Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47169549

Hopefully this puts this absolute nonsense to bed. No shit, getting free money every month makes you happier, I could have told you that for free.

This guy smashes the nail on the head, maybe engineers think alike. :D

Ulrich Spiesshofer, chief executive of ABB engineering company, echoed this sentiment in 2016 when he told the Financial Times that "economic rewards [for people] should be based on actually creating economic value".

19 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47169549

Hopefully this puts this absolute nonsense to bed. No shit, getting free money every month makes you happier, I could have told you that for free.

This guy smashes the nail on the head, maybe engineers think alike. :D

Ulrich Spiesshofer, chief executive of ABB engineering company, echoed this sentiment in 2016 when he told the Financial Times that "economic rewards [for people] should be based on actually creating economic value".

We live in an age where more and more resources are going to an ever smaller percentage of the population, and automation is replacing people’s jobs.

The risk is of a dystopian future more like feudal times, where the Barons (read billionaires) and their lackeys take the lions share while the peasantry (read everyone else) live lives of grinding poverty, exacerbated by environmental issues, scarcer resources and overpopulation.

Something has to change and I have no idea what. Good on them for trying something different.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

We live in an age where more and more resources are going to an ever smaller percentage of the population, and automation is replacing people’s jobs.

The risk is of a dystopian future more like feudal times, where the Barons (read billionaires) and their lackeys take the lions share while the peasantry (read everyone else) live lives of grinding poverty, exacerbated by environmental issues, scarcer resources and overpopulation.

Something has to change and I have no idea what. Good on them for trying something different.

A bit of anarchy,sprinkle of revolution,with a nice cup of tea....and a biscuit to dunk!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Doing something new is great. Doing something blatantly stupid is not. 

It was a stupid idea to begin with, it was a stupid idea while it was in testing, with media outlets trying to sell it as a success by rambling about the couple of people out of the thousands in the trial who had actually used the money to improve themselves and unsurprisingly, now that the trial has ended and the figures settled, it has turned out to be a stupid idea. 

Giving people free money will work for the people who want to progress, but the sad truth is there are far too many people that would be happy sat at home in front of a TV for it to be viable. For every person that will use the money to start up their own small business they'll be hundreds happily using it to buy the latest PlayStation game. 

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Looks like Tommy Robinson is going to try and bring down auntie. Someone should after that affair with the weirdo with long hair smoking a cigar.

Regardless of what anyone may think of the BBC, I'm not sure that someone should be him...

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Looks like Tommy Robinson is going to try and bring down auntie. Someone should after that affair with the weirdo with long hair smoking a cigar.

Will be interesting to see what he has on them, I really hope the BBC haven't set up a hatchet job.

Trust in it is already pretty low, this combined with that idiot judge who jailed him are playing right into his hands.

Edited by MattP

41 minutes ago, MattP said:

Will be interesting to see what he has on them, I really hope the BBC haven't set up a hatchet job.

Trust in it is already pretty low, this combined with that idiot judge who jailed him are playing right into his hands.

This could have all sorts of repercussions if there is any credibility to it. As if you need to fake anything to discredit Tommy Robinson. If they have, they deserve what is coming.

53 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Regardless of what anyone may think of the BBC, I'm not sure that someone should be him...

Nor am i, i don't know the bloke and probably like most people, the information i have about him has been derived from the media, what i am thinking, though, is why would a giant like the bbc deem it necessary  to discredit an already discredited character and, if it does backfire in their face, what else is just media hyperbole surrounding him. For a national institution there does seem to be an awful lot of  things about the bbc that seem a bit dodgy. 

• Like 1

Well if climate change or the total breakdown of civil society doesn't do for us, hopefully the anti-vaxxers will wipe humanity from the face of the Earth.  I'm beginning to think we deserve it:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/12/facebook-anti-vaxxer-vaccination-groups-pressure-misinformation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well if climate change or the total breakdown of civil society doesn't do for us, hopefully the anti-vaxxers will wipe humanity from the face of the Earth.  I'm beginning to think we deserve it:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/12/facebook-anti-vaxxer-vaccination-groups-pressure-misinformation

You are in a happy place today!  I like to think human ingenuity will overcome, like it has done for thousands of years.  the Anti-vaxxers will soon shut up when their kids die.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MattP said:

This is fair comment in that downward growth trends in the wider economy outside N. America are part of the explanation for deteriorating data in the UK.

I've also read before how UK figures tend to follow cycles influenced both by trends in Europe and trends in the US (US economy being more influential over UK than over Europe, for better or worse).

A lot of forecasters expect a decline in the US performance over the next couple of years, though - ominous, if it happens. Wait and see, I suppose.

Other data about the UK economy is less encouraging, though, and suggests that Brexit is diverting a lot of investment from UK to EU - likely to have a negative impact over the medium/long-term.

Some of the very recent growth data looks bad, too, though we should always be cautious about paying too much attention to 1 quarter, never mind 1 month: https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-is-clearly-taking-its-toll-on-uk-economic-growth-11634396

Meanwhile, here's Peston giving a very logical, credible explanation of why No Deal is now looking quite likely: https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/02/why-i-think-a-no-deal-brexit-is-now-the-most-likely-outcome/

I've always been hopeful that it would be avoided as our MPs/Govt/Opposition wouldn't want to get the blame for the potential disaster now and in history. But Peston's arguments are pretty convincing.

Unless the EU capitulates on the backstop (unlikely), for there to be a negotiated Brexit deal, one or other of the main parties now has to take major damage - damage likely to split that party and potentially keep it out of power for a generation, at least.

A lot of ERG MPs/Tory members/voters will never accept May giving much ground to Labour on Brexit - but a lot of Labour MPs and most Labour members/voters will not tolerate Corbyn giving much ground to May....

So, in a few weeks, we might find out a few truths: Was all the talk of Channel port snarl-ups, food/medicine shortages & economic damage just Project Fear? Is there really little chance of social unrest? Has Liam Fox got all these planned global trade deals up his sleeve? Will we really be absolutely fine trading on WTO terms? I still hope that we don't find out the answers to those questions as I'd expect some very bad answers in the short-term and worse answers in the medium-term. A Soft Brexit deal and post-deal investment surge seems appealing in this context.

29 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are in a happy place today!  I like to think human ingenuity will overcome, like it has done for thousands of years.  the Anti-vaxxers will soon shut up when their kids die.

As much as I don't want to go misanthrope here, thousands of years isn't all that long a time and while human ingenuity has got us this far and hopefully will continue to get us further in the future, it only has to fail in the face of short sighted thinking and stupidity on a large scale once.