Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

For the first time ever, the New Statesman won't be backing Labour, instead encouraging tactical voting.

"The essential judgement that must be made is on Mr Corbyn himself. His reluctance to apologise for the anti-Semitism in Labour & to take a stance on Brexit ... make him unfit to be prime minister"

Edited by MattP

1 minute ago, MattP said:

What was this again?

https://news.sky.com/story/arron-banks-defends-vile-greta-thunberg-tweet-it-was-a-joke-11785625

Here it is.

It would be easy to write it off as merely a throwaway joke because you know, "I was obviously joking!" but firstly what kind of person makes a crack like that without the punchline being so obvious it doesn't need to be explained as a joke (because most bad taste jokes are pretty damn obvious) and secondly given the guy likely has reason to feel antipathy towards her given his own political leanings it's not 100% convincing that he was just having a laugh anyway.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

https://news.sky.com/story/arron-banks-defends-vile-greta-thunberg-tweet-it-was-a-joke-11785625

Here it is.

It would be easy to write it off as merely a throwaway joke because you know, "I was obviously joking!" but firstly what kind of person makes a crack like that without the punchline being so obvious it doesn't need to be explained as a joke (because most bad taste jokes are pretty damn obvious) and secondly given the guy likely has reason to feel antipathy towards her given his own political leanings it's not 100% convincing that he was just having a laugh anyway.

I seriously doubt he'd want a 16 year old to die.

Not a joke I'd tell but Greta Thunberg is certainly someone we should take the piss out of, as well as admiring her energy and passion. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I seriously doubt he'd want a 16 year old to die.

Not a joke I'd tell but Greta Thunberg is certainly someone we should take the piss out of, as well as admiring her energy and passion. 

Absolutely, jokes directed at pretty much any public figure (given exceptions that would be really bad taste) are fair game, her included.

But IMO it didn't read like a joke at all because of the aforementioned lack of punchline - just read as purely mean-spirited, which might give some insight into the mans nature. I'd hope that you're right and that he wouldn't want her to die either, but I certainly wouldn't be sure about the assertion.

Anyhow, I'll leave it at that and just opine that the man is a scuzzbucket for that reason alone, if not others.

FFS Swinson is now arguing with a person dressed as a bee who has glued himself to the Lib Dem bus and she's got Andrew Neil to come tonight.

Enough of her vote could still go to Labour to cause a hung parliament.

3 hours ago, Tuna said:

This bloke is detested by pretty much everyone in his constituency, he does fvck all for the area, and is only causing trouble because they were doing an inquiry into him involving a sexual harrasment case. Wouldn't take anything from that scumbag seriously, he's politically irrelevant beyond this election. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Tories now leading the foxestalk poll, grim.

They all keep pretty quiet though. 

Like someone said in the political age thread, Tory voters like to keep it to themselves. It's not something to be ashamed of, is it?

Edited by RoboFox

20 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nope.  If anything Labour voters should be ashamed that they will vote to put the man that opened Labour up to the antisemites into number 10.  Shcoking.

Tories banging on about Anti-semitism (even though it, and worse exists in their own party) because they've literally got nothing else to talk about lol ****ing letter boxing, watermelon smiling tank-topped bum boys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, BrokenRecord said:

This bloke is detested by pretty much everyone in his constituency, he does fvck all for the area, and is only causing trouble because they were doing an inquiry into him involving a sexual harrasment case. Wouldn't take anything from that scumbag seriously, he's politically irrelevant beyond this election. 

That's not Vaz mate! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nope.  If anything Labour voters should be ashamed that they will vote to put the man that opened Labour up to the antisemites into number 10.  Shcoking.

https://www.indy100.com/article/boris-johnson-worst-quotes-racism-sexism-tory-general-election-8968411

Go on, defend him.

This doesn't even include the aforementioned homophobic remarks.

Shocking.

Edited by RoboFox

If the fact he doesn't watch the fvcking queen's speech is being used as a stick with which to beat him, he can't be doing much wrong. 

Honestly, who cares? I don't watch it, and I'll guarantee most people on here don't.

He's not a royalist, that isn't a secret.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

If the fact he doesn't watch the fvcking queen's speech is being used as a stick with which to beat him, he can't be doing much wrong. 

Honestly, who cares? I don't watch it, and I'll guarantee most people on here don't.

Exactly. We all know that, so why tell lies? Just be honest.

13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Exactly. We all know that, so why tell lies? Just be honest.

He didn't lie he was just non-commital. He has become non-commital because of Brexit and not wanting to betray either of the irreconcilable wings of the Labour party on that issue, but for some reason has let this extend to other non-issues. It's a bit frustrating to see as part of his attraction initially was he just stood by his principles.

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

https://www.indy100.com/article/boris-johnson-worst-quotes-racism-sexism-tory-general-election-8968411

Go on, defend him.

This doesn't even include the aforementioned homophobic remarks.

Shocking.

Yes a journalist using deliberately shocking langauge to make a point is just the same as the leader of the Labour party leading it down the road of anti-semitism.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Are you deliberately missing the point completely perchance?  Why would he lie?  No one cares if he watches it, it is the fact that he cannot help lying when he had no need to whatsoever.

• Like 1