Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Good Deeds & News (Corona)

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

As good as it is shouldn't these people be self isolating? :dunno:

I see what you're saying but you could be under 70 and vulnerable. Or have no underlying health conditions (very unlikely) and older! 

I think I've seen some stores allow family or relatives go in on behalf of elderly. Not sure how that's policed though. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I see what you're saying but you could be under 70 and vulnerable. Or have no underlying health conditions (very unlikely) and older! 

I think I've seen some stores allow family or relatives go in on behalf of elderly. Not sure how that's policed though. 

Well I'm in the at risk category and I'm trying my hardest to steer clear of everyone, not been possible so far as an online order I managed to slip  in just before this self isolate advice came half the stuff was missing so I had to go and get what i could anyway. I've got a corner shop near me that's going to be my only concession, hopefully. Although I'm also looking for a local milk round.

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

literally the only people who have infinite job security are getting free stuff. should be giving free shit to everyone who isn't getting paid for the next 3 or 4 months surely. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Didn't Gary Neville give one of his hotels to NHS workers to stay free of charge. If true then good on him.

If I had a spare room I'd have offered it to an NHS worker to live in....fit 25ish year old brunette (woman not man!!!)

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, davieG said:

As good as it is shouldn't these people be self isolating? :dunno:

I believe that those over 70 that are asymptomatic are allowed essential outings for food and medicines if they have no-one else to do that for them.

Also they are encouraged to go out for walks, walk their dogs etc to help with well-being.

metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/coronavirus-uk-can-go-outside-self-isolating-12410750/ (That's the website adress, I can't get it become a hyperlink)

Edited by Parafox

42 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I believe that those over 70 that are asymptomatic are allowed essential outings for food and medicines if they have no-one else to do that for them.

Also they are encouraged to go out for walks, walk their dogs etc to help with well-being.

metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/coronavirus-uk-can-go-outside-self-isolating-12410750/ (That's the website adress, I can't get it become a hyperlink)

Aye I get that I go for walks myself but I can't see the point of self isolating and then joining lots of people shopping, if it's done to enable them to compete for food than that's good but I'll be trying to avoid having to shop with lots of people.

33 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Domino's giving free medium pizzas to NHS staff. Selected stores only. 

Whilst I and no doubt other NHS staff, appreciate what Domino's and Costa are doing for us, I'd much rather they make these offers to the people that will struggle when their jobs are shut down. I can afford pizza and so on and my job is definitely not at risk. It's nice to be thought of and personally, I feel more appreciated when they do these things. I'm very grateful for their gesture and thank you to those outlets that are doing it. Although being at work right now is very challenging and demands are extremely high, I can go home (eventually) and have stuff to eat because I have a secure income until I get ill, then I get no sick pay or benefits because I'm bank staff and therefore zero hours. But even then I think I'll be able to manage for a decent length of time. 

As an aside, EMAS is currently under extreme pressure from 999 calls from normally healthy people that basically feel unwell and may have a cough and want us to "check them over". I've been to 2 recently that merely wanted me to take their temperature as they had no thermometer. They had told the call taker that they had (1) difficulty in breathing, an automatic category 1 response and (2) chest pains again an automatic cat 1 response. They had no chest pain when I examined them fully and they were 35 yrs old. And that's the way it's going because these types cannot wait or try a different pathway. People will die because of the selfishness of others. It makes what we do so very difficult and frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Whilst I and no doubt other NHS staff, appreciate what Domino's and Costa are doing for us, I'd much rather they make these offers to the people that will struggle when their jobs are shut down. I can afford pizza and so on and my job is definitely not at risk. It's nice to be thought of and personally, I feel more appreciated when they do these things. I'm very grateful for their gesture and thank you to those outlets that are doing it. Although being at work right now is very challenging and demands are extremely high, I can go home (eventually) and have stuff to eat because I have a secure income until I get ill, then I get no sick pay or benefits because I'm bank staff and therefore zero hours. But even then I think I'll be able to manage for a decent length of time

That's great, for you. And you are fortunate to be in that position. But not everybody that works in NHS is? Not everyone who is working long hours is able to go and do their shopping and if they are, not able to do it on a whim and get what they want because if some of the other cvnts in society these days. 

I don't get why people can't just take a good gesture like this for what it is. Why does there have to be questions or debate about it. It's a weird thing to question at this moment, anyway. 

Maybe with the free pizza, food, drinks you can get from Domino's or other companies offering, you can get it for free and give it to someone you know who isn't as fortunate or is in a vulnerable situation :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

That's great, for you. And you are fortunate to be in that position. But not everybody that works in NHS is? Not everyone who is working long hours is able to go and do their shopping and if they are, not able to do it on a whim and get what they want because if some of the other cvnts in society these days. 

I don't get why people can't just take a good gesture like this for what it is. Why does there have to be questions or debate about it. It's a weird thing to question at this moment, anyway. 

Maybe with the free pizza, food, drinks you can get from Domino's or other companies offering, you can get it for free and give it to someone you know who isn't as fortunate or is in a vulnerable situation :)

Maybe with the free pizza, food, drinks you can get from Domino's or other companies offering, you can get it for free and give it to someone you know who isn't as fortunate or is in a vulnerable situation.

And I would. That was in my thought process as I was posting

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And I would. That was in my thought process as I was posting. Just didn't include it.

• Like 1

Anyone that has kids with a tablet if they get bored if they do get locked up type in Google Edinburgh live zoo cams they can watch animals live your welcome ps share

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 18:50, davieG said:

Coronavirus: Venice canals clearer after lockdown

Residents of Venice are noticing a vast improvement in the quality of the famous canals that run through the city, which are running clear for the first time in years, and fish can even be seen in the usually murky waters.

The coronavirus lockdown has left Venice streets empty, and a drastic drop in water traffic means sediment in the canals has been able to settle.

It looks like the environment will get a break through this.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here in the event of a lockdown. I'd hate to see whats lurking at the bottom of our canals!