Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Pearson sacked...

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Imagine having the attention span and capacity to contribute to a thread about Nigel Pearson and be looking forward to a huge game tomorrow. Madness. 

haha you just contributed to the Nigel Oearson thread the day before a huge game!

Most of you simply don’t ( maybe can’t? ) understand my position. 

Yes, he generally did well for this club. Not perfect but a good base to build from. Let’s be honest though we were a good club with a few quid and should never have found ourselves in league one. But yes, he did a good job for us overall. 

here’s the points you simply cannot get your heads around. I’ll make them this one more time and please try to understand them. If you cannot, then remove yourself from your echo chamber and go and watch some other football and educate yourselves and come back to it

1) he has failed in pretty much every other managerial spell. Some of you have tried to frame his Derby spell as something other than failure. ( and yet criticise a manager who has us 5th in the PL !!!)

2) his non footballing manner and behaviour have at times been disgusting and brought disrepute on the club. 

3) he should never return to this club. I imagine we agree on this since those of us who actually think about it realise he’d be disastrous for us. Those of you who idolise the man are concerned that the legacy of the best football manager ( who was simply been unlucky in all his other failed adventures) might ruin his sparkling legacy. 

it’s now time to agree to disagree. I see him as a deeply flawed character but accept he achieved success here ( but arguably nowhere else), you all see something in him that I don’t, many football club boards don’t, neutrals don’t and that’s the stats simply don’t support. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's a great manager to have for a club that wants to rebuild.

His first spell with us almost resulted in two back to back promotions which would have been a major ocerachievement with the squad we had.

His second spell, he had to move on some of the sh*t signed here under Sven and build a team to get promoted which we did in style. 

But he did struggle in the great escape season and whilst he did turn it around, I'd wonder where we'd be if we had kept him as manager. Ranieri did two key things imo when he was here, play Vardy as a number 9 and give Mahrez license to almost have a free role. Under Pearson, Vardy was playing as a winger on the left with Ulloa or Nugent preferred up front and Mahrez was also playing like an orthodox winger on the right with defensive responsibilities. Whilst the recruitment under NP and his team was incredible, I think these two changes were key to the good things we did in the seasons after. 

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Yes, he generally did well for this club. Not perfect but a good base to build from. Let’s be honest though we were a good club with a few quid and should never have found ourselves in league one. But yes, he did a good job for us overall. 

here’s the points you simply cannot get your heads around. I’ll make them this one more time and please try to understand them. If you cannot, then remove yourself from your echo chamber and go and watch some other football and educate yourselves and come back to it

1) he has failed in pretty much every other managerial spell. Some of you have tried to frame his Derby spell as something other than failure. ( and yet criticise a manager who has us 5th in the PL !!!)

2) his non footballing manner and behaviour have at times been disgusting and brought disrepute on the club. 

3) he should never return to this club. I imagine we agree on this since those of us who actually think about it realise he’d be disastrous for us. Those of you who idolise the man are concerned that the legacy of the best football manager ( who was simply been unlucky in all his other failed adventures) might ruin his sparkling legacy. 

it’s now time to agree to disagree. I see him as a deeply flawed character but accept he achieved success here ( but arguably nowhere else), you all see something in him that I don’t, many football club boards don’t, neutrals don’t and that’s the stats simply don’t support. 

I agree with this. Seems a pleasant enough bloke but certainly has some tendency to err towards Aspergers Syndrome or such like. 
He is the David Brent of football management.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm just not in your cosy little Leicester /NP echo chamber. Living outside of the area and talking with other intelligent football (non-Leicester) fans can really widen your horizons.

There's a whole world out there!

Imagine replying to someone called @ealingfox and telling them how intelligent you and your friends are cos you don’t live in Leicester 😂😂

Completely sums up the intelligence of the anti Pearson squad.

Edited by NeilLCFC
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

You keep coming back to his spell at Derby. He was at Derby for just 14 games. He wasn’t given the chance to build his own squad. The statistics show that in the almost 300 games managing Leicester City (3 fifths of ALL games he has managed in his career) NP had a win ratio of nearly 50%. His career at Leicester wasn’t ‘good’ it was outstanding. 

Time has passed and he won’t be coming back to Leicester - we have BR and we are in 5th place in the premier league but that doesn’t change the status of NP as one of the best managers we’ve have in modern times. And the stats back me up on this btw. 

