Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Player Remembers: Alan Smith

One of my favourite times as a City fan, I was just a kid but the forward line of Lynex, Lineker and A Smith is still one of my favourites, he scored a great goal against Wolves in a 5-0 demolition of them at Filbo, went on a couple of goal droughts with us and was replaced by an on loan Peter Eastoe both times.

Great memories 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

One of my favourite times as a City fan, I was just a kid but the forward line of Lynex, Lineker and A Smith is still one of my favourites, he scored a great goal against Wolves in a 5-0 demolition of them at Filbo, went on a couple of goal droughts with us and was replaced by an on loan Peter Eastoe both times.

Great memories 

Spot on they would get you 50 goals a season, remember picking up my chips and sitting on the railings outside Filbo watching the players arrive, Lineker in his fiat Uno sponsored by kilby bridge motorslol how things have changed but still a great time to be a city fan:scarf:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

Part of a group of players that have played as many as 200 games for a club and seemingly couldn’t give two shit about them.

Robbie Savage and Danny Drinkwater.

17 hours ago, smitha said:

Spot on they would get you 50 goals a season, remember picking up my chips and sitting on the railings outside Filbo watching the players arrive, Lineker in his fiat Uno sponsored by kilby bridge motorslol how things have changed but still a great time to be a city fan:scarf:

Yep. I remember the Arsenal coming to Filbert Street with good old Kenny Sansom as full back. That particular day Lynex made him look Sunday league class. 

19 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Smith is a strange one because he was a model pro and did a great job for us, but seems to harbor almost no sentiment towards us whatsoever. I get that it was at Arsenal that he made his name and won lots of trophies but I do find it a tad bizarre that he seemingly feels this way. Compared to Lineker who played for a title winning team, had imperious World Cup campaigns and even played for Barcelona but whom is still very fond of the club and city and it's very strange.

Anyway I don't dislike Alan Smith, but I do wish he gave Leicester a bit more love as a pundit!

I'm guessing he supported one of the Brummie clubs as a kid (Villa maybe?) Can't really expect him to have the same feeling for Leicester as Lineker. Different backgrounds.

I remember (although my memory is cloudy) that Smith came on for England and replaced Gary Lineker in a vital qualifying match, anybody remember who it was against? The Dutch? I think it was the late Graham Taylor made that crazy call, should of played the pair together, Lineker looked so unhappy that day....do I not like that!

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

Yep. I remember the Arsenal coming to Filbert Street with good old Kenny Sansom as full back. That particular day Lynex made him look Sunday league class. 

Did the same to Alan Kennedy in a 3-3 draw with Liverpool at Filbert Street, don't think Kennedy played much after that game. Lynex in full flight was unplayable and a decent penalty taker too, my favourite player if the early 80's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I remember (although my memory is cloudy) that Smith came on for England and replaced Gary Lineker in a vital qualifying match, anybody remember who it was against? The Dutch? I think it was the late Graham Taylor made that crazy call, should of played the pair together, Lineker looked so unhappy that day....do I not like that!

It was against Sweden in the 1992 Euros. England lost 2-1 to a late Thomas Brolin winner and were knocked out. It was Lineker's last game for England.

23 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

Part of a group of players that have played as many as 200 games for a club and seemingly couldn’t give two shit about them.

Yeah, never had the feeling he's overly keen on us. Other players who've done really well elsewhere such as Heskey and Dickov still speak really highly and enthusiastically about us.