Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Horse's Mouth

Formula 1 2020

32 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Ever since drive to survive the biggest melts going have become F1 fans it seems lol

People moaning that the Sky F1 facebook page cover photo is a picture of Hamilton/his car

People moaning that the Sky promotional poster type things for the weekends race has Hamilton at the forefront of it

People moaning that the F1 Instagram account is a Hamilton fanpage because they post a fair few pictures/videos of the guy that happened to win the race today (and most others) when they literally do the same when other drivers win the race

Then today just more clutching at straws that he should have been disqualified because he drove a car for half a lap that was unsafe, completely ignoring the fact that two others did the same (Bottas for even further).

And furthermore "he's the luckiest driver EVER" Well today he led every single second of the race, he was lucky it didn't cost him in the end but he was pissing unlucky to get the puncture in the first place.

• Like 1

Theres definitely more of a leaning towards hamilton but I think that's purely because his name ascends the sport and he has a certain level of celebrity profile. You can say hes had a lucky career path maybe, but I think the fact he finished in first on 3 wheels emphasises more the completely monopoly Merc have on the sport rather than Hamilton being lucky. As someone who doesnt like him I have noticed hes got a lot more hate since the BLM thing which is very daft imo

A good friend of mine just started his YouTube channel dedicated to F1. Always been passionate about the sport. He has no professional background (A bit of Karting back in the day) just a huge fan of racing.

See what you guys think. Remember he is very much a novice when it comes to the YouTube scene. Think his channel is a week old.

As a racer, Hamilton deserves to be the headliner on F1 social media as he is the best driver historically from the current batch and, at present, the most marketable one too.

As a person, he's still a smug, insufferable, condescending cvnt though.

Edited by Nalis

Hamilton remains the top racer out there for me - though I'm fond of Max and a couple of others coming through recently.

Hamilton is a bit marmite though. I find him uncomfortable - sort of hard to like - a bit insecure, a bit misunderstood and doesn't come over well when winning or losing or talking to the media.

I reckon all people are a bit like this though and if you met him for a pint it'd be alright but he is an 'uncomfortable character' but I think personally, it's perhaps very unfair to go further than that with derogatory remarks.

• Like 1

I think for me with Hamilton is that not only is he hard to like, but he's the lead on a team that's hard to like. I completely respect what both have done, you can't argue with the machine they've produced, and the driving ability of Hamilton, but the dominance just dilutes the intrigue at the top. I mean it's not like it's not been that way before, or will be again, but still... eh.

Conversely, I really pull for Lando and Albon. I know Albon will be on the RB scrapheap soon, but I really enjoyed him scything through the field yesterday.

At least there was an intriguing midfield battle yesterday. It meant the Mercs (and Max) could just disappear so we saw glimpses off them until the final couple of laps. No need to see them cruising round. Just hope it's not the one race where there was a chance of beating a Mercedes to first place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I think for me with Hamilton is that not only is he hard to like, but he's the lead on a team that's hard to like. I completely respect what both have done, you can't argue with the machine they've produced, and the driving ability of Hamilton, but the dominance just dilutes the intrigue at the top. I mean it's not like it's not been that way before, or will be again, but still... eh.

Conversely, I really pull for Lando and Albon. I know Albon will be on the RB scrapheap soon, but I really enjoyed him scything through the field yesterday.

At least there was an intriguing midfield battle yesterday. It meant the Mercs (and Max) could just disappear so we saw glimpses off them until the final couple of laps. No need to see them cruising round. Just hope it's not the one race where there was a chance of beating a Mercedes to first place.

So you don't like Mercedes because they're good? Despite respecting them..

• Haha 1

Just now, Walkers said:

So you don't like Mercedes because they're good? Despite respecting them..

I think you can not like what they've unintentionally done to the sport despite appreciating the incredible effort that goes in their back office.

It's obviously more complex than that, with arguments about teams not being able to keep up with them etc. but I can't say I root for Mercedes going into a race weekend, and I am naturally drawn to rooting for other teams.

