Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RobHawk

When I grow up I want to be ......

On 11/11/2019 at 23:00, Izzy said:

I'm an executive coach and leadership trainer in the business world mate. 

Funny that you also loved creating and providing training in your previous job. I enjoy the 121 coaching I do but the best part for me is when I'm in front of a group of managers training them - this is what makes me come alive and when I really feel I'm living 'on purpose'.

If you've always liked the idea of teaching then there's so many options to explore. I believe the world needs more teachers in all fields and if you enjoy it and are good at it, maybe that's the reason you were put on the planet!

I think if you can find something that you love doing then it doesn't feel like 'work' at all. Maybe the reason you're bored now is that's your intuition telling you that you're not reaching your potential in your current job. Maybe use that feeling as a positive to spur you into looking at different options.  

The world is your oyster bud. 

You are doing something I would love to do. I think it's something I'd be good at from past feedback and training and coaching is something I've always loved. Bit getting the most out of people and helping them be better is something I've found rewarding in the past. Obviously depends who your working with I suppose.

My biggest problem right now would be my confidence has taken a hammering and I don't think I'd be classed as experienced or qualified enough in order to get people to invest. That could perhaps be a longer term goal though and something to consider. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 00:52, Jattdogg said:

I feel your pain. Turning 40 next month and while i don't hate my career I'm also not in love with it to want to do it for another 25 years or so. I've been wanting to do something else for about 3+ years now but have no idea what to do. My current job  isn't so bad (pays really well) but i just feel like I'm wasting my days on shit that i'm not overly in love with any more. Sure, I could pick up a hobby but that isn't what i'm looking at. I enjoy spending time with my family i just need something more exciting during the "9 to 5". 

I think i'm tired of the corporate bullshit, lack of true leadership and office politics. Doesn't appear to matter where i work eventually same shit different company (and no i know it isn't me lol).  I would love to work for myself but haven't a clue at what to do. Also, toss kids and responsibility in the way and major barrier! 

Kids and responsibilities are tough mate. I know I want to provide for them, but I also want to be present, be there for them and be happy too. But it's a definate balancing act and not an easy one to know if you are doing right.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 06:50, Bayfox said:

I know how you feel, I started working for the family business when I left college 20 years ago now.

We lost the business last year due to a down turn in work and a few major customers becoming bad players, affecting cash flow.

Now all I've done for 19 years is work my way from top to bottom in the sign trade. I don't feel I want to go back into it, so I've been labouring for a mate of mine, it's ok at times and the hours aren't bad, I've got you kids so being home at 3pm most days gives me time with them, however the money is shit unless we do 6 or 7 days a week.

I'd love the chance to go back to studying but with the kids its not financially an option right now and would take up a lot of time.

It's really hard to decide what to do and what makes you happy is a personal thing. For a few months after losing the business I was actually happier, as it had become such a burden trying to keep it going and keep people in jobs, I liked the initial lack of stress etc, but a year on it's like I'm lost without that day to day load.

Anyway hope you find something that you enjoy, and if you do, can you recommended me for the job stacking shelves lol for me it's not about the money anymore, but more the hours and having enough to feed the kids and carry on paying for those season tickets. Yes that's how bad the money is working for my mate, that I'm only just about managing those things. I was really grateful at the start as it was an income, but it's starting to affect our friendship at times.

Good of you to post tho. You may find it relieves some of your burden, worries etc infact it may even lead to some work:fc:

Work and personal don't mix in my experience so I'd advise you get something else asap. I'll probably never speak to my brother in law again after working with him for a few months last year. A long story I won't go into.

I only work in home bargains but it's easy, there's plenty of hours and everyone is a good laugh. I'm getting a bit of universal credit too as the Mrs is on maternity. Covering the bills etc is a huge issue though and I'm clearing all the shit out the house and selling on eBay and at car boots too. I also get a little income from some matched betting I still do which is pretty easy money. So I've still got my fingers in alot of pies to keep the roof over our head.

It's not ideal, hence why I decided I need to get some sort of plan or idea in place.

Just to say thanks for all the responses. I purposely stayed away for a few days whilst I let things rattle around in the ol noggin. 

Not surprised there's others that do or have felt the same so really good to get others opinions and thoughts. 

• Like 1

Interesting topic, something I can well relate to. I, for several years have been in a common scenario where I feel I've little option but to remain in my current job. It's the same company I worked for when I lived in London and having moved back to Leics 5 years ago they allowed me to work from home for 3-4 days a week, sometimes I only go in to the office every few weeks. My salary is at least 10k a year more than i'd earn back in Leics and with my wife only doing casual work as well as trying to build a business with her sister money is very tight with a young family. I also haven't finished my Accountancy qualifications as we had our son nearly 4 years ago and i'd had enough of it. I have since come to the decision I won't be finishing them as long term I don't want to stay in finance. The question is, what can I do instead where I can still bring in enough bunce to keep the family alive? There's also a good chance I might have to leave my current job soon anyway, which has made this all more real of late.

I did qualify as a Hypnotherapist and a few other alternative therapies like EFT but I soon realised I did that because I needed help myself and although i'm still passionate about it, the desire to do it as a job for some reason has deterred me. I think I still need some more self development to work out whether that's a long term option, I have done it on the side several years ago but I've never been great at having the bollocks to take risks and work for myself. There can't be many half accountants half therapists out there though so at least i'm fairly unique hahahahaaa

Really interesting topic. I sometimes wonder why I took the path I did. Sometimes I look enviously at peers at my career choices, feel like I should've been more adventurous. Am I doing exactly what I want? Heck no. The job I do is good because I'm good at it and the people are brilliant. Though it can be very samey and I do need a change of environment at some point soon.

Me and the wife joke that we'll jack in our jobs and work in a pub/restaurant with the same shifts, have the simple life. We'd probably get bored of each other but I think it's the not having the responsibility or pressures that's an attraction. I can see why people do it.

I flip flop from "I really want to be in a good, well paying job so I can enjoy my life to the max" to "Well we're all gonna end up in the ground, so enjoy the small things while you can" and I can't decide which one is the winner.

I dunno. Kudos to those who actually have a clear path they know they're going to achieve in life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I am really surprised no one has said train driver. Everyone I knew - including me - wanted to be a train driver when they grew-up.

Mind you, none are. :(

Big mistake too, they get paid a fortune to sit at the front of a basically automated train. 

33 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Big mistake too, they get paid a fortune to sit at the front of a basically automated train. 

Yeah I've a mate who drives one and is on £50-55k I think and they have a lovely shift pattern where they get several days off consecutively.

17 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

My generation that wanted to be drivers, were thinking more about steam I reckon, I certainly was.

God that takes me back to my childhood!

TPH hit the nail on the head.

"what's important to you in your life?"

At the moment for me it's my 11 and 6 year old kids. I want to spend as much time with them as I can whilst they are not TOO ashamed of me!!!

I'll remember the stupid things we've done together or days out,I'm NOT going to remember being at work at 6,pm collating some data for some tw@t who's not going to read it!!!

I'd say there's only a small minority of people who love what they do.

The rest of us,just think it could be ALOT worse??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1