foxfanazer Posted 24 February 2019 Posted 24 February 2019 I'm going to be 30 in may and it's got me thinking about what I want to do with my life (a bit late you might say). As a teenager/young adult I was far to engrossed in my social life that I didn't really take my education too seriously. I got some GCSE'S but I was capable of much more. I've flitted in and out of different jobs but never quite found anything I've been passionate about. I'm now in a rubbish retail job that I don't want to be stuck in forever. Despite it being a rubbish job it does allow me a bit of free time which has led me to think about possibly retaking some GCSE'S. Has anybody had any experience of being a mature student? Does this seem a bit futile or is it something you'd encourage me to do? Any tips or advice would be appreciated Edit: The embarrassing thing is I don't even know what grades I got the first time around
fuchsntf Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 26 minutes ago, foxfanazer said: I'm going to be 30 in may and it's got me thinking about what I want to do with my life (a bit late you might say). As a teenager/young adult I was far to engrossed in my social life that I didn't really take my education too seriously. I got some GCSE'S but I was capable of much more. I've flitted in and out of different jobs but never quite found anything I've been passionate about. I'm now in a rubbish retail job that I don't want to be stuck in forever. Despite it being a rubbish job it does allow me a bit of free time which has led me to think about possibly retaking some GCSE'S. Has anybody had any experience of being a mature student? Does this seem a bit futile or is it something you'd encourage me to do? Any tips or advice would be appreciated Edit: The embarrassing thing is I don't even know what grades I got the first time around Why not first..see if you can get the jobs/work you really want to do,apply for the job,and see (2-3 applications) if they encourage further-education within their relevant work-careers remit!!
Innovindil Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 At 30 you've got more of your working life ahead of you than behind you, so it's definitely not too late, however, instead of retaking GCSE's and going that route, I'd recommend an apprenticeship. Better to learn a skill while still making money imo. And I think it would be a better environment for someone a bit older. I've had a friend try getting back into education surrounded by younger people and it pretty much drove him mad tbh.
foxfanazer Posted 25 February 2019 Author Posted 25 February 2019 2 minutes ago, Innovindil said: At 30 you've got more of your working life ahead of you than behind you, so it's definitely not too late, however, instead of retaking GCSE's and going that route, I'd recommend an apprenticeship. Better to learn a skill while still making money imo. And I think it would be a better environment for someone a bit older. I've had a friend try getting back into education surrounded by younger people and it pretty much drove him mad tbh. Thanks for the advice. The problem with an apprenticeship is the drop in money which I can't afford. Got too many bills and a young child to look after. Need something that fits around my current job preferably. Yeah I work with a bunch of 18 year olds and even though I'm only 29 I feel ancient
The Quick Brown Fox Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 Have you looked into Open University? All sorts of courses that you can do in your own time.
z-layrex Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 Well what do you really want to do? Maybe speak to a careers councillor? Then you can plan a route. GCSE's etc might not be the way to go.
stripeyfox Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 Open University might be better. As you get older (in my experience) the exams you got when you were 16 become less and less relavent. Your experience is more important and I'd suggest doing an OU course in your own time would be more valuable to a potential employer. Plus on some of the courses you get to go on an "residential" beano for a few days where lots of drinking and middle aged people getting off with each other ensues (*not based on a real life example)
SystonFox Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 If I was looking at hiring someone aged 30 whatever grade they got at GCSE would barely come into it. what do you REALLY want to do? What would make you tick to get out of bed and do a job you enjoy?
Izzy Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 18 hours ago, foxfanazer said: I'm going to be 30 in may and it's got me thinking about what I want to do with my life (a bit late you might say). As a teenager/young adult I was far to engrossed in my social life that I didn't really take my education too seriously. I got some GCSE'S but I was capable of much more. I've flitted in and out of different jobs but never quite found anything I've been passionate about. I'm now in a rubbish retail job that I don't want to be stuck in forever. Despite it being a rubbish job it does allow me a bit of free time which has led me to think about possibly retaking some GCSE'S. Has anybody had any experience of being a mature student? Does this seem a bit futile or is it something you'd encourage me to do? Any tips or advice would be appreciated Edit: The embarrassing thing is I don't even know what grades I got the first time around I'd advise you to spend what free time you do have, finding out what you're passionate about instead mate. If retaking your GCSE's has a specific purpose (i.e. they're required for getting a better job) then fine, but if not I wouldn't bother. I only got 3 x 'C' grade GCSE's but I'm not sure prospective employers really give a shit about that, they just want people who are bright, intelligent, have experience and can do the job. My wife is a serial mature student and currently doing her 3rd degree at nearly 50. Even with another degree under her belt there's no guarantee she'll get a better job. I think she's doing it just because she likes learning. There's loads of course you can do remotely, on-line, evenings, weekends, on pretty much any subject you want. If you find out what you're really passionate about, I'd look into courses specifically around that. If you can end up following your passion (and getting paid to do it) then it doesn't feel like work at all. P.S. If your employer is half decent then maybe see what training they offer and get yourself on as many courses as you can (you might even find something you're good/passionate about as part of the process). Education isn't just about school grades and I've 'learnt' so much more from stuff I did after school than from school itself.