I actively don't want Mercedes because I want the sport more competitive. I'd be exactly the same if it was Red Bull in a period of seven-year dominance, one second ahead of their nearest competitor and draining the life out of a sport I enjoy following. My dislike is not wedded forever, I won't have "die Mercedes die" on my gravestone because I don't "support" an F1 team.

• Like 1

Just now, Footballwipe said:

I think you can not like what they've unintentionally done to the sport despite appreciating the incredible effort that goes in their back office.

It's obviously more complex than that, with arguments about teams not being able to keep up with them etc. but I can't say I root for Mercedes going into a race weekend, and I am naturally drawn to rooting for other teams.

I actively don't want Mercedes because I want the sport more competitive. I'd be exactly the same if it was Red Bull in a period of seven-year dominance, one second ahead of their nearest competitor and draining the life out of a sport I enjoy following. My dislike is not wedded forever, I won't have "die Mercedes die" on my gravestone because I don't "support" an F1 team.

It's up to others to raise their game, not for Mercedes to be brought down to their level. You can argue that only Ferrari have the budget to take on Mercedes, but it's not Mercedes' fault that Ferrari are a shambles.

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It's up to others to raise their game, not for Mercedes to be brought down to their level. You can argue that only Ferrari have the budget to take on Mercedes, but it's not Mercedes' fault that Ferrari are a shambles.

I get that, I'm not asking for Mercedes to come down a level. At all. My main goal is not for X Y Z specifically to be winning again, my goal when I watch the sport is to have a variety of pole sitters, lap leaders, race winners. Mercedes are preventing that from happening, like other teams have in the past, and it, as a result, gives me a conscious bias against them.

Maybe the spending caps might make a difference, I'm not nuanced enough to know. All I know is that my biases against any F1 team is based on when they dominate the sport. It always has been and always will be.

Would like a rant though as i've nothing better to do at the minute

I'm not one for talking about GOAT's and things, especially with F1 considering how the sport is evolving all the time. Very soon Hamilton will hold virtually all major records and there are still people who dismiss him as just being an average driver in a good car. Generally those people have a very low IQ but for the few normies that do genuinely believe that, has there ever been a more complete, all round driver than Hamilton? I only really watched F1 seriously after 06 so I won't pretend I know Schumacher inside out and drivers like Senna before that. But Hamilton is quick over one lap, quick and consistent in races, phenomenal in the wet, is fair/clean racer and has great all-round racecraft, and barely ever makes mistakes. That's not to say he has never fallen foul of any of the above, but he is all of those on a consistent basis. It doesn't matter whether he's in the best car or not, he is achieving his targets on a regular basis, more so than any other driver on the grid.

Then there's this sentiment where other quality drivers who haven't got a dominant car under them must be better than Hamilton. A sympathy opinion based on what? How can anybody sit there and say with absolute confidence that Verstappen, Vettel and co. would walk into that team and walk all over him? For the record i'm not saying it can't happen, but there zilch to suggest it will happen either. "Anybody can win in that car" Giovanazzi wouldn't even get on the podium in this car. They fall into the belief that the car drives itself, that there is no mental management to fighting for race wins. The same people obsess over Verstappen doing supersonic things in his car. There is no doubt that Verstappen is a star in the making but right now he is taking the 2nd best car to finish on the podium all the time, 2nd if a Merc trips up. He is maxing out what the car is capable of, but because that isn't race wins it is seen as doing something extraordinary. He is achieving exactly what Hamilton is achieving. 

Hamilton showed he had the ability to achieve great things from his very first race. He scored podium finishes in his first 9 races didn't he? In one of the best cars but by no means dominant, certainly for a rookie. Should have won the Championship but still ended up beating (fine, equalling) Alonso, who people still see as being better than him through the sympathy of Alonso taking multple wrong career moves. That's another crazy thing always labelled against him aswell, that Hamilton had it easy because he got chucked straight into a good car. How can that be a criticism? Like he has to follow in the path of all great drivers before him by starting off in a slower/midfield car. It speaks volumes of how talented and highly rated he was by McLaren to be given a chance and he absolutely proved them right with his performances.

