Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It is a question though...given the way the votes appear to be playing out right now, how much of this comes down to Brexit, how much of it to personal dislike of Corbyn, and how much to dislike of policy?

I think Inno above has it right when they say it's a perfect storm.

34 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Whip up a bit of fear, whip a bit of anger, cause a bit of outrage against the immigrants, against the EU, against whoever can be found.

That's a little rich after all the NHS claims from Labour isn't it?

I can't stand Jess Phillips, it's brilliant seeing her smug face almost in tears.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It is a question though...given the way the votes appear to be playing out right now, how much of this comes down to Brexit, how much of it to personal dislike of Corbyn, and how much to dislike of policy?

I think Inno above has it right when they say it's a perfect storm.

Every expert and MP rom all parties has suggested that voices on the street have told them Corbyn and his fantasy ideas are deeply unpopular on the doorsteps.

The problem is the Labour Party has been taken over by the middle-class London-bubble Guardian-reading Left who speak about social Left and radical policies which don't the working class Northern and Midlands don't care about - they care about new buildings and jobs in their town, not free broadband - and who constantly talk down to those voters, tell them they're "red Tories" or racists, if they get told that, they'll just say "fine, I'll vote Tory then".

If Boris sees out his term to 2024, then Tony Blair will be the only Labour leader to win an election in 50 years.

Britain is a "small c" conservative country. Always has been and always will be. Labour will never win without moving back to the Centre ground. It doesn't matter how amazing people think their policies are on the Left, they'll always be opposition policies on the Left.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is unreal, traditional working class towns/cities are flocking to the Conservatives. They've gained Scunthorpe, Wrexham and Burnley ffs!

Turkeys voting for Christmas, seems to be modern politics!

51 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Every expert and MP rom all parties has suggested that voices on the street have told them Corbyn and his fantasy ideas are deeply unpopular on the doorsteps.

The problem is the Labour Party has been taken over by the middle-class London-bubble Guardian-reading Left who speak about social Left and radical policies which don't the working class Northern and Midlands don't care about - they care about new buildings and jobs in their town, not free broadband - and who constantly talk down to those voters, tell them they're "red Tories" or racists, if they get told that, they'll just say "fine, I'll vote Tory then".

If Boris sees out his term to 2024, then Tony Blair will be the only Labour leader to win an election in 50 years.

Britain is a "small c" conservative country. Always has been and always will be. Labour will never win without moving back to the Centre ground. It doesn't matter how amazing people think their policies are on the Left, they'll always be opposition policies on the Left.

Fair enough. You know, I reckon I underestimate how strong a sentiment self-interest is.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the status quo will hold for all time, though - the future isn't exactly predictable and "always" is a very long time. As we've discussed before, things can happen that might make people think of something beyond their own line of sight. Or not - I know you've hinted that you'd rather be dead than be part of a collective and I'm sure there are others that share that sentiment, so we'll see.

NB. As if Javid is talking about "unity" right now when the course of action that is about to occur (along with practically all others, tbh) is going to leave the UK divided pretty much in two for a long time, no matter what bones are thrown in an attempt to alleviate. That's veering pretty close to delusional, IMO.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Horrible woman. Boris's dad was equally as stupid and horrible too.

Mate, it's a parody account than urban likes to quote because apparently parodic strawmen are funny. :dunno: