Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

11 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

What is it then? 

I meant it in a way that it might put some people who won't do their own research into some obscure investment, into financial issues.

Not everyone is a Jordan Belford like you lot...like my mate BlueBrett said, I'll just feck off and leave you lot to it.

GLA👍🏾

Edited by Raj

23 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Vanguard now running at a 16% return, more than happy with that - got a 50/50 split between the 80% and 100% LifeStrategy Equity Fund. Expecting it will tail off at some point soon.  

What ROR would you be happy with? 

8 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

What ROR would you be happy with? 

Adj for inflation anything above 7% is good really isn’t it. Any gain is protected as it’s a S&S ISA. I’ve not got a personal savings allowance so the only way I can keep any growth is within an ISA tbh. Well obvs pension and other products but anything relatively liquid is limited 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raj said:

I meant it in a way that it might put some people who won't do their own research into some obscure investment, into financial issues.

Not everyone is a Jordan Belford like you lot...like my mate BlueBrett said, I'll just feck off and leave you lot to it.

GLA👍🏾

To be fair the most recent tip is telling people to sell of Mag 7. And anyone who is in on that will have their own opinion.

It should go without saying people should do their own DD on everything.

44 minutes ago, bmt said:

To be fair the most recent tip is telling people to sell of Mag 7. And anyone who is in on that will have their own opinion.

It should go without saying people should do their own DD on everything.

I only meant that, but was told to feck off and I was a W by the charming BlueBrett🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Some fairly scary numbers in here about what you need to live on in retirement:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68222807

This is scaremongering a bit, I'm a massive advocate for ploughing money into a pension due to the generous tax breaks, but unless you are a high earner, it's unrealistic you can put huge sums in a pot to meet articles like this. Traditionally people could up their contributions in their 50s when they were mortgage and kid free, not a chance for the average person now as they will still have a mortgage and kids will be still living with them deep into their 50/60s. 

I read the average pot at retirement was something like £60K which is frightening. 

If you're target is a big pot you either need to be on six figures, or senior in public service (consultant NHS etc) 

Edited by Tommy G

To say that a couple with gross income of £1,000 a week income and no mortgage is not "comfortable", is absurd.  For example, you can have less than that and still afford two weeks' holiday in Europe (especially as they can go off-peak). 

29 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

This is scaremongering a bit, I'm a massive advocate for ploughing money into a pension due to the generous tax breaks, but unless you are a high earner, it's unrealistic you can put huge sums in a pot to meet articles like this. Traditionally people could up their contributions in their 50s when they were mortgage and kid free, not a chance for the average person now as they will still have a mortgage and kids will be still living with them deep into their 50/60s. 

Surely even if there are grown-up kids living at home, the parents won't be supporting them?  They'll either have a job or else enough benefits to live on.  Mortgage payments are a valid point.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Surely even if there are grown-up kids living at home, the parents won't be supporting them?  They'll either have a job or else enough benefits to live on.  Mortgage payments are a valid point.

Do you really think the above happens in every case? Ideally they have a job, but the average graduate won't be able to get on the property ladder without help from mum and dad. There are plenty of parents supporting their kids financially well into their 20s.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Do you really think the above happens in every case? Ideally they have a job, but the average graduate won't be able to get on the property ladder without help from mum and dad. There are plenty of parents supporting their kids financially well into their 20s.

It won't happen in every case, but at the very least an adult child living with parents should be contributing to the household expenses - enough that it isn't a net cost to the parents.  

5 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

To say that a couple with gross income of £1,000 a week income and no mortgage is not "comfortable", is absurd.  For example, you can have less than that and still afford two weeks' holiday in Europe (especially as they can go off-peak). 

Is it saying that? It's a bit of a mess of numbers in fairness and the descriptive terms, like all these things, are subjective.

I'm on course to get the "average" pension pot quite a few years ahead of retirement but if I look at what that would actually buy me pension wise it's difficult to get excited

Is it saying that? It's a bit of a mess of numbers in fairness and the descriptive terms, like all these things, are subjective.

I'm on course to get the "average" pension pot quite a few years ahead of retirement but if I look at what that would actually buy me pension wise it's difficult to get excited

Can’t you do drawdown? 

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Can’t you do drawdown? 

Well, it will be an option but if I were retiring now on what I've got it would be VERY finely balanced; with the safe withdrawal rate being only between 4 and 5%, the certainty of an annuity has a certain appeal. If rates aren't bad when I get there and my pot is big enough I'd consider doing a bit of both

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

These numbers just don't compute with me, as a family we don't spend £30k a year, so why on earth would a single person need £31,000.... and "expectation to help grandchildren", well here is an idea, don't.

I know it's going to be a bit different for generation rent, but still. I know people at work earning £25k and making to rent and live a life. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

These numbers just don't compute with me, as a family we don't spend £30k a year, so why on earth would a single person need £31,000.... and "expectation to help grandchildren", well here is an idea, don't.

I know it's going to be a bit different for generation rent, but still. I know people at work earning £25k and making to rent and live a life. 

Numbers don’t compute with person on the internet. Let’s ignore the experts then. Where is the foxestalk science club, you literally have a study which is being ignorantly dismissed!! 

12 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Numbers don’t compute with person on the internet. Let’s ignore the experts then. Where is the foxestalk science club, you literally have a study which is being ignorantly dismissed!! 

Come back when it's actually a science being discussed. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Anyone who has had to support the financial cost of relatives in care realise the costs associate with old age.  Most of these figures arn't exclusively based on needing £30k a year to live mortage free and spend £2k p/m on Saga cruises.

As an example, as a family, we're all contributing to my Gran's care home cost at the delightful sum of £1,400 per week (the lower end cost home was £950).  For those lucky enough to be independent and slip away at night at home, significantly less annual income would be enough, but sadly we don't have the gift of knowing where and when we're going to die or the care we're going to need.  Retirement costs are far more than just getting your chip supper on the table every night.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Anyone who has had to support the financial cost of relatives in care realise the costs associate with old age.  Most of these figures arn't exclusively based on needing £30k a year to live mortage free and spend £2k p/m on Saga cruises.

As an example, as a family, we're all contributing to my Gran's care home cost at the delightful sum of £1,400 per week (the lower end cost home was £950).  For those lucky enough to be independent and slip away at night at home, significantly less annual income would be enough, but sadly we don't have the gift of knowing where and when we're going to die or the care we're going to need.  Retirement costs are far more than just getting your chip supper on the table every night.

But that's because you've chosen to use the non council ones surely. If your Gran had no money of her own, that's then down to social care to provide. So that's not a cost that HAS to be met by you or anyone else?

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But that's because you've chosen to use the non council ones surely. If your Gran had no money of her own, that's then down to social care to provide. So that's not a cost that HAS to be met by you or anyone else?

There was no availability at the council ones.