As I just touched on with Alonso, ultimately anybody who wins lots of races and championships will have made some good career moves to deliver them. Hamilton left McLaren when they were still winning, and haven't won a race since have they? Mercedes hadn't won a race I don't think before he had joined (did Rosberg win in China in 2012 or 13?). It was a switch that raised eyebrows at the time but it was a clever and calculated risk that Hamilton took and he's been rewarded it. If he hadn't done that and Vettel switched to Merc in 2014, we could be sat here right now with Vettel being a 9/10 time Champion. If Schumacher didn't switch to Ferrari in the 90s would he have won any more titles? People also still speak as though Schumacher is behind the secrets of the current car and Hamilton is reaping the rewards. **** off. He may well have done something in the early days of the hybrid era but the switch in fortunes between McLaren and Mercedes in 13/14 can't be ignored either. I think people always prefer to see the past as "the good ol' days" and while Schumacher may have split opinions, now he's gone there is a lot more appreciation for him. In 10/15 years when Hamilton has long gone and Verstappen is about to clinch his 120th race victory maybe Hamilton will be a little more respected.

• Like 4

I think the problem with Hamilton is, it's hard to put your finger on, he just comes across as a gargantuan nob and I think that clouds people when they come to judge him as a driver. I think he's by a way the best driver of his generation but hard to compare generations. The reason you'd be more inclined to put someone like Senna above Hamilton is because he was just so likeable and all the things Hamilton isn't so as an overall package you'd be much more inclined to say Senna. 

@Walkers, I won't quote your post because its a long post, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Hamilton the only driver to win a race in every season of F1 he's entered? Even when McLaren started to fall off before he left, he was still pulling out wins on a regular basis, and competing. 

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

@Walkers, I won't quote your post because its a long post, but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Hamilton the only driver to win a race in every season of F1 he's entered? Even when McLaren started to fall off before he left, he was still pulling out wins on a regular basis, and competing. 

Yes, he won one race in 2009 and 2013, both in Hungary I think 

I'm a bit bored so why not reply

4 hours ago, Walkers said:

Very soon Hamilton will hold virtually all major records and there are still people who dismiss him as just being an average driver in a good car

Don't really disagree with much in the first paragraph, but I do think it's important to mention the expanded calender we have now regarding these records, not taking them away from him at all but it's important to note if you're talking about him amongst Senna, Prost .etc.

"Anybody can win in that car" Giovanazzi wouldn't even get on the podium in this car

You're being delusional if you think that's the case, I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting Giovanazzi would match the level of dominance Lewis has in that car, but that car is ridiculously on another level this year, Hungary 7 seconds up after 3 laps werent it lol .Not sure your hate for Gio honestly, he's shown good improvement from the start of last season and has been giving it to Kimi a lot recently. Not a top driver, but I think he'll make a solid midfielder in the future. 

who people still see as being better than him through the sympathy of Alonso taking multple wrong career moves

I don't think that's right, you're right in terms of the bad career moves but his bad career moves give us examples of how much of a phenomenal driver Alonso is when he can drag utter shitboxes into title fights like in 2012 and some ridiculous performances in that McLaren Honda. Like this isn't Lewis' fault for the record, he's played a great political game within F1 and ultimately that's how you win multiple world championships. But you can't get pissy that people have seen Alonso on all levels of the grid and has seen it proven on all levels whereas Lewis has always been in that elite car so we only have really one threshold to judge him on. . With Alonso as well, I don't think he's ever been beaten by his team mate, although I could be wrong in that. Aside from equalling Lewis, whereas Lewis lost to Nico & Button. 

It was a switch that raised eyebrows at the time but it was a clever and calculated risk that Hamilton took and he's been rewarded it.

