Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Pearson sacked...

Rodgers and Pearson aren't even in the same universe coaching wise. Rodgers is an absolute genius in this aspect. Pearson had a good rapport with the players and instilled a good work ethic, but it wasn't all plain sailing. 

A hybrid of the 2 would be one hell of a manager, but the one we have now is far far superior to Nigel Pearson. Imo.

• Like 3

It's a generational thing with Pearson IMO. I wouldn't say i love or hate him but i respect him hugely.

I do however love MON because he was the manager that bought our club success in the days I went home and away each week, so I'll always have more of an affinity to him.

When Pearson was first our manager, I was in and out of hospital with illness and we'd just had kids so football wasn't a priority for me then, therefore I was never as invested in the club and Pearson as I was in the MON days.

If Rodgers stays here a while and is successful, then there will be posters on here in their late teens/early twenties who'll probably look back at him as their hero. And there's probably older posters on here who still see Jimmy Bloomfield as their hero cos he was manager when they were in their prime as a supporter.

It's just the way it is. No one's right or wrong, it just depends on the timing and your individual circumstances during your own lifelong career as a Leicester fan.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I can agree that Pearson getting us out of the third tier at the first attempt was the springboard, absolutely crucial. However, we were destined to get out of the Championship into the Premier League with or without Pearson. Vichai and King Power would have settled for nothing less. 

The championship is so tricky to get out of though. I feel some people have forgotten how hard we found it to get out and all the heartbreak on the way. Nothing was certain. Also without Pearson we might never of been seen as a good enough prospect for king power to take over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Is that a serious question? Might have something to do with the fact that he is a Leicester icon and an absolute hero.

I get all of this, but this is an opinion, not a fact. Don't get me wrong, I have a huge amount of time for NP, and I have no desire to get into a fight with anyone over this, but people will disagree over a former manager. As indeed they do the current manager.

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I can agree that Pearson getting us out of the third tier at the first attempt was the springboard, absolutely crucial. However, we were destined to get out of the Championship into the Premier League with or without Pearson. Vichai and King Power would have settled for nothing less. 

Vichai & King Power came in after Pearson had hurled us out of League 1 and straight into the Championship Play-offs. No Nige, no guarantee we'd have made it out of League 1 at the second attempt let alone first with Milan Manderic.

So when King Power were looking at Clubs in 2010, Leicester City were an exciting Championship team, largely put together by Nige. They might've not seen the same potential in us and gone for another Club.

3 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Vichai & King Power came in after Pearson had hurled us out of League 1 and straight into the Championship Play-offs. No Nige, no guarantee we'd have made it out of League 1 at the second attempt let alone first with Milan Manderic.

So when King Power were looking at Clubs in 2010, Leicester City were an exciting Championship team, largely put together by Nige. They might've not seen the same potential in us and gone for another Club.

If Manderic hadn't sacked Pearson and brought in Paulo Sousa then perhaps King Power wouldn't have bought the club. Bringing him back after the disaster that was Sven was obviously a good move but if he failed then another would have been brought in. The club were never going to remain in the Championship. 

15 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

The year is 2030......Leicester have consistently been a top 6/7 team in the Premier League and have been managed by Tuchel since Rodgers left in 2025 following Leicester winning the FA Cup and coming runners up in the League. 

Since being unceremoniously sacked by Watford Pearson has gone on to manage Huddersfield but suffered relegation in 2023 and was later sacked for publicly bad mouthing the chairman and Notts County in League 2 who sit 2 points above the drop zone.

Foxestalk meanwhile - Can we get Pearson back for a third time please

Yep. That’s just about the size of it.

22 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

The year is 2030......Leicester have consistently been a top 6/7 team in the Premier League and have been managed by Tuchel since Rodgers left in 2025 following Leicester winning the FA Cup and coming runners up in the League. 

Since being unceremoniously sacked by Watford Pearson has gone on to manage Huddersfield but suffered relegation in 2023 and was later sacked for publicly bad mouthing the chairman and Notts County in League 2 who sit 2 points above the drop zone.

Foxestalk meanwhile - Can we get Pearson back for a third time please

No, you've got it all wrong. Leicester win the title again in 2022 & 2023 & 2024 plus the Champion's League twice and the FA Cup twice. Brendan is given the freedom of the City, meanwhile Pearson has retired to the Outer Hebrides contemplating on what might have been if it hadn't been for his lad. Then we all woke up!!

1 hour ago, The People's Hero said:

Tell me the unbalanced part.

He's succeeded here. He's done okay but unremarkably in my view at Carlisle and his stint at Southampton.

He's failed everywhere else. Lots of you are making excuses ie 'but HULL are rubbish or but DERBY are rubbish,' well, he was their manager and he took the jobs! I've spared you the absolute car crash of his tenure at Leuven! Failure is failure. 

