Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

Investments, stocks, shares

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Hate to be boring but all you hep cats are paying into pensions, yes?

I spread mine, pension, cash savings, trackers, individual shares. 

Honestly thinking of not even arsing with the pension now they keep moving the goal posts. ie. Remember all that money you put in to retire at 55, yeah you might not get that until 57 now*

*And sure as shit it's going to go up again. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I spread mine, pension, cash savings, trackers, individual shares. 

Honestly thinking of not even arsing with the pension now they keep moving the goal posts. ie. Remember all that money you put in to retire at 55, yeah you might not get that until 57 now*

*And sure as shit it's going to go up again. 

The lack of short term access is a plus for me, all the other investments I've had I've always ended up cashing in, and not necessarily at brilliant times either.

I really asked because I work in that industry and there's still a lot of cynicism around pensions which I think is misplaced these days

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

The lack of short term access is a plus for me, all the other investments I've had I've always ended up cashing in, and not necessarily at brilliant times either.

I really asked because I work in that industry and there's still a lot of cynicism around pensions which I think is misplaced these days

So what would you say is the best investment these days. ? 

1 hour ago, jonthefox said:

So what would you say is the best investment these days. ? 

An actively managed portfolio of global collectives and a long time horizon.

Boring, but you can always buy your individual stocks in the hope of making a few quid in the short term, although I think unless you're extremely knowledgeable this is down to good fortune as much as anything. It can be fun though, of course

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm very good at not touching my cash so no worries there. I just despise the fact they can say save for pension, you can take it at 55... did we say 55, we meant 57, then perhaps 58. It's obviously a good investment if they don't dick around with it too much, I just don't trust any government to not dick with them.

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

An actively managed portfolio of global collectives and a long time horizon.

Boring, but you can always buy your individual stocks in the hope of making a few quid in the short term, although I think unless you're extremely knowledgeable this is down to good fortune as much as anything. It can be fun though, of course

I've tried playing individual stocks during the crash and got burnt, whilst all the trackers I went in are just plodding along nicely. If I could start all over again I'd just go with trackers. I wasted so much attempting to play individual stocks, I'd had some good wins to even it all out to be fair 

Edited by Babylon
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

I've tried playing individual stocks during the crash and got burnt, whilst all the trackers I went in are just plodding along nicely. If I could start all over again I'd just go with trackers. I wasted so much attempting to play individual stocks, I'd had some good wins to even it all out to be fair 

Exactly the same. My 3 funds have all had 3% - 7% increases. My Individual stocks have collectively lost 40%....and I thought I was buying at the bottom.of the market. 

I'm hanging on to them though. I bought them.on the basis that they'd bounce back once the world returns to (relative) normal in 1-3 years

6 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Exactly the same. My 3 funds have all had 3% - 7% increases. My Individual stocks have collectively lost 40%....and I thought I was buying at the bottom.of the market. 

I'm hanging on to them though. I bought them.on the basis that they'd bounce back once the world returns to (relative) normal in 1-3 years

Yeah exactly the same, I've lost money on most of them but not fussed as I think long term the good ones will outweigh the bad. 

Rathbone Global is a great fund. I’m 32% up over 18 months with this. Fundsmith was my number 1, but I’ve now split it with Rathbone as the performance is so good. 
Its difficult to work out due to timings etc, but Fundsmith is up above 25% over 18 months also. 

Both of these are incredible funds, performed brilliantly over recent years and were a game changer for me.

My mate who showed me these funds has become a millionaire backing these plus one other over the last five years. He’s got a decent job, but he makes more through his investments now it’s been built up with the growth. 

8FD63E8D-A574-44AD-936B-F4A64564B5EE.jpeg

Edited by Rob1742
  • Like 1

Fundmsith has had a great run, much like anything overweight in the USA Geographically and Technology as a sector. It's amplified with Fundsmith though as the holdings are so concentrated. Whether that performance continues, who knows.

I'd still recommend novice investors go with low cost index trackers on the lowest cost platform possible as a core, and then optionally have some satellite holdings to overweight in some areas you want to.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

Fundmsith has had a great run, much like anything overweight in the USA Geographically and Technology as a sector. It's amplified with Fundsmith though as the holdings are so concentrated. Whether that performance continues, who knows.

I'd still recommend novice investors go with low cost index trackers on the lowest cost platform possible as a core, and then optionally have some satellite holdings to overweight in some areas you want to.

People are saying Fundsmith will stop growing at some point, but those conversations have been going on for a few years now. In the meantime investors have seen growth of over 20% every year. 

I have other funds too that aren’t as volatile if the stock market dips, but I still keep over half in Fundsmith and Rathbone as growth is incredible.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

I take it we’re all absolutely rolling in it today 😍

Well I’m a beginner and had my first dabble early last week with a massive £550 on the US market.