With this as well, while I know hindsight is 20/20 I think at the time if you looked at it objectively, Mercedes were supplying the best power units since the Schumi era finally collasped, they bankrolled a lot of money and had great minds like Ross Brawn and Schumi involved with the early makings, I think titles were expected, this level of dominance probably wasn't though, but I do think people make this out a bit too much like Hamilton had it all to lose, whereas McLaren were clearly on the downward spiral with their car strictly from an aero and chasis point of view and from 2010 onwards they were no longer a factory team.

but the switch in fortunes between McLaren and Mercedes in 13/14 can't be ignored either

I think attributing this to Hamilton is a bit far fetched, it was more to do with the fact Merc had a huge head start on the rest of the pack when developing the hybrid technology and McLaren were another team to fall by the wayside in that and at this point, they were 5 years without a title anyway and aside from the pretty much 5000/1 chance in 2010, they never had the consistency to be challenging at that point

I think people always prefer to see the past as "the good ol' days" and while Schumacher may have split opinions, now he's gone there is a lot more appreciation for him

I mean this is pretty much true, it happens in any sport. Like Fergie dominating english football, you respect him a lot more when he's not doing it because you're not supporting him at the time.

Hamilton will be a little more respected.

I don't get this either, like Hamilton gets a lot of respect especially in comparison to Schumi who you could argue had the better career. Like back when Schumi was dominating even the media was involved in bashing Ferrari's team orders(as opposed to them being ok with Bottas surrendering in Russia) and Schumi for his own misdemeanors . Like I don't get where you get this idea that Hamilton is far less respected that he should be when tbh he's not. 

18 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

The problem is always the detractors & Lazy critics,of any top sportsman at the hight of their careers....

People are what they are,but too many "wanna-be" Jump on gestures or statements made by the individual and according their own perspective will create agendas,

Without knowing anything of those Sports people. Plus with high achievers,there will always be a Mix of arrogance & self belief,they will also want to use in

other opinions in walks of life.....in

everybody Loves a Star.....until they become Human & Open their mouths....!!!

10 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You're being delusional if you think that's the case, I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting Giovanazzi would match the level of dominance Lewis has in that car, but that car is ridiculously on another level this year, Hungary 7 seconds up after 3 laps werent it lol .Not sure your hate for Gio honestly, he's shown good improvement from the start of last season and has been giving it to Kimi a lot recently. Not a top driver, but I think he'll make a solid midfielder in the future. 

I don't get this either, like Hamilton gets a lot of respect especially in comparison to Schumi who you could argue had the better career. Like back when Schumi was dominating even the media was involved in bashing Ferrari's team orders(as opposed to them being ok with Bottas surrendering in Russia) and Schumi for his own misdemeanors . Like I don't get where you get this idea that Hamilton is far less respected that he should be when tbh he's not. 

It's not hate and maybe it is harsh but he's the most passive driver I can remember. Solid if unspectacular, a bit like Max Chilton but he drove a Marussia so it's understandable why he never pulled up any trees. I can't honestly think of one thing he has done in the last 18 months besides lead a few laps at Singapore because of a safety car. Not even a mega overtaken even if it was for 14th position. But no there are people who seriously think he could match what he does without a doubt.

And no I completely disagree. There is not one driver on the current grid (and many past grids) who is less respected than him. If he wins its because he's in the best car. If he wins on 3 wheels he should have parked up and retired on the grounds of safety. If he wins from 14th in Germany it's because the safety car helped him. When he gets most wins and ties/beats Schumachers 7 titles its because he's never had a midfield car or worse. I'll tell you now if he wins the title this year people will say it shouldn't count because it's a weird season. People can not give him credit for what he achieves. He beats his team mate most years, however it's not because he's a level above Bottas who is a very good driver, it's because he's an average driver up against a shit driver. It's a total lie. We can sit here all day and list the benefits that Hamilton has had over all the records he now holds over Schumacher, but then we can do exactly the same about Schumacher and those before him, and those before him. It's a cycle that ends all the way back at the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

And no I completely disagree. There is not one driver on the current grid (and many past grids) who is less respected than him.

You're being silly now, there's no way a Romain Grosjean or even Seb gets the same amount of respect as Hamilton does, like I'm confused who you're arguing at here tbh. Some fringe group on the internet perhaps? All the coverage Hamilton gets is largely positive and the majority of ex drivers turned pundits call him the best ever .etc. You could argue maybe a Max gets more respect from the majority, but it's more about perception in that case. He's been in the underdog team, so when he pulls of a miraculous victory he'll get plaudits, obviously Hamilton has much better machinery so it's almost expected.

