Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Filip Benkovic

Just now, rachhere said:

I don't know. He's still young to be a starting premier league centre back and he's had injury set backs which has limited his opportunities to get experience this year. Bearing in mind Wes is still going in his mid-30s, he's plenty of years ahead of him. 

Gut feeling is his face doesn't fit or he's been caught in a room with both Nigel and Brendan's daughters.

Something is not quite right.

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

It seems he is the one they want - I believe they see something in his stats and potential they think they can turn around. He must have the core ingredients that they like and think they can develop him?

He was exceptional in Germany and was one of Southampton's only decent players under Mark Hughes but Ralf Hasselhoff doesn't seem to like him as much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Gut feeling is his face doesn't fit or he's been caught in a room with both Nigel and Brendan's daughters.

I don't know... people thought it was strange when Cags didn't start last season and were questioning whether he would stay, and now look at him!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Quite simply he's probably not yet up to the required level Rodgers wants from him. Ihenacho was absent for the first 10 squads of the season, but then came back into both the squad and then the first team after his performances in training and then in the team got to the required standard. And look at him go now! He's a man reborn.

Perhaps Benkovic doesn't have a long-term future here, but if that's the case it's most likely because he's not good enough. 

The loan move gives him a regular run in a team. If he stays injury clear then he's in a position to stake his claim pre-season, as Soyuncu did this time round. If he's good enough, he will play as Rodgers doesn't care about the age, he cares about the quality and attitude of the player in question. 

52 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I really will be surprised if he ever plays for Leicester.

I think he'll go out on loan and be sold in the summer.

All depends if he goes to Bristol City and gets injured again and doesn't play any games I don't see anyone being willing to pay money for him and more crucially pay him the wages Leicester pay him.  It might be a case in that scenario where he ends up being perenially loaned out.  Hopefully that isn't the case though and he kicks on at Bristol City.

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

All depends if he goes to Bristol City and gets injured again and doesn't play any games I don't see anyone being willing to pay money for him and more crucially pay him the wages Leicester pay him.  It might be a case in that scenario where he ends up being perenially loaned out.  Hopefully that isn't the case though and he kicks on at Bristol City.

For me there have been games when he could have been on the bench or been started. Look at James Justin.... He was getting rave reviews at Celtic and yeah he’s had an injury or two but I just get the feeling that somethings happened and there’s a fall out or an attitude issue. Of course I accept he’s young and still has loads of time to develop - I just think he’d have got his chance by now if BR thought he was up to it.

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

For me there have been games when he could have been on the bench or been started. Look at James Justin.... He was getting rave reviews at Celtic and yeah he’s had an injury or two but I just get the feeling that somethings happened and there’s a fall out or an attitude issue. Of course I accept he’s young and still has loads of time to develop - I just think he’d have got his chance by now if BR thought he was up to it.

I don't think it's that at all, I think your looking for something that isn't there. He missed the entirety of pre-season and then picked up another couple of injuries so I doubt he's ever been at the level required to play in the EPL as yet in terms of conditioning.  I may be wrong but I don't think Justin has had any real fitness issues of note.  The better point for comparison may be Nacho who was left to work away in the background and left out of match day squads until he was deemed ready.

I actually think this is very clever management by Rodgers and he does this quite a lot with players, done it with Boyata and a couple of others at Celtic and Iheanacho now at Leicester, he waits until they are firstly phyiscally fit enough and secondly able to do exactly what he asks of them.

He probably realises throwing these players in when they're not ready will be detrimental so would rather them spend their time working hard behind the scenes so that when the chance comes the player is ready to grasp it with both hands.  Throwing an unfit, untried, Benkovic into an EPL game when he's not ready would be very detrimental and set him back further.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I don't think it's that at all, I think your looking for something that isn't there. He missed the entirety of pre-season and then picked up another couple of injuries so I doubt he's ever been at the level required to play in the EPL as yet in terms of conditioning.  I may be wrong but I don't think Justin has had any real fitness issues of note.  The better point for comparison may be Nacho who was left to work away in the background and left out of match day squads until he was deemed ready.

I actually think this is very clever management by Rodgers and he does this quite a lot with players, done it with Boyata and a couple of others at Celtic and Iheanacho now at Leicester, he waits until they are firstly phyiscally fit enough and secondly able to do exactly what he asks of them.

