Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Good Deeds & News (Corona)

On 27/03/2020 at 19:37, urban.spaceman said:

Thanks, I enjoyed that, filled my evening. I wanted to go and see it when it was on but like so many things I never got round to it. 

Available until Friday if anyone else is interested.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, theessexfox said:

One upshot is that my university have implemented a safety net policy for final year exams, meaning you can’t drop below your second year classification - providing I pass my (now online) exams - 50% of which is coursework - I will be graduating with a first! Not sure it makes up for missing the final term of uni and all of the celebrations but it takes a lot of pressure off and it’s one good outcome from an awful situation. Maybe only good news for me 😀

That’s good for the Uni and the students - 3rd year of courses is traditionally much harder than year 2 - everyone’s a winner!

• Like 2

Denise Frost-Wardle to Spotted Thurnby Bushby And Scraptoft

Hi this is Denise from 65 Main Street Bushby. My daughter in law is a staff nurse in the ITU dept at the Leicester Royal. The staff are having to shower and wash their hair after every shift to try and stop them transferring the virus home to their partners/children.
They are desperately short of travel sized shampoo conditioner body wash and body lotion as they can only be used once and thrown away

When I go on holiday I always bring toiletries back from the hotel and they sit in my cupboard and don’t get used.
I have donated all of these to the staff and wondered how many of you might do the same.
If you have any that can be donated it would be so appreciated by the staff.
If anyone has any you can either leave them on my doorstep or I will happily collect them from your doorstep.

Thank you in anticipation

Denise x

38 minutes ago, davieG said:

Denise Frost-Wardle to Spotted Thurnby Bushby And Scraptoft

Hi this is Denise from 65 Main Street Bushby. My daughter in law is a staff nurse in the ITU dept at the Leicester Royal. The staff are having to shower and wash their hair after every shift to try and stop them transferring the virus home to their partners/children.
They are desperately short of travel sized shampoo conditioner body wash and body lotion as they can only be used once and thrown away

When I go on holiday I always bring toiletries back from the hotel and they sit in my cupboard and don’t get used.
I have donated all of these to the staff and wondered how many of you might do the same.
If you have any that can be donated it would be so appreciated by the staff.
If anyone has any you can either leave them on my doorstep or I will happily collect them from your doorstep.

Thank you in anticipation

Denise x

On the way!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theessexfox said:

One upshot is that my university have implemented a safety net policy for final year exams, meaning you can’t drop below your second year classification - providing I pass my (now online) exams - 50% of which is coursework - I will be graduating with a first! Not sure it makes up for missing the final term of uni and all of the celebrations but it takes a lot of pressure off and it’s one good outcome from an awful situation. Maybe only good news for me 😀

That's great news! I am wondering what will happen with graduations this summer. I recently completed my PhD after 8 years of doing it part time alongside full time work - I found out I had passed my corrections just as we went down in lockdown. I am feeling a bit robbed of opportunity to celebrate at the moment! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rachhere said:

That's great news! I am wondering what will happen with graduations this summer. I recently completed my PhD after 8 years of doing it part time alongside full time work - I found out I had passed my corrections just as we went down in lockdown. I am feeling a bit robbed of opportunity to celebrate at the moment! 

Congratulations! I'm sure you will get your celebration - our uni is talking about postponed graduation ceremonies so hopefully we get a chance at some stage! Every year there is a week where there are lots of fancy balls and garden parties and stuff which is the highlight of the year, so we're all a bit gutted to be missing that, but obviously one glance at the news puts our hardship into perspective!

5 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Congratulations! I'm sure you will get your celebration - our uni is talking about postponed graduation ceremonies so hopefully we get a chance at some stage! Every year there is a week where there are lots of fancy balls and garden parties and stuff which is the highlight of the year, so we're all a bit gutted to be missing that, but obviously one glance at the news puts our hardship into perspective!

I think it's ok to be disappointed about missing out on things like that. 

I work at the uni I will be graduating from, and they haven't mention graduations yet in all the emails we have been receiving. Our graduations are quite early (start of July) and we have a lot of international students who will need advanced notice for booking flights and getting visas, so hard to see how they can plan for them with all the uncertainty at the moment. 

Fair play to that Joe Wicks/body coach fella for donating all the adverting revenue from his You Tube channel to the NHS (£80k so far)

Seems like a decent chap and the wife and kids like doing his 9.00 exercise thing every morning.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

I think it's ok to be disappointed about missing out on things like that. 