They went up a dollar and fifty today each and I’ve got fifty of them which pays for the twenty odd quid it cost me to buy them and sticks me up to £50 in the green!

I pay peanuts into a couple of funds too - (ones that are free to pay in to as I’m only sticking in small amounts with spare cash) I’m just getting started and being cautious and trying to learn. 

I was was trying to pick non obvious things to invest in that I think will come good in the next couple of years that aren’t doing so well right now - any tips by PM appreciated!

🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick said:

Well I’m a beginner and had my first dabble early last week with a massive £550 on the US market.

They went up a dollar and fifty today each and I’ve got fifty of them which pays for the twenty odd quid it cost me to buy them and sticks me up to £50 in the green!

I pay peanuts into a couple of funds too - (ones that are free to pay in to as I’m only sticking in small amounts with spare cash) I’m just getting started and being cautious and trying to learn. 

I was was trying to pick non obvious things to invest in that I think will come good in the next couple of years that aren’t doing so well right now - any tips by PM appreciated!

🙂

Well I personally would do my own research and never take anything off a football forum. 
Most of my money got transferred to aerospace companies.
This was/is a gamble because they are the most likely companies to go under in my opinion having been the most affected by the virus. 
However if they survive there will be huge returns, as was proven yesterday when Rolls Royce was up 43.76%, IAG was up 25.48% and Tui was up 19.53%. (All aerospace companies were up, these are just the ones I’m invested in)
This was all down to just good news on a vaccine, when there actually is one and there is a lot more flying hours Im hoping for some more significant growth on the investments. 
All gains could be lost if there is some bad vaccine news today for example, it’ll be a very volatile sector until air travel resumes properly but up to now the gamble has seriously paid off for me personally. 

Edited by Ginger_Filbert
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Well I personally would do my own research and never take anything off a football forum. 
Most of my money got transferred to aerospace companies.
This was/is a gamble because they are the most likely companies to go under in my opinion having been the most affected by the virus. 
However if they survive there will be huge returns, as was proven yesterday when Rolls Royce was up 43.76%, IAG was up 25.48% and Tui was up 19.53%. (All aerospace companies were up, these are just the ones I’m invested in)
This was all down to just good news on a vaccine, when there actually is one and there is a lot more flying hours Im hoping for some more significant growth on the investments. 
All gains could be lost if there is some bad vaccine news today for example, it’ll be a very volatile sector until air travel resumes properly but up to now the gamble has seriously paid off for me personally. 

Yesterday's rises only offset a heavy drop in RR and IAG for me. 

I'm about 15% down now from my buy price in April. Its been as low recently as 60% down (mainly thro rolls and IAG doing a new issue of shares for capital, thus devaluing the rest) 

My three managed funds are chugging along nicely. £500 made yesterday alone and overall 11% up since opening in April

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yesterday's rises only offset a heavy drop in RR and IAG for me. 

I'm about 15% down now from my buy price in April. Its been as low recently as 60% down (mainly thro rolls and IAG doing a new issue of shares for capital, thus devaluing the rest) 

My three managed funds are chugging along nicely. £500 made yesterday alone and overall 11% up since opening in April

I got on Rolls Royce about a month ago at £1.23 to make the most of the share rights issue. 
That entitled me to around 3000 shares at 32p which are currently worth £1.09. 
IAG I got on after their share rights issue at 93p a share. 
Tui I got on at £2.99. 
Just need to prices to hold now 😂

16 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

I got on Rolls Royce about a month ago at £1.23 to make the most of the share rights issue. 
That entitled me to around 3000 shares at 32p which are currently worth £1.09. 
IAG I got on after their share rights issue at 93p a share. 
Tui I got on at £2.99. 
Just need to prices to hold now 😂

Still expect them to be up and down for a while yet. My worry with BA is that business travel will take a major hit post pandemic. 

The days of flying over to New York for a routine meeting are over

I am fortunate that I am able to save. 

We've maxed out my wife's 401K and IRA for each of the last 4 years, we've also been able to put funds into VTSAX, and individual shares.

The 401k is largely Fidelity's VTSAX equivalent, with some small cap and international allocations.

Because we have a steady base in VTSAX I've been able to make some more risky bets on some biotechs (ATHX and GERN mostly). I lost a load on GERN, but confident it will come back. ATHX has a great pipeline, and hoping in the next 6 months that will pop.

I cashed out of ENPH too early at about $20, it's now $122, I bought in at $5. Patience is key. I am learning that!

We shifted to some other renewables, SNPWR, NIO and NEE. We are well up on those, especially with the Biden bump yesterday.

I am not into day trading or going short - seems too risky with my own money.

• Like 1

I’m hoping Fastly shoot up over the next few months, they provide content for tiktok which has been hammered because of trumps assault on Chinese tech. They’ve been as high as $1.35 recently but are currently $0.75. So I’ve put a monkey on them hoping for a decent return by the spring.