SecretPro Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 If I was you I'd look at going OU. I'm doing exactly that, alongside full-time work with same issues as you. If you can achieve a degree in something you really want to do, nobody is going to be all that interested in what GCSE you have/have not. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of it and whether you want a career change etc.
murphy Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 19 hours ago, foxfanazer said: I'm going to be 30 in may and it's got me thinking about what I want to do with my life (a bit late you might say). As a teenager/young adult I was far to engrossed in my social life that I didn't really take my education too seriously. I got some GCSE'S but I was capable of much more. I've flitted in and out of different jobs but never quite found anything I've been passionate about. I'm now in a rubbish retail job that I don't want to be stuck in forever. Despite it being a rubbish job it does allow me a bit of free time which has led me to think about possibly retaking some GCSE'S. Has anybody had any experience of being a mature student? Does this seem a bit futile or is it something you'd encourage me to do? Any tips or advice would be appreciated Edit: The embarrassing thing is I don't even know what grades I got the first time around I don't think that a few GCSEs will make much difference to your job prospects, I think it would be better to have a career goal and perhaps find a vocational course that is relevant to that. There is also the option of starting a business for yourself but the main thing imo is to find something that you actually want to do. Anyway, good luck with it.
Wymsey Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 20 hours ago, Innovindil said: At 30 you've got more of your working life ahead of you than behind you, so it's definitely not too late, however, instead of retaking GCSE's and going that route, I'd recommend an apprenticeship. Better to learn a skill while still making money imo. And I think it would be a better environment for someone a bit older. I've had a friend try getting back into education surrounded by younger people and it pretty much drove him mad tbh. Most apprenticeship advertisements, both locally and nationally, seem to have more of an emphasis towards 16-21 year-olds with regards to this type of qualification. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but feels quite rare in 30+ year-olds doing Apprenticeships nowadays? As mentioned, a careers advisor would be the best way to go.
foxfanazer Posted 25 February 2019 Author Posted 25 February 2019 2 hours ago, SecretPro said: If I was you I'd look at going OU. I'm doing exactly that, alongside full-time work with same issues as you. If you can achieve a degree in something you really want to do, nobody is going to be all that interested in what GCSE you have/have not. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of it and whether you want a career change etc. Thanks for that. Don't you need decent GCSE's to get onto that?
foxfanazer Posted 25 February 2019 Author Posted 25 February 2019 2 hours ago, Izzy said: I'd advise you to spend what free time you do have, finding out what you're passionate about instead mate. If retaking your GCSE's has a specific purpose (i.e. they're required for getting a better job) then fine, but if not I wouldn't bother. I only got 3 x 'C' grade GCSE's but I'm not sure prospective employers really give a shit about that, they just want people who are bright, intelligent, have experience and can do the job. My wife is a serial mature student and currently doing her 3rd degree at nearly 50. Even with another degree under her belt there's no guarantee she'll get a better job. I think she's doing it just because she likes learning. There's loads of course you can do remotely, on-line, evenings, weekends, on pretty much any subject you want. If you find out what you're really passionate about, I'd look into courses specifically around that. If you can end up following your passion (and getting paid to do it) then it doesn't feel like work at all. P.S. If your employer is half decent then maybe see what training they offer and get yourself on as many courses as you can (you might even find something you're good/passionate about as part of the process). Education isn't just about school grades and I've 'learnt' so much more from stuff I did after school than from school itself. The annoying thing is without sounding like I'm blowing me own trumpet I'm actually quite bright. I just made the wrong decisions when I was younger and have left it late to start correcting them. Thanks for your advice though, it makes a lot of sense
SecretPro Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 26 minutes ago, foxfanazer said: Thanks for that. Don't you need decent GCSE's to get onto that? The Joy of Open University is that there are no entry requirements! (Except for post graduate courses)
RoboFox Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 Funnily enough, I'm just taking a break from rewriting my CV as I'm applying for an internal position. There are no mention of my GCSEs on it. I've only ever been directly asked about my pre-employment experience (in this case, it was my degree... Not helpful, but bear with...) once in a job interview. What I'm getting at is that in my experience, employers are much more interested in your professional and life experiences. As others have said, I'd focus your spare time on either an OU course, or even look into an Access To Higher Education Diploma if you wanted to go down the traditional mature student route and lack the necessary A-Levels. Then potentially, you can complete the course of your choice, get back on the ladder, retrain and refocus your career. And don't worry, I literally have absolutely no f**king idea what GCSEs I did, let alone the grades. Edit: Also, @foxfanazer, read What Colour Is Your Parachute. It comes highly recommended if you’re looking for a career change.
Guest the fox Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 Not got much advice here but to say, There is no such thing as too late. Go for it, mate. Do what you think is right for you.
Innovindil Posted 25 February 2019 Posted 25 February 2019 3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said: Most apprenticeship advertisements, both locally and nationally, seem to have more of an emphasis towards 16-21 year-olds with regards to this type of qualification. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but feels quite rare in 30+ year-olds doing Apprenticeships nowadays? As mentioned, a careers advisor would be the best way to go. Don't know what it's like these days, but when I did mine 10~ years ago there was plenty of older folk. I wouldn't doubt that the main targets would be fresh out of schoolers, but that doesn't mean a 30 year old wouldn't find a spot.
Fosse93 Posted 26 February 2019 Posted 26 February 2019 I have 5 A grades and 4 B grades at GCSE. That's what my cv says anyway, I actually got 3 C grades
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.