Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Pearson sacked...

Guest Fktf
4 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

You don't like him that's fine, I do, so we'll never find middle ground and you won't with anyone else who likes him because you'll undermine all his achievements and double down on all his failures. I love the guy but I can see where he's clearly made bad decisions in his career, managerial and otherwise, but I can also see that he is an absolute God for Leicester City because he dragged us out of league one and set us up for our greatest ever achievement. Do I think Pearson would have won the Premier league with us? 99% not, would we have won the Premier league without him being our previous manager and putting in place what he did? 110% not. And that's what it boils down to for me, he set everything in motion, he not only dragged us from our lowest ebb but he laid in place our greatest ever achievement. I just don't get people who hate him, it's bloody bizarre imo. 

Very, very true. Even if we attribute the premier league win to others input, the bloke still won League 1, the Championship, and kept us in the premier league first season up after over a decade of not being there. People can think we reached the end of a useful relationship with Nige all they want, but hating a man that's achieved all that with us is...well, you said it... Bizarre.

19 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Not sure where your confidence comes from here unless you consider 11th (having been relegated from PL) with Hull and leaving Derby with them 20th in the Championship is considered a 'decent job'.

Maybe we have different definitions of success, but I'd consider league position to be a fairly objective barometer and anyone who thinks that Hull and Derby teams should have been as low as 11 and 20 needs to give their head a wobble.

That Hull side was a mess, he was brought in to stable the ship which he did and is why he didnt get the boot. Derby was a failure, but it's not exactly been a club  where managers thrive anyway and he had what, 3 months in the job?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fktf said:

Very, very true. Even if we attribute the premier league win to others input, the bloke still won League 1, the Championship, and kept us in the premier league first season up after over a decade of not being there. People can think we reached the end of a useful relationship with Nige all they want, but hating a man that's achieved all that with us is...well, you said it... Bizarre.

The 'haters' are martians basically (or from another planet further away than our neighbouring one), not humans with a brain!!  

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah, much better to just choose to give credit for the good bits and excuses for the bad bits.

He did positive things for this club overall; but I don't understand the bloody Messiah complex some of you have.

I am able to take a balanced view; he did well here but has been awful in most other jobs. You prefer to ignore all the negatives as he's your precious NP. Both are absolutely fine, but if you can't see that one is partisan and flawed, then there's no point me discussing it any further with you. (But I do think you're a bit old for the posters on the wall)

Have a great weekend.

He told someone to FOAD.

He’s not the messiah! He's a very naughty boy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah, much better to just choose to give credit for the good bits and excuses for the bad bits.

He did positive things for this club overall; but I don't understand the bloody Messiah complex some of you have.

I am able to take a balanced view; he did well here but has been awful in most other jobs. You prefer to ignore all the negatives as he's your precious NP. Both are absolutely fine, but if you can't see that one is partisan and flawed, then there's no point me discussing it any further with you. (But I do think you're a bit old for the posters on the wall)

Have a great weekend.

Ah yes, your view is not partisan and flawed, which is why you've tried to spin his work at Hull as a bad job when that clearly wasn't the case lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Ah yes, your view is not partisan and flawed, which is why you've tried to spin his work at Hull as a bad job when that clearly wasn't the case lol

I'm just not in your cosy little Leicester /NP echo chamber. Living outside of the area and talking with other intelligent football (non-Leicester) fans can really widen your horizons.

There's a whole world out there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm just not in your cosy little Leicester /NP echo chamber. Living outside of the area and talking with other intelligent football (non-Leicester) fans can really widen your horizons.

There's a whole world out there!

I think the name @ealingfox is a clue to the location of the said poster. :thumbup:

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I like pearson the fella.  He showed that you can succeed with hardworking players and dont need big time Charlie's.  His down side was his stubbornness and his inability to change things within a game.  Good man manager ... out whittled in the pl. Even in the championship we always struggled against the more savvy managers.

Pearson is a manager who can do alot with a little (like dyche).  He would have done well at watford. It's there loss. I like the club not the owners. Their fans deserve better.

Nigel is right to stand up for what he believes in... but he does seem to lose it with people.  Maybe he is happier not having a job rather than being pushed around.  I have no idea if with hind sight he regrets losing  the leicester job... or the derby job...or the Watford job.

I thought he would go to Middlesbrough last time it was free. He will be hired by other pl clubs twisting to avoid relegation.

He is not a long term pl manager.

Could still end up at boro if warnock doesn't want it full time.

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Have a great weekend.

Your ‘balanced’ view comes across as somewhat unbalanced anti-Pearson Tbh. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

4 hours ago, Guest said:

It truly will be a great day when he inevitably comes back to manage us again. Nigel Pearson's blue and white army

messiah, noun, a promised and expected deliverer.

The Orthodox Jews in my neighborhood also strike me as odd.  But at least they have their sights set higher than a football coach.

5 hours ago, Guest said:

It truly will be a great day when he inevitably comes back to manage us again. Nigel Pearson's blue and white army

Nigel did a great deal for us as a club. No one can deny that. He helped put a structure in place to enable us to move forwards and laid the foundations for future success. 

He’ll get employed against for bottom end teams to save them from relegation. If he gets a more long term job, it’ll be at a club like Burnley etc, that grind out results. I don’t see him as tactically savvy enough to outsmart the more experienced managers like Ancelotti, Mourinho, Klopp etc (also one of Brendans failings). 

He doesn’t have the personality that engages with the media either. 

I hope he never comes back, as I don’t want to be in a relegation dog fight. I hope our next Manager, should / when it happens is an upgrade on what we currently have. 

Also, people don’t hate him, I think they hate the concept that some people hail

him as the saviour and should be given a free pass to return. The fact that this is so divisive, should give you an opinion on where he’s at as a Manager. He’s not had the success elsewhere and was a disaster in Belgium. Ultimately, he did a solid job for us, however we had times of abject underperformance as well, that history sweeps under the carpet. Many clubs would have sacked him prior to the great escape. 

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Have a great weekend.

You're entitled to your view, of course, but some of what you say is a little unbalanced.

Away from Leicester he kept Carlisle up. It was unspectacular but he did what he was brought in to do. Southampton - he kept them up (at our expense) and most were shocked that his contract wasn't renewed. Hull - again it was unspectacular, but he restructured a club in a mess and did enough for us to want to go back for him. At Derby it's almost impossible to judge (can we truly evaluate Sousa at Leicester based on such a limited time?). At Leuven, he began brilliantly and faded, but many of the players he brought in went on to do better a year later.

And at Watford the turnaround was impressive. He took over a club in a position where relegation seemed inevitable, improved their form to 12th on ppg in the time he was there, pulled them out of the bottom three, and got six points from his last 3 or 4 games in spite of the West Ham debacle. The football was turgid, but I think it needed to be.

As for Leicester, when we talk about our greatest manager we have a bunch of contenders. At risk of telling people what they already know, it's worth reminding ourselves how Pearson compares to them:

There's Hodge, considered great for restructuring the club and, over seven years, taking it up and just about keeping it up for the first time in its history. His team went on to finish 2nd with a different boss, and he later came back to keep them up again.

Orr, for inheriting Hodge's side and achieving four top ten finishes, including 2nd and 3rd. At the time, my grandfather would have told you, he was considered a significant downgrade on Hodge who was very much the side's 'architect'.

Gillies, for keeping a side up, leading it to two FA Cup Final and one League Cup Final defeat, as well as winning the League Cup during an extended top flight spell. We were on our way down when he left, of course.

Bloomfield, for playing beautiful football and achieving a couple of top-half finishes over a six year spell.

O'Neill, for taking us up and, in a much more competitive era, keeping us in the top half of the EPL for four years, winning two League Cups and making another final along the way, even if there wasn't much of a legacy after his exit.

Pearson, for taking us up two divisions, keeping us up, and assembling a side which would win the title a year later - not only our greatest achievement, but one of football's greatest given how inexpensive those players were.

And of course Ranieri, who was the man who actually won that title.

I'm not of the school that gives Pearson the credit for Ranieri's success. But you have to see his central role in our club's defining moment, just like you have to see Hodge's role in our 1920s success, or even Clough's role in Dave Mackay's success at Derby. And when you look at the contenders for our greatest ever boss, Pearson's achievements - while not rewarded with silverware - are among the finest. There's a strong argument, even, that they're the most important in our history.

As another poster rightly said, we probably wouldn't have won the EPL if Pearson had stayed in charge. But we'd definitely never have won it if he hadn't turned up in the first place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

Nigel did a great deal for us as a club. No one can deny that. He helped put a structure in place to enable us to move forwards and laid the foundations for future success. 

He’ll get employed against for bottom end teams to save them from relegation. If he gets a more long term job, it’ll be at a club like Burnley etc, that grind out results. I don’t see him as tactically savvy enough to outsmart the more experienced managers like Ancelotti, Mourinho, Klopp etc (also one of Brendans failings). 

He doesn’t have the personality that engages with the media either. 

I hope he never comes back, as I don’t want to be in a relegation dog fight. I hope our next Manager, should / when it happens is an upgrade on what we currently have. 

Also, people don’t hate him, I think they hate the concept that some people hail

him as the saviour and should be given a free pass to return. The fact that this is so divisive, should give you an opinion on where he’s at as a Manager. He’s not had the success elsewhere and was a disaster in Belgium. Ultimately, he did a solid job for us, however we had times of abject underperformance as well, that history sweeps under the carpet. Many clubs would have sacked him prior to the great escape. 

I have to say that I couldn't care less how much the media like our managers. They loved Taylor, who nearly destroyed the club, and hated Pearson who reinvigorated it and left it a year short of the EPL title. Leicester fans more than any other should treat media hype with caution.

I'm not gunning for his return either, but I see no reason to believe it would prompt a relegation dogfight.  At Leicester he initially struggled with a newly promoted side, as many do, but by the end of the season we were one of the best sides in the EPL, and of course that continued into the next season and led to us winning a title. With Watford, even if the football was pretty industrial, his form would have seen them mid-table if extended over a full season (and you say he's not tactically savvy enough to outwit Klopp... but that actually happened, didn't it? He's the manager who, in one game, delivered the most comprehensive outwitting of Klopp that we've seen all season!).

Surely all of this points towards him being, potentially, a pretty capable EPL manager.

When you're dealing with figures who achieved a lot, history doesn't tend to focus on the bumps in the road along the way. It's the good that people do which stands out, rather than all of the dreary details in between. Is Olivier remembered for 'Richard III', or for 'Inchon'?

And in football, can we seriously counterbalance Ferguson's success with the fact that he was damn lucky to still be in a job because he'd been crap for his first two years in charge? Is O'Neill the guy who took us up and won two League Cups, or is he a guy who nearly got fired for taking over a side in 3rd place and suffering relegation form for the first three months of his job? Or the guy who also suffered relegation form for extended periods in early 1997 and in the 98/99 season? Or the guy who left behind a side (much like Hodge, Gillies and Bloomfield did) which would soon be relegated?

I just don't think we can look back on the past in this way, it's far, far too 'glass half empty'. But even if we do choose to, Pearson's shortcomings, hiccups and rocky spells are still dwarfed by the immensity of his achievements.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Have a great weekend.

Growing up with Levein, Holloway, Martin Allen and Rob Kelly, I think it's completely understandable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Your ‘balanced’ view comes across as somewhat unbalanced anti-Pearson Tbh. 

Tell me the unbalanced part.

He's succeeded here. He's done okay but unremarkably in my view at Carlisle and his stint at Southampton.

He's failed everywhere else. Lots of you are making excuses ie 'but HULL are rubbish or but DERBY are rubbish,' well, he was their manager and he took the jobs! I've spared you the absolute car crash of his tenure at Leuven! Failure is failure. 

I don't see my few as unbalanced at all. I don't even think he's a terrible manager, but the fact that after he's shown his mental instability, failure to ever adapt, tactical rigidity and his notorious, inexcusable long barren runs, its absolutely embarrassing that some of you lot yearn for his return when we are 5th in the PL!

If that's unbalanced then yeah, I'm unbalanced. Rather be that than a fanboy zealot who ignores the facts though! But hey, he all make our choices. I go for reason and the evidence I see. You go for the Pearson/Leicester love-in narrative. Fine. Let's agree to disagree.

Just now, tickler28 said:

Can someone tell me why an ex manager from 5 years ago who has since managed Derby, OH Leuven and Watford gets a thread in the Leicester City Forum? Surely this should go In the general football chat section?

Is that a serious question? Might have something to do with the fact that he is a Leicester icon and an absolute hero.

• Like 3

Just now, Unabomber said:

Is that a serious question? Might have something to do with the fact that he is a Leicester icon and an absolute hero.

Leicester icon? Absolute hero? Steady on there.....Ranieri is an absolute hero and icon....as is Vardy and Morgan but Pearson does not deserve that accolade in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1