Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Champions League 2019-20

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Standard Spurs, jammy bastards get about the easiest tie possible. 

I'd say that and the Lyon vs Juve game are the easiest to predict. Lyon will be without Depay so Juve have it easier there. 

Reckon PSG will trounce Dortmund. They can't defend and PSG attack is stupidly good.

Best tie is probably Atalanta vs Valencia or Real vs Man City. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Lyon's season is basically over. They were having a shit year anyway but Depay and Reine Adelaide just copped for ACLs last time out. 

They wouldn't beat Juve with them, without its basically a free pass for Juve. 

It's a shame Atleti are having a wonky season because normally a Simeone team would be the prime candidate to derail the Klopp express. 

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't think they'll find it as easy as you suggest.  For reasons that escape me, the lad's second team is RB Leipzig.  He follows the Bundesliga from afar, but has never seen Leipzig, so hoping the Spuds home game coincides with half term (which is possible) so that we can go and watch Timo Werner score a few.

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Playing top of the Bundesliga? OK. It's not Barcelona but it's not Valencia either. This tie is right in the balance. In fact, there are lots of good match ups.

Real are hot and cold but have the potential to match Man City. Valencia and Atalanta arguably two of the weaker sides. PSG should win but if Dortmund find form, this could be good. Bayern and Chelsea will be good (as a Bayern fan, happy with that draw, Chelsea are hit and miss). Even Napoli vs Barca could be quite interesting if Napoli get a good home result.

All in all some very tasty ties.

29 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Playing top of the Bundesliga? OK

That's not really saying much this season tbf. 

I think if you gave Spurs a choice of possible opposition then RBL would have been second after Valencia. 

I'd stick a reasonable amount on a Mourinho coached Spurs getting through that fairly comfortably to be honest. Especially given he's going to have had time to built up some momentum and work on their defence between now and then. 

Mourinho didn't become a crap manager in a short spell at a toxic United and Tottenham didn't become a mid table table team in a few months this season. 

Would obviously love to be wrong but think they've got the best chance of going through of the English teams tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That's not really saying much this season tbf. 

I think if you gave Spurs a choice of possible opposition then RBL would have been second after Valencia. 

I'd stick a reasonable amount on a Mourinho coached Spurs getting through that fairly comfortably to be honest. Especially given he's going to have had time to built up some momentum and work on their defence between now and then. 

Mourinho didn't become a crap manager in a short spell at a toxic United and Tottenham didn't become a mid table table team in a few months this season. 

Would obviously love to be wrong but think they've got the best chance of going through of the English teams tbh. 

Out of the English teams they certainly have one of the better draws and it could have been worse. Let's hope they underestimate Leipzig a bit and that Leipzig are still in good form come end of Feb.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Lyon's season is basically over. They were having a shit year anyway but Depay and Reine Adelaide just copped for ACLs last time out. 

They wouldn't beat Juve with them, without its basically a free pass for Juve. 

Probably good news for Depay after the last CL game he was scrapping with Lyon's ultras group after recently being made captain!

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Probably good news for Depay after the last CL game he was scrapping with Lyon's ultras group after recently being made captain!

Yeah that gets filed under "season is basically over." The ultras are basically trying to chase Marcelo out of the club and Depay stood up for him. 

58 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Wouldn't surprise me if all English teams went out.  Spurs obviously what looks like the best draw, but Spurs aren't great and Leipzig can play some great stuff.  They could all go out.:D

I think at least two English sides will go through. Can't see all getting eliminated. Man City and Liverpool should both go through, Spurs also have a decent chance.

Tbqh it's not hard to imagine Liverpool going back to back and defending it this year. 

Their form is mental and all of Europe is having a wobble at the moment. 

Bundesliga is a (very entertaining) mess, Barcelona and Real are going through transition, dare I say it but Atleti are looking a spent force and Simeone in need of a change, Juve are solid but unspectacular and Ronaldo is undeniably beyond his best. 

PSG look good going forward but they're PSG so they'll find some way to flake it in the knock out rounds. 

I'm usually the first to argue that the Premier league "best league in the world" thing is bollocks but it basically is currently. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Tbqh it's not hard to imagine Liverpool going back to back and defending it this year. 

Their form is mental and all of Europe is having a wobble at the moment. 

Bundesliga is a (very entertaining) mess, Barcelona and Real are going through transition, dare I say it but Atleti are looking a spent force and Simeone in need of a change, Juve are solid but unspectacular and Ronaldo is undeniably beyond his best. 

PSG look good going forward but they're PSG so they'll find some way to flake it in the knock out rounds. 

I'm usually the first to argue that the Premier league "best league in the world" thing is bollocks but it basically is currently. 

You not fancy Gattuso's Napoli :ph34r:?

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

You not fancy Gattuso's Napoli :ph34r:?

Absolutely insane appointment that is. Love it. 

Surprising amount of people on their social media think it might be exactly what they need. It's a talented squad that needs a kick up the arse is the consensus. 

Oh and obligatory:

I mean Claude Puel he isn't lol

Love the translator in that bless him. 

In all seriousness I can't see it not ending in tears. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Absolutely insane appointment that is. Love it. 

Surprising amount of people on their social media think it might be exactly what they need. It's a talented squad that needs a kick up the arse is the consensus. 

Oh and obligatory:

I mean Claude Puel he isn't lol

Love the translator in that bless him. 

In all seriousness I can't see it not ending in tears. 

I can see it being similar to Di Canio at Sunderland with them having a run and looking like a fantastic side, before it failing massively and him having a breakdown. I'd love it if they somehow beat Barcelona, just to see Gatusso go full Barry Fry.

Hard to judge him on his record at Milan as manager in fairness, as that club seems rotten to the core. May just turn out that he's a decent manager, though I would be equally amazed if it doesn't fall flat on it's face.  

That interview lol. Whenever people think Klopp/Guardiola etc are characters, I can only assume that they've never followed Italian football. 

• Like 2