I work at the uni I will be graduating from, and they haven't mention graduations yet in all the emails we have been receiving. Our graduations are quite early (start of July) and we have a lot of international students who will need advanced notice for booking flights and getting visas, so hard to see how they can plan for them with all the uncertainty at the moment. 

Doesn’t really compare to the real problems out in the world at the minute does it?

People are dying, many are sick, thousands of not millions ha lost their jobs and can’t support their families, domestic violence is going through the roof with many locked down with their abusers, kids can’t go to school, and you can’t have your little party and get your pie Ce of paper? 
Come on, join the real world and get over yourself!

• Sad 1

My Village & quite a few around Rheinland pfalz.& Other regions.Germany

The Local Councils have Set up 3 times a Week Testing periods,for people who consider they have symptoms relevant to CV...

Local TV ,Radio and Village & Town Weekly/daily Papers informing the public of times and tel.nrs..

Is anything like this being done in UK..??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Doesn’t really compare to the real problems out in the world at the minute does it?

People are dying, many are sick, thousands of not millions ha lost their jobs and can’t support their families, domestic violence is going through the roof with many locked down with their abusers, kids can’t go to school, and you can’t have your little party and get your pie Ce of paper? 
Come on, join the real world and get over yourself!

You can always look and say that there are people worse off. What we are experiencing in developed countries at the moment doesn't even begin to compare to what will be experienced in developing countries that don't have the same level of health care or infrastructure that we do, and equally they could look at us and say we haven't got a clue. But to be honest having for the past 8 years worked a demanding full time job, then had to have the discipline to work my evenings and weekends (researching into an area which has actually had quite a significant impact on people's lives, so benefiting other people too), I think it's completely ok to be disappointed not to have half a day to celebrate that. In the same way people can be disappointed about missing out on holidays they worked overtime to afford or the opportunity to celebrate significant events like weddings. I am pretty confident that the vast majority of people on here will understand that as well... because without significant events like these, what is life even about in the first place?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rachhere said:

You can always look and say that there are people worse off. What we are experiencing in developed countries at the moment doesn't even begin to compare to what will be experienced in developing countries that don't have the same level of health care or infrastructure that we do, and equally they could look at us and say we haven't got a clue. But to be honest having for the past 8 years worked a demanding full time job, then had to have the discipline to work my evenings and weekends (researching into an area which has actually had quite a significant impact on people's lives, so benefiting other people too), I think it's completely ok to be disappointed not to have half a day to celebrate that. In the same way people can be disappointed about missing out on holidays they worked overtime to afford or the opportunity to celebrate significant events like weddings. I am pretty confident that the vast majority of people on here will understand that as well... because without significant events like these, what is life even about in the first place?

Seriously??

You honestly believe what you are writing?

You seriously need to leave that privileged little world of yours and grow up.

When this is all over you can have your precious party others won’t bring loved ones back, they won’t be able to replace all that is lost.

One day you will see what real sacrifice is and get some perspective.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think what you are trying to say that the most important thing will comedown to memories and missed time with loved one. Who out there wouldn't swap all their worldly goods for just five more minutes with someone they have lost. Many may be disappointed as this may be the last chance to make memories with loved ones.

19 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Seriously??

When this is all over you can have your precious party others won’t bring loved ones back, they won’t be able to replace all that is lost.

Bit OTT mate. 

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

:nigel:

Harsh

The post acknowledges that there are people much worse off than us, but it's understandable that people are disappointed to miss out on things they have planned. We plan these things because they make us happy, and we want to do them. I'm sure you have done some if the things mentioned during your life. It's very sad that people are dying from this, and it puts a holiday or a party being put on hold into perspective, but that doesn't mean you still can't be disappointed in missing out on those things.

You've always seems liked a level headed poster, but gotta say you come across as a right twat in that post.

Personally, I'm thinking that much anger isn't just about the matter at hand tbh.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Seriously??

Bit harsh there mate. Always read your posts as i think they are insightful but defo not that one. I missed my nans 90th and im gutted about that. People can be disappointed missing things they have worked hard for. Me and the mrs have had our holiday to Mexico cancelled. Am i gutted. Yeah you bet we both are.

44 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Seriously??

A40AA034-CCB8-464B-8067-47FA609EAC00.jpeg