He probably realises throwing these players in when they're not ready will be detrimental so would rather them spend their time working hard behind the scenes so that when the chance comes the player is ready to grasp it with both hands.  Throwing an unfit, untried, Benkovic into an EPL game when he's not ready would be very detrimental and set him back further.

Very interesting to hear about this sort of stuff.

When Bekovic was at Celtic, did you play a high line? Was he able to bring the ball out and distribute it well, and to make up the ground on a counter attack? As it stands if he's not fully physically ready, I could see that being a reason for not using Benko.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Very interesting to hear about this sort of stuff.

When Bekovic was at Celtic, did you play a high line? Was he able to bring the ball out and distribute it well, and to make up the ground on a counter attack? As it stands if he's not fully physically ready, I could see that being a reason for not using Benko.

Yeah we did play a high line, exactly how Rodgers still plays now.  His biggest strength imo was his ability to play out from the back, he could stroll into midfield pretty effortlessly and his range of passing was very good.

I can't recall him having to burst a gut too much in terms of making up ground, he was more a good reader of the game so rarely got himself into those sort of situations but from what I can remember he certainly wasn't any slouch in terms of pace.

Whether he makes it or not at Leicester is another matter but I think, like you allude to, Rodgers is protecting him just now in terms of building up his fitness so that when he does get the chance he can do himself justice and more importantly not get injured again by throwing him in too early.

• Thanks 1

Guest An Sionnach

So we get somebody in on loan who doesn't have any understanding with our other CBs and is obviously surplus to requirements at his present club. First match he plays he cocks up and you all slaughter him. Benko works with Jonny , Caglar and Wes all the time and under Toure who must be one of the best defensive coaches around . I have no worries about him at all and his height is something that I think we lack at times . He is not a raw kid and is already an international in a team who have some very good players.

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

He punched Brendan and now he’s being sent to Bristol as a result. It’s the only explanation.

I'm just relocating to Bristol and they seem more rugby fans than footy so maybe they think he needs toughening up and will pack him off with his toothbrush and gumshield.

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

So we get somebody in on loan who doesn't have any understanding with our other CBs and is obviously surplus to requirements at his present club. First match he plays he cocks up and you all slaughter him. Benko works with Jonny , Caglar and Wes all the time and under Toure who must be one of the best defensive coaches around . I have no worries about him at all and his height is something that I think we lack at times . He is not a raw kid and is already an international in a team who have some very good players.

He is young and raw, he needs first team football to develop. He will not get that here at the moment, going on loan to a championship team is perfect for him at this point of his career.

• Like 1

For me, this is about planning for the future, yes Benkovic could stay here and play a bit part odd minutes here or there, instead we send him out on loan so he get games under his belt ready for next year.

This is more about developing Benkovic for the future rather than the next 14 games, there a good chance that Soyuncu and Evans will play every game before now and the end of the season. 

If we get an experienced loan CB, he can sit on the bench and it doesn't matter whether he plays, he's just there encase of emergency.  

1 minute ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

He is young and raw, he needs first team football to develop. He will not get that here at the moment, going on loan to a championship team is perfect for him at this point of his career.

I disagree that he is raw. He has had plenty of regular big game I.e. champions league and top flight football. I've watched him in the games that hes played U23's and he stands out for his quality on the ball and match fitness. I think that there is more to this behind the scenes whether it be with BR or the club. It doesn't make sense why he hasn't been blooded in the squad like other players. 

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

He needs to play ever week. So we send him out on loan

We take another on loan, as cover, but also to take a good look at someone who can become one of our centre backs, on a permanent basis.

clever and simple really.

If we get somebody on loan he is obviously surplus to requirements . Why? because he is not good enough and if he is not good enough for his present club he is certainly not good enough for us.

If we get somebody on loan he is obviously surplus to requirements . Why? because he is not good enough and if he is not good enough for his present club he is certainly not good enough for us.

What like Tielemans last january??? lol

• Like 3

He's only 22! He's looking to go to a Championship team that are fighting for promotion. He's already proved himself capable of playing in Europe, and that's what we need him to be prepared for next season when the fixture list will be more demanding - this is just strategic planning. 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, rachhere said:

He's only 22! He's looking to go to a Championship team that are fighting for promotion. He's already proved himself capable of playing in Europe, and that's what we need him to be prepared for next season when the fixture list will be more demanding - this is just strategic planning. 

He is one year younger than Caglar is he too young as well ?