Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

11 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Yes the electric cars need infrastructure but until they can reduce the price of said cars they will always be niche. And the break even point on co2 emmisions over petrol engines may never be reached 

and if this is the case its worrying.

I'll be honest and say I'm perhaps not as informed as others on here on the subject. I know when I looked into an electric car, there was an appalling lack of public charge points in and around Swansea. 

I've also been told by a friend a bit more in the know that hydrogen cars are the future and will overtake electric in no time. I don't know what this is based on but I did read part of the plan for the proposed Dragon Island here in Swansea would create a major hydrogen creating hub for hydrogen cars, or something along those lines.

42 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Yes the electric cars need infrastructure but until they can reduce the price of said cars they will always be niche. And the break even point on co2 emmisions over petrol engines may never be reached 

The cars would reduce in price of only electric were being made. 

Batteries are expensive currently but, again, the produce of anything goes down the note it is made.  Look at the cost of high end computer chips and the way they rapidly reduce in cost once made at scale. 

27 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I'll be honest and say I'm perhaps not as informed as others on here on the subject. I know when I looked into an electric car, there was an appalling lack of public charge points in and around Swansea. 

I've also been told by a friend a bit more in the know that hydrogen cars are the future and will overtake electric in no time. I don't know what this is based on but I did read part of the plan for the proposed Dragon Island here in Swansea would create a major hydrogen creating hub for hydrogen cars, or something along those lines.

Hydrogen looked like the way forward initially bit electric is going great guns.

There is new battery tech they'll be ready for market in a couple of years that reduces charge time to 10 minutes. 

All it needs is investment in public charge points and regulations that require them to be built on all new developments. Commercial spaces could be required to have them also.

It's a much smaller task than putting man on the moon in the 60s.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Only like to do as much as I need, there is always good reason.

So which green policies do you agree with or not agree with and why?  because I'm really failing to see that there is a need for a political thread if those on the right are unable to engage on policy. 

1 minute ago, HappyHamza said:

So which green policies do you agree with or not agree with and why?  because I'm really failing to see that there is a need for a political thread if those on the right are unable to engage on policy. 

I’ve not read their current manifesto as this GE for me is about brexit and brexit only. As I replied to you the other day.

2 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

I have always had concerns about the viability of lithium ion based electric vehicles since an exploratory venture a few years ago trying to sell electric bicycles. The batteries only lasted 3 to 5 years and were quite expensive. I always wondered how electric car manufacturers would be able to handle this issue which would be on a much greater scale for a car. If this guy is correct, then they really haven’t. The point he makes about using the heater is also something I hadn’t considered. Presumably this could be quite a significant drain on the battery in cold climates. Equally here in Oz, air conditioning.

Also, is there sufficient lithium to entirely replace petrol driven vehicles? I don’t know the answer.

Any green technology must be assessed based on the lifecycle impact on the environment, anything else is simply fooling ourselves.

I’m sure there is an answer to a replacement for fossil fuel technologies but we have to be very careful to ensure that we have the right tech. For me, my hopes would be along the lines of assuming the development of a new cheap, clean source of energy (nuclear fusion perhaps or later generation, safe fission reactors), and considering how that energy can best be deployed for transport. Perhaps in this situation lithium ion, with 100% recyclability of the lithium content might have a part to play, or perhaps hydrogen. Again, I’m no expert.

In the short term, as they say, I got nothing, but hopefully others have.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’ve not read their current manifesto as this GE for me is about brexit and brexit only. As I replied to you the other day.

I would go off on a tangent here about single issue voting...but I can't exactly blame you for that because in my own brain energy and environmental policy supersedes Brexit, economics or any other issue simply because every single one of those issues relies on the world staying the way it is (or at least close to) from a climate perspective. So right now I'm looking at politics from that single issue too.

Caught the end of Ben Wallace on 5Live this morning where he was being quizzed on the Russia Report and, perhaps unsurprisingly, danced around the issue almost entirely. 

He kept bleating that the vast majority of media reports are wide of the mark, and was sure to say that Russian involvement in politics across Europe and beyond is reprehensible, to which the host questioned if he was comfortable with notable Tory donors being named in the report - and he responded by saying that he couldn't possibly comment on the report :facepalm:.

It was then followed by Vincent Kompany discussing yesterday's game, his book and whether he would ever work with FIFA and he said something along the lines of 'I couldn't go into office in any shape or form if it meant not giving a straight answer like that chap before me'. 

Johnson has probably promised Farage a peerage in return for not contesting. Whinging and moaning about the deal, then propping him up. He's spineless patsy who will do anything to try to stay relevant.

A far-right stitch up and we have Corbyn as opposition. 

The country is ****ed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Brexit Party not standing against Tory seats then.

Almost like Farage was speaking out his backside all along, or the Tories were lying again regarding not having talks with the Brexit company Party. 

Very surprising, It's not like Farage is known for his U-Turns...oh wait.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Very surprising, It's not like Farage is known for his U-Turns...oh wait.

could just be he's looking at the remain alliance any saying if they don't want to stand against each other in safe conservative seats then we wont split the vote and give the opportunity for the combined remain vote to pip a split leave vote in first past the post.

1 hour ago, twoleftfeet said:

could just be he's looking at the remain alliance any saying if they don't want to stand against each other in safe conservative seats then we wont split the vote and give the opportunity for the combined remain vote to pip a split leave vote in first past the post.

Well of course, but he didn't want Boris's Brexit did he?, but another U-turn from him.

• Like 1