Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoyleFox

Greatest Sporting Moment of the Decade

This year was pretty memorable alone. The Cricket WC final, for me, even better, Stoke's innings at Headingley in the Ashes, England beating the All Blacks last month and the spectacle of both Champions League semis - Liverpool v Barcelona and the Spurs v Ajax. Add to that, 0-9 away at the Saints.

However, as someone has already pointed out, as a 'moment' - from the above, that throw glancing off Ben Stoke's bat for the boundary against New Zealand or Alexander Arnold's clever corner followed by Origi's finish against Barcelona at Anfield. In terms of the decade - they both involved QPR. Aguero's goal, and Peter Odemwingie pulling up in the car park at Loftus Road in 2013. 

• Like 1

Some great moments there

The 2012 Olympics

Aguero's last minute goal to win the title

Ryder Cup Miracle of Medinah

England v NZ Cricket World Cup Final

Ben Stokes winning the test at Headingley 

I voted for us (of course) but I think the Cricket World Cup Final was absolutley gripping. I watched at a family BBQ (extended family actualy - had never met any of them before) and it gradually drew people in - even those with litle or no interest in cricket -  as it built towards the last few overs. Amazing stuff

Also, the last hour at Headlingly - now permanantly saved on my Sky Q box - was astonishing. I think had we gone on to win the Ashes, this for sure would have been "the" moment.

Especially that last couple of overs, when Leech almost ran himself out but Lyon dropped the ball, the Aussies burning their last review and then needing it when Stokes was lbw!

Edited by stripeyfox

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Some great moments there

The 2012 Olympics

Aguero's last minute goal to win the title

Ryder Cup Miracle of Medinah

England v NZ Cricket World Cup Final

Ben Stokes winning the test at Headingley 

I voted for us (of course) but I think the Cricket World Cup Final was absolutley gripping. I watched at a family BBQ (extended family actualy - had never met any of them before) and it gradually drew people in - even those with litle or no interest in cricket -  as it built towards the last few overs. Amazing stuff

Also, the last hour at Headlingly - now permanantly saved on my Sky Q box - was astonishing. I think had we gone on to win the Ashes, this for sure would have been "the" moment.

Especially that last couple of overs, when Leech almost ran himself out but Lyon dropped the ball, the Aussies burning their last review and then needing it when Stokes was lbw!

But ours was over a whole season and not a part of a match or a single event.

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Why isn’t the 12 minutes Spurs went top on the list? I desperately wanted to vote for it.

This. I don't understand why it wasn't in the list.

Also - one of the best sporting moments of the decade - 2nd May 2016 - Chelsea v Spurs, scores tied at 2-2, last minute and Chelsea have a free kick outside the box......... and roll it into the corner to waste the last few seconds, thereby ensuring Spurs fate was sealed. Grade A+ Shithousery

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dorkingfox said:

But ours was over a whole season and not a part of a match or a single event.

Nor were we the best in our field and there was any expectation for the win, as with some of the others. E.g. Olympic Super Saturday was super but Ennis and Farah were world champions in their events. It wasn't a major shock that they won. 

Ours was an achievement not a moment. 

Badly worded question, greatest sporting achievement of the decade.

• Like 1