Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Weather

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Obviously wasn't due to the weather much, but can remember some Partizan Belgrade player chipping Tim Flowers when he couldn't see the ball coming his way in strong flare smoke at Filbert Street..

Yeah, that was Red Star when a flare was set off just prior to KO. I assumed the ref would wait for it to settle before blowing his whistle as we couldn't see clearly from the Spion Kop and neither could Flowers. But no, the ref blew, the kicked off and had a long range shot and scored.

Not very sporting from Red Star that night but they did have some bloody good players; finished 1-1. Lost the 2nd leg 3-1 in Vienna (Belgrade classed as a war zone). Both clubs were fined due to trouble at that game.

• Thanks 1

It way awful weather. We ended up going through Bury on the way back.

Not really "cold" as such though. I remember being at Hull mid 00's and that was the most cold I've still ever been at a game I think.

Edited by Fox92

12 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Also Brighton away,must have been 87/88 ish....got all the way down there and called off for waterloged pitch.

I went too ! Made phone calls, were told the game would go ahead, we drove all the way there for it to be called off ! Found a boozer and watched France v England rugby match instead 

9 hours ago, STEVIE B said:

I went too ! Made phone calls, were told the game would go ahead, we drove all the way there for it to be called off ! Found a boozer and watched France v England rugby match instead 

as i remember it was brilliant sunshine when we got there aswell!Pretty simlar to Cardiff away  a few years ago... ok it was cold and a bit snowy,but nothing that would usually cause a game to be postponed.....except the Cardiff groundsman "forgot" to put the boiler on(think it was their first season in the new ground) when they had a few injuries and we were well past Brum when it was called off.

Edited by PAULCFC

46 minutes ago, Sunny Rhyl Fox said:

Blackpool away midweek fa cup in the late 90s a temporary stand that had no roof wind and sleet getting blown over us from the North Sea a horrible night(but we won 1-0 Joey Gudjohnsen wind assisted bullet from 30yards)

Forgot about that one....was there as well!

23 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

4 games come to mind, home to Blackburn in 96? Very Thick fog, couldn’t see pass the 18 yard box while sat in the double decker, away to Ipswich in the snow, at home to boro, twice 1 for snow and 1 was where the advertising boards flew on to the pitch just before kick off because of high winds and rain and then Liam Moore had to go off inside 5 mins of it starting after sliding into the post 

That's the one that sprang to my mind. I was also sat in the double decker, behind a pillar, no less. Not that that made any difference. Can't remember fog like it before or since. Pretty sure it finished 1-1, and I think both goals were up the other end in the pea soup.

Wasn't there a game against Everton where a fan was killed by some debris in a gale?

1 minute ago, LinekersApples said:

I’m not one to exaggerate, but I’m still not dry from the Meadow Lane match.

Yes...that was the most wet i have ever been.The football special train on the way home was more like a sauna from everyone drying things on the heators!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

I remember our 1st ever premier league away win,1-0 at Man City mark robins scoring,

there was puddles on the pitch and the ball stop at a puddle when it would have gone out ,Jamie Lawrence crosses for robins to head home at the near post,

i didn’t go but remember listening on the radio 

Me and my son went to that one -  has to be the worst weather ever. It was snowing heavily driving over the Penines - I remember people died on the M62 that night because of the atrocious conditions - but when we got down into Manchester, it was just unrelenting rain. We stood on an open terrace and it rained so heavily that even my underwear was wet through at the end! Not a pleasant drive back in soaking clothes. But, afterwards, we all received free T-shirts from the club commemorating the win and Mark Robins' goal

Edited by lcfc531mellors

2 hours ago, Sunny Rhyl Fox said:

Blackpool away midweek fa cup in the late 90s a temporary stand that had no roof wind and sleet getting blown over us from the North Sea a horrible night(but we won 1-0 Joey Gudjohnsen wind assisted bullet from 30yards)

The same Joey Gudjonsson who didn’t play for us until 2004?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

That's the one that sprang to my mind. I was also sat in the double decker, behind a pillar, no less. Not that that made any difference. Can't remember fog like it before or since. Pretty sure it finished 1-1, and I think both goals were up the other end in the pea soup.

Wasn't there a game against Everton where a fan was killed by some debris in a gale?

Yes, that was in 2004, didn't go to that match but in the next home game against Liverpool there was a minutes silence to remember him. 

24 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

Must be the same parallel universe where Blackpool is on the East coast

36 minutes ago, Pst said:

The same Joey Gudjonsson who didn’t play for us until 2004?

Yep,you are both right....must have been 2005 and the rain coming in from near the irish sea!

On 16/03/2019 at 21:20, winteriscoming said:

Ipswich away. With the snow. Only because it was on sky that it went ahead. 

Worse for me was the continual delays in the second half whilst the groundstaff struggled to clear the pitch.

The game was done, should've given Ipswich the win after 75 minutes and let us out as the PA announcer told us the town centre is gridlocked and the trains had long delays and cancellations. As it was we sat for an extra 30 minutes freezing our balls off waiting for a match long since over to be completed.

No regard whatsoever for the fans that day of both teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Yeah it was definitely 1-1 and that’s my recollection as well that they was both scored the other end, I also remember watching MOTD and watching all the other games with perfect sunny weather and then our game came on with the fog 

yeah a Everton fan was hit by debris I believe he was outside on raw dykes road on the way to the game