that either.

Fair point on the bolded part.

7 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

It is bad if foreigners in England no longer feel like they belong.  One would hope that their circle of friends remains the same;  I sure as s*** dont feel like I belong in the Czech Republic, but as long as my work is here then here i'll be.  Many Czechs are welcoming and nice and I try to focus on them and not the others

Is there anywhere in the world you can go as foreigner and be welcomed by all?

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I see what you mean, though I might posit there's a difference between being given shite for being a foreigner by some randos (which as working abroad myself I'm pretty familiar with) and a clear and far-reaching political decision by a large amount of the populace that (perhaps) implies you aren't really welcome. I'd hope their circle of friends would remain the same, though I'm not sure about that either.

Fair point on the bolded part.

Thats true.  After posting I tried to think how different would I feel in their place if the country I had lived in for years voted out of the EU.  It all just gets dragged back in to the usual swirl of argument:  why people voted, what does it mean etc...

Is it all immigration?  Is that just a part of it?  Is it ony some immigrants etc...

Ever the difficult one on this topic

At least they can see its ripped the country in 2 and about as many people are decrying the decision as are supportive of it.  Its clear Britain has many people of different opinions and only half voted Brexit and surely much less than that half actually did vote for racist/prejudiced reasons (one would hope)

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

https://waypoint.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/yw83kg/activision-blizzard-reports-record-revenue-as-they-****-over-800-employees

Pinnacle of headline writing.

Serious though, the CEO claims that while they recorded a record financial year, it wasn't good enough growth compared to expectations. Now, surely that then counts as a failure, even more so if it means laying 800 people off, so why is the CEO taking a 2.8m bonus? You don't pay bonuses for failing to hit targets

58 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

https://waypoint.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/yw83kg/activision-blizzard-reports-record-revenue-as-they-****-over-800-employees

Serious though, the CEO claims that while they recorded a record financial year, it wasn't good enough growth compared to expectations. Now, surely that then counts as a failure, even more so if it means laying 800 people off, so why is the CEO taking a 2.8m bonus? You don't pay bonuses for failing to hit targets

Profit at the expense of the human race.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Deplorable perhaps, but also necessary - being able to revoke citizenship without a receiving nation is a slippery slope that could easily be abused.

In what way do you think this could be abused?

This is something that we need to work out a solution to, we can't have a situation where people just wander across the planet to a lawless warzone to prop up murderous caliphates and then return home when they feel like it because we can't do a thing about it. I can't even imagine how the familes of those who have been murdered by groups like ISIS must feel when they see people like this just wanting to come here and "live in peace" now it's gone wrong.

What really worries me is she clearly still believes in the project from her comments, she's just lost hope in the in being successful.

“I’m not the same silly little 15-year-old schoolgirl who ran away from Bethnal Green four years ago,” she told me. “And I don’t regret coming here.”
“But when I saw my first severed head in a bin it didn’t faze me at all. It was from a captured fighter seized on the battlefield, an enemy of Islam. I thought only of what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance.”

Describing the videos she had seen of the beheaded western hostages. “Journalists can be spies too, entering Syria illegally,” she said, mouthing Isis propaganda in the manner of an indoctrinated devotee. “They are a security threat for the caliphate.”

We might be forced to do so by law, but we should be doing everything we can to avoid people like returning to live in our society. Nothing good can come from it, very bad things can though.

Edited by MattP

This ISIS fascist women harping on about wanting to back to the UK for her babies sake I read as I want to screw as many benefits out of the UK as I can. I’d be a lot more sympathetic if she was apologetic and remorseful but no so I’m quite happy for her to stay over in Syria. She knew what she was doing so she made her bed, being 15 isn’t an excuse, there’s talk of giving 16 year olds the vote so we have to accept you can make a choice at that age. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

We might be forced to do so by law, but we should be doing everything we can to avoid people like returning to live in our society. Nothing good can come from it, very bad things can though.

I realise this is an over-simplification but why should Syria have to look after our extremists? 

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

I realise this is an over-simplification but why should Syria have to look after our extremists? 

Because they went to Syria to join a caliphate to fight against the government of that country.

If a group over here set up, declared itself a state and attracted foreigners who started tossing our citizens off of buildings because they were gay and beheading people would you want them returning home or should we deal with them?

Far as I would be concerned they should face the law of that land, if they then feel after that process they should deport them here then we deal with it then.

Edited by MattP

10 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You can, but at the same time we've got to accept that terror cults prey on insecure children, promising them the world and easy answers for their teenage angst. We see it with Incels, selling insecure teenage boys who are worried about their lack of relationships a load of garbage about how it's because women are running a secret conspiracy to mandate them out of existence by not having relationships (rather than those kids being socially inept people who've not showered in a month), and we end up with shootings and van attacks. We see it with the alt-right lot on sites like 4chan, using children who want to belong & have friends and utilising meme and shitposting culture to indoctrinate them with white supremacist propaganda. And we see it with ISIS, who in cases like this girl prey on insecure children scared of the world, promising them a big house, a husband and a community. These children are going to make mistakes, they're going to be suckered in by silver tongued maniacs, and if we're going to beat them we need to help people who want to deprogram themselves, because future children getting suckered in will listen more to survivors who escaped than you or me.

This story was making me feel all right wing, but in fairness, you've got a point there

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

If companies can operate successfully with fewer employees they should do so.  It’s not a difficult concept.