Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

10 minutes ago, shailen said:

EQT has come back a bit today, think the fall was only natural as people take their profits but its got far to go still imo so I'm trying to avoid hitting the sell button. 

Yes. Everything I dropped yesterday I got back today. Going to sit tight for the next few months

• Like 1

Sorry for being a total idiot, but is there an app that I can use to get in to this and start making investments?

What does everyone use?

It's probably been asked loads in here, sorry.

Probably looking at putting in £100-£250 a month. Is that realistic?

Basically, I'm looking for 'an idiots guide' if someone wouldn't mind taking 5 minutes to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Edit...And what is a Stocks & Shares ISA? Do I need one of these? How does that work?

I'm clueless :blink:

Edited by tom27111

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Sorry for being a total idiot, but is there an app that I can use to get in to this and start making investments?

What does everyone use?

Basically, I'm looking for 'an idiots guide' if someone wouldn't mind taking 5 minutes to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Edit...And what is a Stocks & Shares ISA? Do I need one of these? How does that work?

What's your goal, chap? Saving for retirement or something in the nearer future?

If the former, pension is by far the best option because of the tax treatment - tax relief on contributions is basically free money. The downside - you cannot access the money until you're 55 (and this will increase to 57 before the decade's out). Are you self employed? Personal pension if so, and if you're employed your employer's workplace pension will probably be your best bet as they're usually very cheap.

An ISA is just a wrapper around an investment/investments that protects the profit from capital gains tax and some of the income from income tax. Allowances and exemptions on these taxes mean that an ISA doesn't give a huge advantage on smaller investments but as they don't usually add to the cost of holding an investment, there's no harm in using this option. The other advantage is that you can access your capital whenever you like, with the caveat that you shouldn't invest in anything that carries risk for a short term saving goal e.g. getting a house deposit together for next year, or whatever (good old cash savings for that).

The longer you can afford to invest for, the more risk you can take. Most of the things discussed on here are single company shares, which can deliver great returns in short spaces of time, but conversely they can do the opposite, so are only really suitable for people who are investing what they can afford to lose. For the less experienced/more cautious, collective funds ,(which can be held directly or in an ISA or pension) where the risk is spread between lots of different assets in a portfolio that you effectively buy shares in, are a much better bet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decided to have a small wager on British airline shares (EasyJet, Jet2, IAG). My educated gamble is that they’ll start to pick up over the course of 2021. Particularly easyJet and Jet2 as the holiday / short haul market is likely to have a lot of pent-up demand unlike long haul business travel. 

Edited by rn9013

9 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What does everyone use?

Thanks in advance!

If you want to let someone else manage it then I recommend wealthify. If you’d prefer to buy stocks yourself I recommend trading 212. They have an ISA option where you can deposit up to £20000 a year and any gains are tax free.

Now for the self promotion: here’s my link that gets us both a free share:

Create a Trading 212 Invest account using this link www.trading212.com/invite/Fz1tM33F and we both get a free share!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's your goal, chap? Saving for retirement or something in the nearer future?

If the former, pension is by far the best option because of the tax treatment - tax relief on contributions is basically free money. The downside - you cannot access the money until you're 55 (and this will increase to 57 before the decade's out). Are you self employed? Personal pension if so, and if you're employed your employer's workplace pension will probably be your best bet as they're usually very cheap.

An ISA is just a wrapper around an investment/investments that protects the profit from capital gains tax and some of the income from income tax. Allowances and exemptions on these taxes mean that an ISA doesn't give a huge advantage on smaller investments but as they don't usually add to the cost of holding an investment, there's no harm in using this option. The other advantage is that you can access your capital whenever you like, with the caveat that you shouldn't invest in anything that carries risk for a short term saving goal e.g. getting a house deposit together for next year, or whatever (good old cash savings for that).

The longer you can afford to invest for, the more risk you can take. Most of the things discussed on here are single company shares, which can deliver great returns in short spaces of time, but conversely they can do the opposite, so are only really suitable for people who are investing what they can afford to lose. For the less experienced/more cautious, collective funds ,(which can be held directly or in an ISA or pension) where the risk is spread between lots of different assets in a portfolio that you effectively buy shares in, are a much better bet

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I'm currently self employed, but genuinely have no idea what I'll be doing this time next year. Potentially, it could be anything!

I'm looking to invest long-term I guess. I'll keep my savings account, but put less in to that and more into the investments. 

An ISA sounds like it would be the way to go as I would like to be able to access my money if needed.

So if I got the ISA with Trading 212, I can buy and sell as I please and add money or withdraw whenever I want?

I've done it. I've committed lol

Started with 50 quid to ease my way in, just gone with a couple of financial staples to start me off whilst I play around and get used to the site.

Looking at putting about the same in each week and building a portfolio over time.

I've quit smoking, so I'm using the money I'm saving from that. If it goes up, bonus, if it doesn't, I'd have only spent it on fags anyway.

Thanks @Bellend Sebastian and @Benguin. Sorry, completely forgot to use your referral link :facepalm:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

I'm currently self employed, but genuinely have no idea what I'll be doing this time next year. Potentially, it could be anything!

I'm looking to invest long-term I guess. I'll keep my savings account, but put less in to that and more into the investments. 

An ISA sounds like it would be the way to go as I would like to be able to access my money if needed.

So if I got the ISA with Trading 212, I can buy and sell as I please and add money or withdraw whenever I want?

You can add and withdraw whenever you want but if you put £1000 in and then took it out and then put it back in, you would have used £2000 of your 20000 tax free isa allowance. 

any buying, selling of shares and capital gain within your ISA is fine and tax free. If you put £20,000 in and it went up to a million you wouldn’t get taxed a penny. 

• Thanks 1

I've gone a bit nuts on this since I signed up! 

I'm putting £100 in a week. 

Some sensible long term growth options and some gambles.

I'm on trading 212, set up a couple of pies that should give me a profit over time.

Also gambled on Vaxart, a company that is trying to make a covid vaccine in tablet form!

• Like 1

I’ve had a bit of a standard stock week. I sold out of GGP at a profit, their price then plummeted so felt fairly happy. With GGP money reinvested in XTR at 4.9p. It ballooned to 9p and then dropped to 4.1p. Has now climbed back to 5.1p so hoping for a more upward trajectory. UFO is currently losing me money and MSMN seems to be doing something but not sure what. Definitely glad I don’t check daily as those spikes would have panicked me

19 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

What the hell is going on there with GME?  I'm confused...

Citron borrowed some gamestop shares and sold them. Soon, it will have to buy them back. Citron is hoping to buy them back at a lower price, so they make money. WSB (a reddit subreddit for gambling on stock markets) is trying to buy all the available shares. When citron has to buy, there won’t be any cheap shares left. There will be very few expensive shares. But citron will have to buy, at any price. When all the expensive shares are gone, they will have to start buying the very expensive shares.

This is called a short squeeze, and can cause the price of a stock to skyrocket. That’s why WSB is still buying at 50 - they expect to be able to sell at 100.

I bought 900 worth at 97p a share. Up £400 already now lol

31 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Bought at 1.46, literally the highest it's been.  Thought it'd go to 2! Bye bye, fortunately was a flutter!

Just forget about them for now. This is all a gamble but if the short squeeze is successful that 150 quid could be £1500+

I deliberately stay fairly dumb about the minutiae - I use Vanguard, who offer stuff that requires a decision and little else. So far, doing nicely. I think if I tried to 'play the game' it wouldn't go well - happier to let someone who knows better than me to place my input.

• Like 1