Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Formula 1 2020

15 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

So not much different 

A bit, the main difference is that other teams had a chance of catching up through development, apart from when Ferrari threatened to quit the sport if active ride wasn’t banned, but that was more to do with the brilliance of the Williams electronics wiz kids. The Schumacher years were down to him being a brilliant driver. The Hamilton years are down to no one else allowing to produce a new engine unless it’s a new manufacturer coming in, such as Honda.

Replacement likely to be Esteban Gutierrez, who last drove for Haas in 2016 and didn't manage a single finish inside the points the entire season

Has been the test driver for Mercedes since then also

Edited by moore_94

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Replacement likely to be Esteban Gutierrez, who last drove for Haas in 2016 and didn't manage a single finish inside the points the entire season

Has been the test driver for Mercedes since then also

Hopefully they pick Vandoorne instead,  better driver of the 2. 

27 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Don't think they can unfortunately as he is in Berlin driving in Formula E, only option is Esteban I think

Although apparently Esteban Gutierrez no longer has a super license, so absolutely no clue lol

Is Vandoorne a Merc test driver too? I know hes unavailable but I thought it was harsh on Gutierrez who, as a reserve driver waits for opportunities like these. Just read though that apparently his super licence has deactivated which begs the question why do Merc have a reserve driver who can't step up if he was ever needed? I suppose if they ever needed someone they'd pinch Russell and Williams would promote Aitken

Just now, Walkers said:

Is Vandoorne a Merc test driver too? I know hes unavailable but I thought it was harsh on Gutierrez who, as a reserve driver waits for opportunities like these. Just read though that apparently his super licence has deactivated which begs the question why do Merc have a reserve driver who can't step up if he was ever needed? I suppose if they ever needed someone they'd pinch Russell and Williams would promote Aitken

Yeah it would've been Vandoorne, and Gutierrez seems to do a lot of the esports and simulator driving stuff for Merc rather than actual real life driving so even if he had his super license he still hasn't driven for about 4 years so not sure they would really trust him to do well

I imagine Russell would step up to Merc if needed with Aitken taking the Williams seat (honestly this is what I expect to happen for the 2022 season I think it is when Bottas contract ends)

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Yeah it would've been Vandoorne, and Gutierrez seems to do a lot of the esports and simulator driving stuff for Merc rather than actual real life driving so even if he had his super license he still hasn't driven for about 4 years so not sure they would really trust him to do well

I imagine Russell would step up to Merc if needed with Aitken taking the Williams seat (honestly this is what I expect to happen for the 2022 season I think it is when Bottas contract ends)

I should probably just google this but is Vandoorne actually part of the Mercedes F1 team? I know he drives for their FE team but wasn't sure if that was as far as it went or if because of that he had ties to the F1 operation

Just now, Walkers said:

I should probably just google this but is Vandoorne actually part of the Mercedes F1 team? I know he drives for their FE team but wasn't sure if that was as far as it went or if because of that he had ties to the F1 operation

Yeah he was the simulator driver for them last year and this year he has been named as one of the Merc test drivers/reserve drivers