Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

On 01/02/2021 at 02:12, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I feel OHL needs to start building from the back!!!

Need to start playing with a back 3/5 with Wing Backs in order to try to control the games. We have far too many shoot outs and we are second in all of them and falling away rapidly. This is a league where we can be top 4, with a better strategy. We seem to want to release the ball over the top but we need accuracy and at present we can't find our men too often. This team looks ideally made to play on the counter because at present we struggle to cope with the end to end games we are playing right now.

Sowah, Mercier and Henry are a very good strike trio and needs to be utilised in a different way.

That's exactly how we played today. We also played like this in the beginning of the season, which resulted in a lot of wins.

Our problems started when we started playing in a 4-3-3.

Hopefully we keep this formation for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

To be fair, we didn't do that badly in the first half. Defensively we looked very good apart from two moments with individual errors. But in possession, we weren't doing well. Second half was a lot better, and I do feel that if we would have made it 0-2, the game would've been finished. Still, a good point in a usually tough away game so I'm having no complaints.

In regards to Sowah's performance, he's still struggling in possession, mainly because he's getting the ball in positions where Mercier should have it instead. Sowah is the off the ball runner, not the one who will create the chances. That said, I think his defensive side and his work rate today were both very impressive. It's not just about what you do with the ball. 

• Like 3

Results and standings after week 26:

Excel Moeskroen 0-3 KV Kortrijk
KV Oostende 3-1 STVV
Cercle Brugge 0-1 KV Mechelen
Waasland-Beveren 0-2 Club Brugge
Standard 1-1 OH Leuven
Beerschot 1-2 Antwerp
Charleroi 1-1 Zulte Waregem
KRC Genk 1-2 Anderlecht
KAA Gent 2-2 KAS Eupen

P   Team PTS GP W L D GF GA GD
1   Club Brugge  60 26 19 4 3 55 18 37
2   Antwerp  46 26 14 8 4 43 35 8
3   KRC Genk  43 26 12 7 7 50 35 15
4   Anderlecht  41 26 10 5 11 36 27 9
5   KV Oostende  39 26 11 9 6 39 34 5
6   Standard  39 26 10 7 9 37 30 7
7   Charleroi  38 26 11 10 5 39 35 4
8   Beerschot  37 26 11 11 4 47 50 -3
9   OH Leuven  37 26 10 9 7 41 42 -1
10   KV Mechelen  36 26 10 10 6 39 42 -3
11   Zulte Waregem  34 26 10 12 4 39 46 -7
12   KAA Gent  33 26 9 11 6 36 33 3
13   KV Kortrijk  33 26 9 11 6 32 37 -5
14   KAS Eupen  32 26 7 8 11 32 42 -10
15   STVV  30 26 8 12 6 34 40 -6
16   Excel Moeskroen  26 26 6 12 8 23 37 -14
17   Cercle Brugge  22 26 7 18 1 30 45 -15
18   Waasland-Beveren  21 26 5 15 6 32 56 -24

Fixtures for week 27:

Friday Feb 12th:

OH Leuven - KV Kortrijk

Saturday Feb 13th:

Waasland-Beveren - KAS Eupen
STVV - Zulte Waregem
KV Oostende - KRC Genk

Sunday Feb 14th:

Standard - Antwerp
Beerschot - KV Mechelen
Charleroi - Club Brugge
Cercle Brugge - Anderlecht

Monday Feb 15th:

KAA Gent - Excel Moeskroen
  • Like 1

Still everything to play for, looking up. We won't be going back down, that's for sure now. There's no way Cercle is getting 15/24, and there is no way we're picking up 0/24 either.

Next week could be a huge boost, if we win. And the final two games of the season are against Cercle and Waasland-Beveren, so that might also be a huge factor. 

3 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Still everything to play for, looking up. We won't be going back down, that's for sure now. There's no way Cercle is getting 15/24, and there is no way we're picking up 0/24 either.

Next week could be a huge boost, if we win. And the final two games of the season are against Cercle and Waasland-Beveren, so that might also be a huge factor. 

when does your season end?

Edited by Webbo

10 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Crucial game against Kortrijk in my opinion.

If we really want to finish in the top 8 and qualify for the playoffs, this is a must-win game. If we lose I think it's over.

The January signings linked to Leicester seem to be an absolute waste of time. Is there a discord between the directors and manager? Benkovic will be seething. 

Sowah needs a strong end to the season, first half of the season I imagine the club were planning on him coming here in the summer and being part of the 1st team but he seems to be struggling a little at the minute? 1 goal and 1 assist this year.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The January signings linked to Leicester seem to be an absolute waste of time. Is there a discord between the directors and manager? Benkovic will be seething. 

Sowah needs a strong end to the season, first half of the season I imagine the club were planning on him coming here in the summer and being part of the 1st team but he seems to be struggling a little at the minute? 1 goal and 1 assist this year.

Been explained before. There's still roughly 3 months to play this season and because of the very hectic January schedule, the team had pretty much zero tactical and game approach training, which in turn makes it a lot harder for the new signings to integrate into the squad. 

1 hour ago, shen said:

Based on that evidence, you'd better pray Romo doesn't get injured. That first goal is embarrassing.

I'm fairly sure that if something happens to Romo, Ravet will be the one who replaces him and not Kawin. It's fairly clear by now that his transfer was just a big marketing stunt and that he's not even close the standard required to play even the second division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KlaaZ said:

I'm fairly sure that if something happens to Romo, Ravet will be the one who replaces him and not Kawin. It's fairly clear by now that his transfer was just a big marketing stunt and that he's not even close the standard required to play even the second division. 

I couldn't agree more!!!

I get the impression, as an uninformed observer, that Mark Brys doesn't want the Leicester players he's been given. As if he's saying "I pick the team, I didn't ask for these players, so I'm not playing them". Which is fair enough, a manager has got to manage.

I don't think we can read too much into Benkovic's non appearance. This'll be the 3rd club in a row he's barely touched the ball for.

30 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I get the impression, as an uninformed observer, that Mark Brys doesn't want the Leicester players he's been given. As if he's saying "I pick the team, I didn't ask for these players, so I'm not playing them". Which is fair enough, a manager has got to manage.

I don't think we can read too much into Benkovic's non appearance. This'll be the 3rd club in a row he's barely touched the ball for.

If that were the case, he wouldn't be playing Sowah though. Who, despite his poor run of form in January, was still one of the first names in the lineup. :)

Brys is known for rotating very little and sticking with his first eleven whenever possible. He was the same at his previous clubs. I think that's really all there is to it. 

• Thanks 1