I don't see my few as unbalanced at all. I don't even think he's a terrible manager, but the fact that after he's shown his mental instability, failure to ever adapt, tactical rigidity and his notorious, inexcusable long barren runs, its absolutely embarrassing that some of you lot yearn for his return when we are 5th in the PL!

If that's unbalanced then yeah, I'm unbalanced. Rather be that than a fanboy zealot who ignores the facts though! But hey, he all make our choices. I go for reason and the evidence I see. You go for the Pearson/Leicester love-in narrative. Fine. Let's agree to disagree.

I don’t yearn for his return but he is without doubt one of the best managers we have had in modern times. He didn’t fail at derby, he fell out with the owner. His sacking was a non footballing decision. He didn’t fail at Hull, he rejoined us before he had a chance to see that project through because Leicester were the better prospect. He did fail at Leuven I’ll accept that. That doesn’t change the outstanding job he did at Leicester. 

I only pick you up because you hide behind your belief that you have a balanced view and yet you absolutely don’t! Your description of his ability ‘I don’t even think he’s a terrible manager’ (damned with feint praise), your suggestion that he has mental instability, your suggestion that people who rate him are ‘fanboy zealots.’ This all goes against your balanced view standpoint. There’s no need to agree to disagree, you don’t like Pearson and that’s fine, but you’re certainly not unbiased and balanced. Quite the opposite. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I don’t yearn for his return but he is without doubt one of the best managers we have had in modern times. He didn’t fail at derby, he fell out with the owner. His sacking was a non footballing decision. He didn’t fail at Hull, he rejoined us before he had a chance to see that project through because Leicester were the better prospect. He did fail at Leuven I’ll accept that. That doesn’t change the outstanding job he did at Leicester. 

I only pick you up because you hide behind your belief that you have a balanced view and yet you absolutely don’t! Your description of his ability ‘I don’t even think he’s a terrible manager’ (damned with feint praise), your suggestion that he has mental instability, your suggestion that people who rate him are ‘fanboy zealots.’ This all goes against your balanced view standpoint. There’s no need to agree to disagree, you don’t like Pearson and that’s fine, but you’re certainly not unbiased and balanced. Quite the opposite. 

Here's a question for you then.. do you think he'd have been suspended and then sacked/mutually consented out if Derby weren't 20th and IIRC within not many points of rock bottom?

Would you concede that his performance as manager probably did feed in to the parting of ways and that we probably can describe that reign as a failure?

If not then I simply give up and you win, he's brilliant and everything bad that happens to clubs he manages is definitely nothing to do with him. No siree!

8 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah, much better to just choose to give credit for the good bits and excuses for the bad bits.

He did positive things for this club overall; but I don't understand the bloody Messiah complex some of you have.

I am able to take a balanced view; he did well here but has been awful in most other jobs. You prefer to ignore all the negatives as he's your precious NP. Both are absolutely fine, but if you can't see that one is partisan and flawed, then there's no point me discussing it any further with you. (But I do think you're a bit old for the posters on the wall)

Have a great weekend.

He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.

53 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Here's a question for you then.. do you think he'd have been suspended and then sacked/mutually consented out if Derby weren't 20th and IIRC within not many points of rock bottom?

Would you concede that his performance as manager probably did feed in to the parting of ways and that we probably can describe that reign as a failure?

If not then I simply give up and you win, he's brilliant and everything bad that happens to clubs he manages is definitely nothing to do with him. No siree!

He wasn’t successful in a short spell at Derby. Fact. He did an excellent prolonged job at Leicester. Fact. You aren’t offering a balanced view of him as a manager. Fact. 

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Pearson managerial career is quite weird. He did well for us over 2 spells (6 years) but ever since he left he has not had a stable job and he's been sacked several times. Maybe he should choose his next job carefully and not just jump on anything. I'm sure there are clubs in the Championship who would take him, or even big clubs in League One like Ipswich or Sunderland or Portsmouth 

For me, his rightful success because he was one part of a very complimentary team of three. When he went it's alone it showed up his inadequacies as it did with Shakespeare. Walsh also by all accounts when left on his own at Everton didn't cover himself in glory. We were very fortunate to have the three of them when we did.

I really thought that Pearson and Shakespeare were well and truly back at Watford and indeed, the results they achieved game them a good chance of avoiding relegation. What happened there despite rumours remains a mystery but the owners do sound more than a little fickle. My overriding feeling though is that I feel very sorry that they didn't succeed. 

• Like 2

Guest Fktf
8 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Which is why they sacked sven. Because we really weren't destined for the premier until Pearson came back. Sure, someone else might have gotten us up, but they didn't - it was Pearson. This sort of hypothetical doesn't diminish achievements. It's like saying we might have won the prem with a different manager, so whats the point in loving ranieri so much.