Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
koop.

All time 11 graphic

If you were to go from history, its going to get messy, Banks would be in goal or perhaps Shilton, Keller was good as was Flowers.

Strikers you'd have to include Arthur Chandler or Lineker, Claridge scored some majorly important goals for us and Walsh was versatile enough and then you have Sep Smith and of course Frank Worthington.

I think most if not all would have to go off only those players they have seen.

Thus,

Keller

Ricardo

Elliot

Huth

Fuchs

Mahrez

Izzet

Kante

Guppy

Claridge

Vardy

Had to put this in :)

Edited by ithuriel
video added
  • Like 1

Some of the players in the league winning 11 wouldn't make it into a few of the Leicester teams I've seen over the years but people seem a bit blinkered by their achievement over that one season (and rightly so!)

But what if you had go choose an all time XI and were not allowed to use any of those 11 players?

Neil Lennon rarely gets a shout on these things. Izzet was sexier but Lennon glued it all together. The classic conductor of the orchestra. 

Positionally brilliant. Read the game as good as anyone I've seen.

Gary Mac was the best passer we've had.

Lineker could never play with Vardy. Alan Smith or Emile Heskey would be the perfect partner (for Vards!, Not Lineker.Vatds is light years ahead if Gary)

Edited by Paninistickers

57 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Some of the players in the league winning 11 wouldn't make it into a few of the Leicester teams I've seen over the years but people seem a bit blinkered by their achievement over that one season (and rightly so!)

But what if you had go choose an all time XI and were not allowed to use any of those 11 players?

I think the exact opposite and people are way too blinkered by the past and the achievements of mid-table sides really. It's the consistency that made the title-winning players so good and that is what no other players have ever reached those individual heights of the title winning sides. Other players may have been more technically gifted but very few turned up game after game like virtually the entire title-winning 11 did that entire season.

But the further from the time of a player we get, the more people only remember their good sides. Hence players who played in O'Neill and Bloomfield's sides who used to only win 12 or 13 league games a season and of who all players used to have plenty of bad games a season get remembered alongside the staggering consistency of the title-winning season. Heskey is a prime example - he was an incredibly inconsistent and erratic player for us but nowadays people only remember his games against Arsenal or Southampton when he was superb and have forgot his bad games or even look back on his inconsistency with nostalgic fondness as if he was some mercurial talent.

Morgan and Fuchs for example were the best centre-back and left-back in the country for an entire season - they may never have been able to recreate that season again but no one else has really come close to their peaks - and it's not like they haven't been good players otherwise.

Ditto players like Lennon and Izzet were good players for where we were at the time as a decent mid-table side but people only remember their good games and not the 15 games a season where they usually had little impact and only nostalgia puts them ahead of Kante or Ndidi if we're being objective about it.

I think people are also leaving out Mahrez deliberately as a bit of a statement. I loved Weller and Glover when I was a kid but they'd both go on way longer stretches of bad form than even Mahrez did and people only remember their best bits, Mahrez was undoubtedly better than them.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not shitting on these players from the past - I loved watching them and they were great players and it's pretty natural for most players to only be great once every 3 or 4 games - but that's exactly why we won the league because to a man the players that season all somehow bucked that natural trend at the same time. I think you're massively, massively underestimating just how good and just how consistent the entire title-winning side was.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Could do the alternate greats as a talking point. Players who have had moments of greatness in a city shirt you wouldn't typically v select. 

Kalac in goal. Nalis in midfield. Feyatt upfront. 

Kalac - the non penalty saving heroics. 

Konchesky - for his hammers and the fact he grew hair when everyone had accepted his baldness. 

Walsh - too many moments. 

Taggart - for the Red Star Belgrade goal.

Andy Impey  - that cross for for the Izzet goal. 

Ian Ormondroyd - great moment in the build up to the goal in the play offs. 

Muzzy Izzet - for those goals against Tottenham and Grimsby. 

Nails - That goal against Leeds. 

Mark Albrighton - first CL goal. 

Matty Fryatt - quickest ever goal scorer. 

Tony Cottee - that goal against Utd for the first win at Old Trafford for the first time in ages. 

Edited by foxile5

1.     BANKS

18. ELLIOTT     5. WALSH (c)      4. SJOBERG         

14. KANTE                   10. GIBSON           

7. WELLER                           6. IZZET                           26. MAHREZ

11. CHANDLER         9. VARDY

• Like 2

People with rose-tinted (blue-tinted?) specs tend to ignore the inconvenient fact that players' speed and fitness has improved immeasurably since the 70s, let alone the 40s and 50s. Those pining for Arthur Chandler up front would find he'd probably struggle to make an impact in the conference due to the physicality required today. 