Ive highlighted in bold in your comment the mantra that you need to say to yourself about your own future learning. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

If this post was supposed to change people's opinion of Pearson dream on. Being completely condescending and making points that make no sense very rarely have that effect .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Pretty much spot on

But don’t forget football fans are a funny bunch. There are some on here for whom Pearson literally go do no wrong. They simply ride over the fact he clearly has anger management issues and did some great things here AND some very bizarre things

This phenomenon reminds me of the Pro Trump rally’s in America. A kind of cult hero worship whereby ANY argument toward his (many) deficits are hit with a staunch inability to accept reality.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I was determined to be brief, but something went wrong. Sorry...

If the crux of the argument is that he has had a mixed career away from Leicester, had his ups and downs with us too, and probably isn't the right 'next man in line', then that's absolutely fair.

Where there's imbalance is in language like 'he generally did well'. To take any club up two divisions and keep them there, even when amply funded, is more than just 'generally' alright. It's not exceptional in the modern era because others have done the same, often with less resources at their command, but it's enough to give more than your very lukewarm credit.

However, there are a few important caveats. Firstly, there were no guarantees that we'd bounce back in 2008/09. Most clubs that go down don't instantly bounce back, and that also goes for well-resourced clubs. He did, and made a profit on his dealings in the marketplace, then subsequently led us to the play-offs. This was an excellent achievement and almost certainly key to King Power's interest. And it's not as if the squad he inherited was good enough to achieve this - signings like Hobbs and Dyer were critical, and outlasted most of those who were in situ when he arrived.

This alone represents more than just 'generally' okay. His second, better-funded, spell in charge was also highly impressive by most standards, in that he took us up and kept us up. Yes, again, you would have expected us to compete for promotion and preferably survive upon achieving it, but that's still a case of a guy doing precisely what he was brought in to do.

The part that puts him up there with our finest ever managers, however, is that nobody could have expected that he'd assemble a side which went on and won the league just one year later. Our triumph was astonishing not because the likes of Vardy, Kante, Mahrez got their hands on a league trophy. You might expect players of their quality to do that. What's astonishing is that we assembled those players - plus Fuchs, Huth, Albrighton, Okazaki, Morgan, Simpson, Drinkwater - on a relative shoestring. Pearson and his team did that. That really is extraordinary unless, of course, you buy the notion that it was a fluke, a perfect storm, and not at all to do with the fact that we deserved to win the league in 2016.

Your language dramatically and deliberately understates how good a job he did with us. The one historical event which makes our club stand out owes an immense amount to Pearson. If we're looking at the key interventions which turned our third tier club into league winners in the space of eight years, then his would be up there with Vichai's, Vardy's, Morgan's, Ranieri's and so on. For that alone, he deserves immense praise from any Leicester fan.

Apart from that, there's imbalance when you say he's 'failed in pretty much every other' job, or been 'awful in most of them'. Most of the games he's managed were with us, of course, so that accounts for the lion's share of his career. But what you're saying here is very misleading. Of his other jobs we have unspectacular success - but success nonetheless - at Carlisle, Southampton and even Hull. And I think few would argue that he truly failed at Watford either, regardless of what happens to them today. By 'majority' of his jobs, you're actually focusing on Leuven and Derby, which were hardly drawn-out debacles either. That's not 'most' of his other jobs.

Of course, you can apply the 'not so amazing elsewhere' principle to most of our other 'great' managers too - be it Hodge, Gillies or Bloomfield. Even O'Neill is debatable. It didn't stop them being fantastic for us.

Finally, emphasising the degree to which he brought the club into disrepute as a counter-balance to his success is where things get seriously lopsided. Partly because you could say that about Ferguson, Mourinho and Clough (all of which were prone to outbursts, and in some cases violence, throughout their careers). Whether or not the media likes someone - or neutral fans who don't know enough about Leicester to see that Ranieri didn't simply wave a magic wand and bestow excellence upon us - shouldn't cause much distress to a Leicester fan who is reflecting on their club's great journey.

I hope that the day will come when people can accept the overwhelming evidence that he did a tremendous job for us, if only so it isn't necessary to roll out the same old defence of his achievements.

• Like 1