Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Good Deeds & News (Corona)

5 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I hope the same thing doesn't happen here in the event of a lockdown. I'd hate to see whats lurking at the bottom of our canals!

Might find my old bike from 1968, the cashbox after raiding Fenwicks....and grandad.. Who went fishing....in 1970..

and an engagement-ring,when Sussanne threw it Away  told me it was off.....:ill:

Wasn't sure where to talk about this, but for my younger son atm it's a bit of a double edged sword. Obviously hoping we all get through the medical crisis, he was due to take his GCSEs this summer. So he should come out of it fairly well, no revision and no exam stress, and possibly higher grades. But he finished on Wednesday with none of the usual last day fanfare and has actually left school, the end of a massive chapter in his life. 

Not a biggie really but a little bit sad for them all nonetheless 

• Like 1

ASDA

We’re donating £5 million to FareShare and the Trussell Trust 

Dear Customer, 

These are the most extraordinary of times and whilst it has only been a few short days since I last wrote to you – so much has happened in that time. Every day I become more keenly aware of our responsibility to help feed the nation – both by keeping our shelves stocked and deliveries moving – and I am incredibly grateful to my colleagues in our shops and depots for their efforts. We also have the ability to support our communities by providing employment to those whose jobs have been impacted by this crisis, and by supporting our charity partners to help the most vulnerable in our communities. 

We know that foodbanks are in need more than ever in these unprecedented times, which is why we will be donating £5 million to our partners FareShare and the Trussell Trust to help the country’s most vulnerable people through COVID-19. 

The extensive package of measures will provide over 4 million meals to families in food poverty impacted by Coronavirus as well as giving more than 3,000 charities the ability to access free food over the next 3 months as they fight to tackle the impacts of Coronavirus in their communities. The donation will help the two food distribution charities as they experience a huge increase in demand over the coming months, as more vulnerable people turn to food banks for help through COVID-19. 

The funding will also continue the work of the Fight Hunger Create Change partnership between Asda and the two charities by helping tackle the root causes of poverty through supporting 800,000 people over the next year with debt and financial advice. 

We also want to support our colleagues and our customers as much as we possibly can. As of today, we will be moving our stores to 8am-8pm opening hours, meaning our colleagues have some time to re-stock the shelves of their stores and thoroughly clean for our customers to be able to shop. As a final point, we would also urge our customers, where possible, to use cashless payment options to reduce contact with our colleagues and help prevent further spread of the virus. 

We know that our amazing NHS staff are working harder than ever, which is why, as of next week, we have decided to prioritise their access to our stores every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8-9am in our larger stores. 

I would again like to personally thank you for your ongoing support and patience during an uncertain time. Our communities are at the heart of what we do, so I would urge all of you to continue to shop responsibly and look after your fellow customers in our stores, respecting those who need to shop between 8am-9am, and if you can – by donating to your local food bank. 

And finally, I would like again thank our colleagues for their tireless efforts in our stores and depots. We’re in this together – and together we will get through this extraordinary time. 

Take Care, 

Roger 

Might not seem much, but got an email from my gym today saying they'll pause payment until they reopen. I honestly hadn't even thought about. Was gonna let the first month fly and then pause it if it went on longer.

• Like 2

Speaking to a customer last week, expressing my concerns about being able to get food after several fruitless trips to get bread and basic items for my family. When I left she handed my a shopping bag with bread, tins pot noodles and other bits and bobs in. I tried to refuse it but she insisted I take it saying I’d helped them out over the years. A wonderful and thoughtful thing to do, picked me up and was a great help.

• Like 1

Got e-mail and txt from Virgin today.

From Monday 23rd all mobile customers getting unlimited minutes to UK landlines and mobiles and 03 numbers and an extra 10 gb of data for 1 month, with that to be reviewed at the end of the period (so possibly extended?)

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Might not seem much, but got an email from my gym today saying they'll pause payment until they reopen. I honestly hadn't even thought about. Was gonna let the first month fly and then pause it if it went on longer.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Got e-mail and txt from Virgin today.

From Monday 23rd all mobile customers getting unlimited minutes to UK landlines and mobiles and 03 numbers and an extra 10 gb of data for 1 month, with that to be reviewed at the end of the period (so possibly extended?)

Well done lads 👏

21 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-extraordinary-uk-effort-to-produce-thousands-more-ventilators-11961559

Gtech have switched their focus from vacuum cleaners and garden machinery to producing ventilators and have a prototype that they believe is very close to production.

"My understanding is that we could need 30,000 (ventilators)," its founder Nick Grey told Sky News.

is team of engineers has developed a prototype in their Worcestershire workshops which they presented to the government on Friday.

"I'm confident we can build them in a short time and in quite high volume… I'd estimate at a thousand a day," Mr Grey added.

"We think we have solved all the difficult bits, we are just making the last bits of a pneumatic timer now which hopefully will be ready in a few hours. If that works we can take all the electronics off it and it will just run on oxygen supply so it is very simple."

pneumatic timer ready within hours, absolutely fantastic. :appl:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

I'm just a driver for one of the parcel delivery companies (UPS, DPD, Fedex, DHL etc) and several people I delivered to on Saturday were thanking me for continuing to work to get them their orders (mainly flowers and gifts etc due to Mothers Day)

Perked me up no end

You forgot Royal Mail :dry:, but same.

Was out in the sticks today, delivering to farms. I heard a lamb bleating in a barn and the farmer said I could go in if I wanted. Three ewes with their new lambs, which the farmer said had just been born in the last hour. Great to see that life goes on.

Had a stay booked next month at one of the Village Hotels. Got an expected email to say our reservation is cancelled. 

Positively, though, they're keeping some hotels open for key worker groups which is good in times like this where they may need a place to stay... 

32 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Was quite cute earlier, the old folks living opposite us has their grandson and his gf over. And they were sitting in their front garden all 2 or 3 meters apart drinking wine and having a chat

went to see my nan with the family on mother’s day and did the same. went round the back so we didn’t touch anything inside, took our own camping chairs then sat on opposite sides of the back garden for a few hours.

crazy times.