Even in the 80s and 90s, "top" professionals were training on 10 pints of lager, fish and chips and 20 B&H a day. Those players would be knackered after 20 minutes and simply intimidated by the speed, technical ability and agility possessed by even average professionals today. 

Put Matty James in the 1950s team and there'd be statues of him in Leicester City Centre today to celebrate his talent. 

Go on YouTube and watch some footage of top-tier tennis matches from the 50s. It's posh twats hardly breaking sweat and they're the elite of the game. 

If you gave talented players of that era access to the training, equipment, nutrition, science, etc we have today... Well that would be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Flappit said:

People with rose-tinted (blue-tinted?) specs tend to ignore the inconvenient fact that players' speed and fitness has improved immeasurably since the 70s, let alone the 40s and 50s. Those pining for Arthur Chandler up front would find he'd probably struggle to make an impact in the conference due to the physicality required today. 

Even in the 80s and 90s, "top" professionals were training on 10 pints of lager, fish and chips and 20 B&H a day. Those players would be knackered after 20 minutes and simply intimidated by the speed, technical ability and agility possessed by even average professionals today. 

Put Matty James in the 1950s team and there'd be statues of him in Leicester City Centre today to celebrate his talent. 

Go on YouTube and watch some footage of top-tier tennis matches from the 50s. It's posh twats hardly breaking sweat and they're the elite of the game. 

If you gave talented players of that era access to the training, equipment, nutrition, science, etc we have today... Well that would be interesting. 

Inconvenient facts like Matty was not born then and if he had been he'd train the same way and be match fit for that time and playing with harder balls, less developed shoes and quagmire pitches during the winter.

Your argument does not stand up, would be like a Man U all time eleven without Best because of the era he played in :P

12 minutes ago, Flappit said:

Absolute tosh, you could just as easily argue they achieved everything they did without a professional program, without fitness coaches, dieticians, modern medicine on far worse pitches than they play on today. Making their achievements greater than a player playing on perfect carpets every week.

The facts are though, you can only judge a player by their achievements and to be top goal scorer in football League history says Rowley deserves a mention in conversation like this, as does chandler as our all time leading scorer.

3 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Has to be Shilton in goal - no question (and I speak as someone who remembers Banks).

Keith Weller also has to be there. Classiest midfielder we've ever seen in royal blue.

Vardy of course (though I'd like to see Frankie Wortho in there somewhere).

Guppy over Glover? Not sure...

John Sjoberg, obviously. 

Just a reminder that we had some pretty good players in the twentieth century too.

Yes totally agree with you. As well as the ones you listed there’s been  Cross Rodrigues Nish Gibson Kaamark Glover Dougan McLintock Mcallister Osman Lineker Smith Lynex Rofe Taggart Elliot Walsh. And at a push Wallington Flowers Walker
many of the above could get into an all time great Leicester team and they are not including players pre 1960 

Edited by Lesterlad

This is based on seeing all of these play since growing up (I've watched plenty of videos of the past "greats" but don't feel in a position to judge). Lineker is the only one I didn't see play for Leicester. He was such a phenomenal goalscorer I can't leave him out. Four of our current squad make the cut. Pearson just pips O'Neill and Raneiri just by the way I've judged it. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Walsh 

Elliot 

Fuchs 

Kante

Mahrez

Cambiasso

Izzet 

Lineker

Vardy

Manager: Pearson 

Had a tough time leaving out some of the following; Taggart, Lennon, Huth, Morgan, Guppy, Albrighton, Shilton. 

Can see Evans, Soyuncu making it with a bit more time. Wealth of talent in the all time centre back position though. 

• Like 1

If i'm going on the best i've ever seen play personally then i'd have to go with 

Schmeical 

Kamark

Walsh

Morgan

Elliott

Izzet

Kante

Mahrez

Guppy

Vardy

Heskey

Manager: Pearson 

or is it? :blink:

Just too hard, i might not bother getting one at all :nigel:

On 19/01/2020 at 13:40, splinterdream said:

When it says all time 11, is it the most gifted that’s played for the club? If so, surely Esteban is in with a shout? 

Yes, but he just wasn't with us for long enough to get into the 11

It's about the most gifted but also that have a bit of longevity 

We had Mancini but you wouldn't put him in would you :dunno:

I'd pick

Banks (people say Shilton was more talented but Banks won the World Cup and just seems the more legendary)

Sjoberg

Walsh (not the most talented but was Mr Leicester City)

Morgan 

Fuchs (Strokes is right, honestly can't think of a better left back in my time)

Midfield is harder

Weller 

Izzet (or Gibson?)

Kante (I loved Lennon but Kante is Kante)

Mahrez

Vardy 

Chandler (feels bad leaving out Worthington)

5 from recent years might be recency bias, but they won the league. There's nothing else to say really.