Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Manager Remembers: Micky Adams

Nothing but respect for what he achieved here under the circumstances. Seems like a good man too.

I've got fond memories because it was when I first started going regular. Izzet's overhead kick at Grimsby (will always be the best LCFC goal I've seen live), beating Leeds 4-0 at home including Nalis' volley and winning 0-3 away at Manchester City remain stand outs for me.

I like how he got the two results wrong lol Wolves and Man City.

Edited by Fox92

I always liked Micky, to achieve what he did under difficult circumstances was remarkable. He came into the club as assistant to Bassett which was possibly the best move, he would have been so tough him for his for first job in the top flight to have been a relegation fight, it also meant he could get a good feel of the squad who needed to stay and who needed to go. The summer was big for Micky he needed to fix the toxic atmosphere amongst the dressing room and get rid of the high ego players causing all the trouble. He also managed to keep hold of Muzzy Izzett which was key, who was linked to a lot of top flight clubs. Micky was very strict and certainly needed to be like that, he managed to sort out the discipline and got the players enjoying their football again. The Division One promotion wasn't easy, we had few tough trips as I recall, however we certainly gave the champions Portsmouth that season a run for their money. We also didn't allow off the field problems affect the teams performances.

The second season was different kettle of fish, Micky mainly had a nothing budget to spend on and to look at bargains and freebies. He brought in a lot of experience and most had shown there good premier league days were long gone. Micky had brought in the likes of Les Ferdinand, John Curtis, Riccardo Scimeca, Keith Gillespie, Ben Thatcher and Marcus Bent. From what I remember, I always felt Leicester unlucky to go down, I seem to remember Leicester nicking a few good wins against Leeds and Man City, but we seem to have drawn a lot of games. A lot of late goals were conceded, goals that were conceded from games that could have kept us up.

Things really started to go wrong after christmas, we only won two games after that. Also the discipline appeared to disappear once again, quite notable the incident in Spain. Which was a huge embarrassed for the club and for Micky himself. The trip to Spain was always big question mark on Micky's part, the team weren't playing well and why was there any need to reward the team with the trip to a sunny climate. 

There was also a lot of signs for me in the final of part the season, the players and even the manager had lost hope. They all got bored and I think many didn't want to be at the club anymore and dare I say maybe even Micky himself. Following relegation once again, I do wonder if Micky was considering leaving earlier in the summer, I never got this feeling during the start of 2004-05 he wasn't fully committed to the post, he probably felt that he did all could do with the club with it's all problem. Quite a sad ending for Micky, he deserved better. Certainly was let down by the players.

Since leaving Leicester, he's seems spend his times with clubs under financial problems, I don't think he's ever been ahead of the game and been at a club with a decent budget. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

In my opinion a very underrated manager. Getting promoted was a great achievement and given how many new players were brought in I thought he molded us into a team pretty decently. The La Manga incident is surely where it all started falling apart and I wonder if without that if we would have survived? Hard to say as I think it did show the “mercenary” nature of some of the players we brought in. That 4-3 loss to Wolves after being 3-0 up also showed the weak belly we had that year. 

Still overall I think he was a good manager. Had we appointed him and Basset instead of Taylor I don’t think we’d have gone down the first time round. 

For me he's one of the best manager's we've had at the club given the job he did under the circumstances. Possibly one of the worst jobs around at the time and yet he performed miracles. To get us back in the PL when anything less would have had disastrous consequences for the future of the club was amazing. The pressure him and the squad were under during the season in the Championship was unbelievable. It really was a make or break season. Also did an admirable job the following season given the shenanigans around the club, and was pretty unlucky with the relegation. 

Did very well in getting the team promoted in trying circumstances, we were quite competitive in the Premier League but so many matches thrown away late which suggested a problem with the set-up towards the end of games. Only won 2 meaningful home games in that season and you won't stay up with that sort of record.

It was clear he'd gone in the first six games in the Championship the next season. Good man, decent job but questionable decisions and ultimately he left us where he found us as manager.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Did very well in getting the team promoted in trying circumstances, we were quite competitive in the Premier League but so many matches thrown away late which suggested a problem with the set-up towards the end of games. Only won 2 meaningful home games in that season and you won't stay up with that sort of record.

It was clear he'd gone in the first six games in the Championship the next season. Good man, decent job but questionable decisions and ultimately he left us where he found us as manager.

He didn't, I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't managed to get us promoted.

I think we owe him a great debt of gratitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First season i properly remember all the way through. 

The days of century 106. I remember all their predictions of Forest 1st, Derby play offs and Leicester mid to bottom half. How did that go lads?

Did an incredible job. Was such a daunting time for us. The 72m debt headline on Leicester Mercury etc. Its incredible what we have gone on to achieve. 

The Premier League season was probably the perfect introduction to being a Leicester fan from then on. I still cant understand how we managed to throw away some of them games. As much as i love Micky, he needs to take a bit of blame, because ultimately we should have stayed up. 

Nevertheless, a vital manager in the club's history and should always be remembered. 

13 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Is he still doing some work around the Market Harborough area?

He does a bit of scouting, often abroad. Lives in the town still. His son plays for Harborough under 18s with my lad. He's always up there watching. Very approachable, good fun generally. 

• Thanks 1