You could also argue that Vettel's dominance gets more respect but I think that's purely because of the competition at the time, like 2010 & 2012 in particular were incredibly open seasons and while this isn't Hamilton's fault, it's easy to see why you'd think that from the outside. Aside from maybe a bit of hope in 2017/18 (cant remember which) where it looked like Ferrari could challenge, he's largely only in competition with his team mate and since Rosberg left, Bottas has been the de facto second driver.

If he wins its because he's in the best car. If he wins on 3 wheels he should have parked up and retired on the grounds of safety

This i'm also confused about, I've seen a few fringe people on twitter say this but has anyone with a mainstream voice ala a Martin Brundle said that he should be disqualified or anything like that. Most drivers usually continue on with a puncture. 

I'll tell you now if he wins the title this year people will say it shouldn't count because it's a weird season.

But you can easily flip that round and say if Bottas won this season that Hamilton fans would say the exact same thing, the amount of agenda over Nico winning it because Merc have rigged it so a German driver would win it was rife when Hamilton had competition within that car and even the mainstream media went with the reliability angle rather than just giving it to Nico on merit.

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

it's because he's an average driver up against a shit driver. It's a total lie

Again I don't see this ever, Bottas is certainly underrated by a lot but I've never seen anyone saying Lewis is an average driver. People will say he's had the luckiest career path to date, but that's another matter in regards to actual skill.

2 hours ago, Walkers said:

We can sit here all day and list the benefits that Hamilton has had over all the records he now holds over Schumacher, but then we can do exactly the same about Schumacher and those before him, and those before him. It's a cycle that ends all the way back at the beginning.

Yeah and I agree with that, this constant "GOAT" discussion is ridiculous, it's a bit of a yank thing anyway but it's almost impossible to do it with F1 because of how much it has evolved. Back in the 60s or 70s you'd be a great driver to be able to retire and not end up dead. Every decade has pretty much been a different playing field as technology has advanced. Forgot who said it recently, might've been Lando who said the current F1 cars are easier to drive than the F2 cars so it does show the gulf in gap on how much the driver's instincts are relied on now in comparison to 30 years ago. (not using that to backhand Hamilton either, but it shows the difference in the sport now) . Lewis will go down as one of the greats and already is considered that by most, like I say I'm not sure who you're arguing at here.

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You're being silly now, there's no way a Romain Grosjean or even Seb gets the same amount of respect as Hamilton does, like I'm confused who you're arguing at here tbh. Some fringe group on the internet perhaps? All the coverage Hamilton gets is largely positive and the majority of ex drivers turned pundits call him the best ever .etc. You could argue maybe a Max gets more respect from the majority, but it's more about perception in that case. He's been in the underdog team, so when he pulls of a miraculous victory he'll get plaudits, obviously Hamilton has much better machinery so it's almost expected.

You could also argue that Vettel's dominance gets more respect but I think that's purely because of the competition at the time, like 2010 & 2012 in particular were incredibly open seasons and while this isn't Hamilton's fault, it's easy to see why you'd think that from the outside. Aside from maybe a bit of hope in 2017/18 (cant remember which) where it looked like Ferrari could challenge, he's largely only in competition with his team mate and since Rosberg left, Bottas has been the de facto second driver.

This i'm also confused about, I've seen a few fringe people on twitter say this but has anyone with a mainstream voice ala a Martin Brundle said that he should be disqualified or anything like that. Most drivers usually continue on with a puncture. 

But you can easily flip that round and say if Bottas won this season that Hamilton fans would say the exact same thing, the amount of agenda over Nico winning it because Merc have rigged it so a German driver would win it was rife when Hamilton had competition within that car and even the mainstream media went with the reliability angle rather than just giving it to Nico on merit.

Again I don't see this ever, Bottas is certainly underrated by a lot but I've never seen anyone saying Lewis is an average driver. People will say he's had the luckiest career path to date, but that's another matter in regards to actual skill.

