Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

I honestly don't get the tactics of this 'Unite to Remain' alliance. They are starting to come across as unhinged - this isn't the only constituency where they are doing this (taking on a pro-Remain Labour MP with an enormous majority). What exactly do they think is going to happen?

IMG_20191108_090756.jpg

And this is the Lib Dems standing aside for the Greens? Wtf? Makes no sense!

Edited by ealingfox

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

There's something about Priti Patel that I just don't like or trust. 

Can't decide if it's the fact that she had no qualms with working in the PR department of a tobacco company to improve their public image after the company was used as a source of funds for a military dictatorship in Burma, or the lies she made about being on a 'private holiday' when having secret meetings with Israeli officials, the fact that she consistently voted against the Same Sex Couples bill or that she wants to reintroduce capital punishment.

There's just something that seems off. 

You mean like as an ethnic minority coming out and saying ‘Stop and Search Works’ and ignoring the inherently racist nature of it and the depth of blatant evidence to the contrary.....

Yeah that says to me she’s career and party before anything else and a whole lot more than that as well that she should hang her head in shame for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

You mean like as an ethnic minority coming out and saying ‘Stop and Search Works’ and ignoring the inherently racist nature of it and the depth of blatant evidence to the contrary.....

Yeah that says to me she’s career and party before anything else and a whole lot more than that as well that she should hang her head in shame for.

Absolutely. She was on BBC Breakfast this morning and repeated 'Points Based System' around 45 times, the worrying thing is that some people gobble that crap up and it will win votes.

She seems like such a nasty piece of work and the fact that she is being labelled by some as a 'fresh face of Conservatism' is hilarious given that she's 47, idolizes Thatcher, and has countless views that belong in the 70s.  

16 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Can't decide if it's the fact that she had no qualms with working in the PR department of a tobacco company to improve their public image after the company was used as a source of funds for a military dictatorship in Burma, or the lies she made about being on a 'private holiday' when having secret meetings with Israeli officials, the fact that she consistently voted against the Same Sex Couples bill or that she wants to reintroduce capital punishment.

It's the smirk too. The constant arrogant smirk on her face whenever an interviewer is challenging her, or listing all the awful things she stands for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

I honestly don't get the tactics of this 'Unite to Remain' alliance. They are starting to come across as unhinged - this isn't the only constituency where they are doing this (taking on a pro-Remain Labour MP with an enormous majority). What exactly do they think is going to happen?

IMG_20191108_090756.jpg

And this is the Lib Dems standing aside for the Greens? Wtf? Makes no sense!

Some of these pacts are absolutely mad. I'm loathe to use the term, but it really does seem to be purely so everyone in the #FBPE echo chamber can give themselves a pat on the back...

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Aka Ivy Patel as she’s a creeping climber 

I find her rather obnoxious

• Like 1

So day three....

Tory candidate stands down for rape comments. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/07/boris-johnson-distances-himself-from-candidates-rape-comments-nick-conrad-keep-their-knickers-on

Labour candidate stands down for calling Jewish councillor a shylock.

https://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/north_essex_news/18023675.labours-clacton-candidate-quits-race-accusation-made-antisemitic-comment/

What a great election it's going to be.

Edited by MattP

Just now, MattP said:

That South Park episode has never been more apt. It really is the choice between a douchebag and a turd sandwich. It's coming to something when you're voting based on who you think is the lesser ****.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's just shit all round isn't it lol

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Top one was yesterday wasn’t it ? 

Just now, Facecloth said:

That South Park episode has never been more apt. It really is the choice between a douchebag and a turd sandwich. It's coming to something when you're voting based on who you think is the lesser ****.

Who is actually doing the vetting?

We've all known this election has been coming for months - I just dont understand how this can happen so many times.

The only logical explanation is now is they don't care.

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Absolutely. She was on BBC Breakfast this morning and repeated 'Points Based System' around 45 times, the worrying thing is that some people gobble that crap up and it will win votes.

She seems like such a nasty piece of work and the fact that she is being labelled by some as a 'fresh face of Conservatism' is hilarious given that she's 47, idolizes Thatcher, and has countless views that belong in the 70s.  

47 is like being a teenager in Conservative years lol

She's the favourite for next Tory leader imo - extremely popular with the faithful. Her views are interesting, ones like criminal fearing the law will be extremely popular I'm sure with the wider public, others on homosexuality etc upset even voters like me. At least she's open about them, many aren't. 

It's upto the public to judge though, as always.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Who is actually doing the vetting?

We've all known this election has been coming for months - I just dont understand how this can happen so many times.

The only logical explanation is now is they don't care.

The one standing for reelection are making a mess of things themselves on a regular basis, so they probably assume we'll elect anyone, I mean we elected this lot.

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

The one standing for reelection are making a mess of things themselves on a regular basis, so they probably assume we'll elect anyone, I mean we elected this lot.

They are right unfortunately as well - we probably will. 

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sums it all up lol 

Are these people really the best we have to offer as a country?

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Christ, at this point maybe all politicians should do some due diligence and delete all social media. It's coming back to bite everyone!

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

They are right unfortunately as well - we probably will. 

Well people vote party rather than candidate, so these local candidates can be complete arseholes who they've never heard speak a word and they'll still put an X in the box. Also people treat politics like football, and nail their colours to a mast and don't switch, so these guys could do almost anything and people will accept it because they are a Tory/Labour/LibDem voter. Labour and the Tories especially could announce numerous dangerous and crazy policies and large chunks of people would still vote for their party. 

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Well people vote party rather than candidate, so these local candidates can be complete arseholes who they've never heard speak a word and they'll still put an X in the box. Also people treat politics like football, and nail their colours to a mast and don't switch, so these guys could do almost anything and people will accept it because they are a Tory/Labour/LibDem voter. Labour and the Tories especially could announce numerous dangerous and crazy policies and large chunks of people would still vote for their party. 

In local elections I can forgive these people, vetting thousands of candidates is almost impossible from a central body.

But if the Labour party can't even sort out antisemitism or the Tory party sexism in its 600 odd candidates for the national parliament we are in serious trouble.

The worst thing about these cases is the party members knew about it and still selected them.

Edited by MattP

I despair at the dire choices we have as a country in who governs.

What happened to sensible, centre-ground politics, why is everything now on the extreme? There is genuinely no party that is not on the very extreme of at least one major issue.

Give me a boring, stable centre ground government over a drastic, erratic, radical one every day.

Edited by Beechey