Jump to content
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

Recommended Posts

Anyone on here interested in finance and dabbles in investments? 

 

I've started over lockdown (on the premise of buying low to try and sell high) 

 

Seems a classic case of the more you learn, the less you know. But I'm starting to find it fascinating....to my surprise researching the galaxy of investment funds - strategies, ethics, performance, teams - has become more interesting than researching individual shares.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paninistickers said:

Anyone on here interested in finance and dabbles in investments? 

 

I've started over lockdown (on the premise of buying low to try and sell high) 

 

Seems a classic case of the more you learn, the less you know. But I'm starting to find it fascinating....to my surprise researching the galaxy of investment funds - strategies, ethics, performance, teams - has become more interesting than researching individual shares.

Well you sure started at the right time if you began early on in lockdown ! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started recently with Trading212, seems quite a good platform for those interested.

Made quite a bit investing in Shell and BP.

 

If anyone's interested I have a referral link which you can open an account and deposit £1 into and we both get a share worth up to £100 (Normally around £10 but still free money!). 

 

 www.trading212.com/invite/Fg32RrZ2

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Made a packet out of Rolls Royce and IAG shares over the last month. I'm holding off buying shares at the moment though as I suspect there will be a downturn in the stock market soon,  once firms release their Q2 results, and furlough stops, reality will set in. 

 

I use IG and City Index for trading, and x-o for a stocks and shares ISA as it's got cheap fees. Got a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown. Had no problems with any of them so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gold Coast Fox said:

I brought a five figure sum of Qantas airline shares during the peak of the crash. Up 27% so far! It was a great opportunity to buy. 
 

Yeah, I had a nibble at BA's mother company IAG. 44% up close of play Friday from my buy price

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

Made a packet out of Rolls Royce and IAG shares over the last month. I'm holding off buying shares at the moment though as I suspect there will be a downturn in the stock market soon,  once firms release their Q2 results, and furlough stops, reality will set in. 

 

I use IG and City Index for trading, and x-o for a stocks and shares ISA as it's got cheap fees. Got a SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown. Had no problems with any of them so far.

Yep, I'm on rolls Royce too. 

 

I'm expecting a dip again after this week's rally....but my strategy being even if they in 2 years recover to their previous lowest price pre Covid19, I should double my money

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paninistickers said:

Yep, I'm on rolls Royce too. 

 

I'm expecting a dip again after this week's rally....but my strategy being even if they in 2 years recover to their previous lowest price pre Covid19, I should double my money

Long term firms like RR and IAG will recover so now is a good time to buy. They will have a few lean years though and doubtful any dividends will get paid for years, so that will keep the price down for a while. All IMO of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a portfolio of index trackers plus 3 or 4 specialist funds to increase exposure to specific areas (technology, green energy and small cap companies) in an ISA. I use Hargreaves Lansdown which i wouldn't suggest newbies do, fees are higher than most but i didnt know any better when i started. 

 

Mrs has simple Vanguard Lifestrategy fund which i manage for her. 

 

Whilst many would say its fallacy, im keeping a decent amount in cash ready to invest as i expect stock markets to decline once covid impact is truly digested.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty98 said:

I've started recently with Trading212, seems quite a good platform for those interested.

Made quite a bit investing in Shell and BP.

 

If anyone's interested I have a referral link which you can open an account and deposit £1 into and we both get a share worth up to £100 (Normally around £10 but still free money!). 

 

 www.trading212.com/invite/Fg32RrZ2

 

 

Gave it a go so you should get a free share, I purchased some volatile shares for a bit of fun. Let's see what happens. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been tempted to as I have a decent chunk of savings sat in a (now) terrible savings account. Don't really know where to start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Gave it a go so you should get a free share, I purchased some volatile shares for a bit of fun. Let's see what happens. 

Awesome, thanks! I got a free share in Tilray, what did you get?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't dabble personally, as it looks like a bit of a minefield.

 

Like @martyn I use a management company - SJP (happy to recommend my advisor)!! 

 

You pay for it, but worth it in my view. FTSE MSCI world index down down 7% year to date...my guy down 1.7%. 2016 and 2019 were pretty good years with an average of 22% returns...2020 not so much :frusty:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matty98 said:

Awesome, thanks! I got a free share in Tilray, what did you get?

The same. Then I purchased some BP shares with my money. No real logic other than fuel seems to be increasing now more people are out and about. Don't know what I'm talking about though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think US shares is the way to go, last 10 years their big indices have just about tripled,

Uk Ftse I don't think is even in profit.(unless counting divs)

Edited by nnickn
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martyn said:

Got a portfolio of index trackers plus 3 or 4 specialist funds to increase exposure to specific areas (technology, green energy and small cap companies) in an ISA. I use Hargreaves Lansdown which i wouldn't suggest newbies do, fees are higher than most but i didnt know any better when i started. 