Yeah and I agree with that, this constant "GOAT" discussion is ridiculous, it's a bit of a yank thing anyway but it's almost impossible to do it with F1 because of how much it has evolved. Back in the 60s or 70s you'd be a great driver to be able to retire and not end up dead. Every decade has pretty much been a different playing field as technology has advanced. Forgot who said it recently, might've been Lando who said the current F1 cars are easier to drive than the F2 cars so it does show the gulf in gap on how much the driver's instincts are relied on now in comparison to 30 years ago. (not using that to backhand Hamilton either, but it shows the difference in the sport now) . Lewis will go down as one of the greats and already is considered that by most, like I say I'm not sure who you're arguing at here.

You really can't read much social media then (not that i'd blame you at all). Like I said above anything Hamilton related has the comments section just overflowing with hate. If you do read F1's accounts then I don't understand how you're not seeing them. These are the people i'm aiming this at but as whoever it was said below your post, they aren't worth the time at all.

On the respect issue though, first and foremost every F1 driver is obviously extremely talented. The criticism Grosjean draws is for the silly mistakes he tends to make and is actually somewhat justified. The people who dismiss him as being shit or any other expletive are clearly idiots, thats the dispect side of it. It's strange because in his Lotus days he actually became a very good driver. Vettel is perhaps a fair shout, but again he has caused his own criticism by his sharp fall from grace. Now that he's out of the Championship spotlight there seems to be more sympathy for him than criticism. Over the course of his career he has been great but there really can't be many, if any drivers that has made more mistakes than he has in the last 2-3 years. It's too many certainly for a man of his experience in a car that has been more often than not capable of winning races.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Walkers said:

You really can't read much social media then (not that i'd blame you at all). Like I said above anything Hamilton related has the comments section just overflowing with hate. If you do read F1's accounts then I don't understand how you're not seeing them. These are the people i'm aiming this at but as whoever it was said below your post, they aren't worth the time at all.

The only recent hate I seen regarding Hamilton was the BLM thing, of all these people saying "i supported lewis for so long but this is too far" lol . There's defo a bit of slagging, but I've not seen this much to warrant your response really lol . I do try and avoid it because I genuinely think Lando's following is a reason why i don't like him now and the milk stuff is a bit cringe. I don't quite want them to ruin George for me while we've still got him. I don't disagree too much with your last paragraph, i do think both drivers have had much more disrespect mainstream wise than they warrant but that's a different issue I think. 

10 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The only recent hate I seen regarding Hamilton was the BLM thing, of all these people saying "i supported lewis for so long but this is too far" lol . There's defo a bit of slagging, but I've not seen this much to warrant your response really lol . I do try and avoid it because I genuinely think Lando's following is a reason why i don't like him now and the milk stuff is a bit cringe. I don't quite want them to ruin George for me while we've still got him. I don't disagree too much with your last paragraph, i do think both drivers have had much more disrespect mainstream wise than they warrant but that's a different issue I think. 

Just checked out the last Hamilton themed post on IG, top comments (assuming that people liking the comment signals they agree with it) are

"This account should be renamed official Lewis Hamilton fanpage. Ricciardo finishing P4 should have more recognition"

"Lewis Hamilton fan account"

"Another Lewis post great"

"Penalty for dangerous driving then lol "   (the post was about his top speed with the puncture)

"Everyone could have done it change my mind"

"With the most overpowered car in history"

A few more photos later

"Unbelievable how lucky this guy is"

"He's even lucky in an unlucky situation, amazing" < which is somewhat fair enough on this occasion

"Now tell me he isn't the luckiest driver ever"

"Only Hamilton can get so lucky to get a puncture when it doesnt really matter"

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

I'm sorta tired of the BLM thing but not passionately enough to speak up against it or to change my opinion on someone who actively promotes it. Some of the things he did come out and say over that period, particularly condoning the the statue situations and encouraging for people to topple more of them had me shaking my head. But thats another convo

Yeah Norris' fanbase has a very One Direction feel to it. It shouldn't put me off him but it kinda does lol