 

Mrs has simple Vanguard Lifestrategy fund which i manage for her. 

 

Whilst many would say its fallacy, im keeping a decent amount in cash ready to invest as i expect stock markets to decline once covid impact is truly digested.

Thanks. This is along the lines I'm heading.

 

I've started with Hargreaves Lansdown.... didn't know the charges were high bit for this ease of use and accessibility to amateurs like me, maybe they've earned it. 

 

The funds have grabbed my interest though, like yours. I want some exposure to tech shares, UK small companies and ethical/sustainable shares. I've enjoyed researching the teams, fund managers, their tactics and philosophy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Wealthify.

 

Stuck some money in in January and have it managed by them (there's various scales from cautious through to confident to ambitious). Took a big hit obviously when COVID struck but it's already recovered - I'd have thought it would be months, maybe even a year before I saw it pay off again but it seems to have got back to business properly now.

 

If anyone does want to use their services and opens up, deposits and leaves money in for 3 months minimum, then do so through this link:

https://invest.wealthify.com/refer/57489839

 

We both get £25 in to our 'plans' if that happens :D 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow the Fed and follow the two year US Treasury yield as this is the place the big boys put their money! When the price goes up and the yield (Current Yield=Annual Coupon Payment divided by Bond Price) goes down then bad times are ahead. Follow these rules and you will never go wrong. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been in shares since the British Gas sell off which feels like a hundred years ago..Ive lost a fecking fortune over the years!!!!!

Still...I've saved loads by not smoking!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Thanks. This is along the lines I'm heading.

 

I've started with Hargreaves Lansdown.... didn't know the charges were high bit for this ease of use and accessibility to amateurs like me, maybe they've earned it. 

 

The funds have grabbed my interest though, like yours. I want some exposure to tech shares, UK small companies and ethical/sustainable shares. I've enjoyed researching the teams, fund managers, their tactics and philosophy

Basically, my strategy was

 

1) Figure out risk tolerance (High as I'm still relatively young, so i'm 100% in Equities in my own ISA. Have about 15% bonds in my pension scheme)

2) Figure out Geographic split required (I'm about 45% USA, 17.5% UK, 10% Europe, 7.5% Japan, 15% Emerging Markets, 5% Developed Asia).

3) Figure out Large Cap split vs Mid/Small Cap (About 60/40)

4) Weight about 15-20% of portfolio to some specialist areas run by fund managers (Whilst also taking into account that the USA index already is quite heavily weighted to Tech, for example). 

 

And do all of the above in the cheapest way possible. The index trackers are about 0.06% + 0.45 % HL platform fee. If you just go down the tracker route, Vanguard is the cheapest vehicle.

 

I've stayed with HL as cost to transfer each fund i had was too expensive and i didn't want to sell out of my investments to move it more cheaply.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Benguin said:

First day of giving this ago. Somehow made 17%. I suspect beginner's luck

Reality sets in! The markets been open 90 minutes and the 17% is down to 0.7%. This might be too stressful for me. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I started having a play on trading 212 at the start of lockdown. Got on Tullow oil at 16p a share and it’s now worth 35.44p a share.

 

Really missed the boat with Chesapeake Energy, mid April it was $0.15 a share, now it is $69.44- mental rise. Some people would have made an absolute fortune. 
 

Put abit of money in Bahamas Potroleum, it’s got some promising signs with drilling to start at the end of the year and new area just off Uruguay recently purchased. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Messi said:

I started having a play on trading 212 at the start of lockdown. Got on Tullow oil at 16p a share and it’s now worth 35.44p a share.

 

Really missed the boat with Chesapeake Energy, mid April it was $0.15 a share, now it is $69.44- mental rise. Some people would have made an absolute fortune. 
 

Put abit of money in Bahamas Potroleum, it’s got some promising signs with drilling to start at the end of the year and new area just off Uruguay recently purchased. 

That is insane! Can you imagine putting even a couple hundred on that. 

 

I had a look at Bahamas, let's hope that goes from 3p to £30

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I work in investment, but don't have the funds to actively invest myself.  Be careful investing in individual companies! If you want a semi-safe return then go for index trackers, fairly safe bet for gains if you hold onto it over the next few years. 

 

Don't believe all these online twitter/instagram 'tipsters', there is a reason why IB's spend billions on research each year rather than following one of these guys. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...