Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bonanza

The OH Leuven Thread 2020/21

3 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

What's happened to Benkovic? He hasn't played at all has he?

Let's just ask that question after EVERY OHL game lol 

That said, it is a little odd that neither he nor King are featuring on the bench. They really should have the quality to be subs. Especially King's experience from three different leagues, international football, relegation & championship winning teams would be useful in a team that's experiencing a league for the first time in a long time.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, shen said:

Let's just ask that question after EVERY OHL game lol 

That said, it is a little odd that neither he nor King are featuring on the bench. They really should have the quality to be subs. Especially King's experience from three different leagues, international football, relegation & championship winning teams would be useful in a team that's experiencing a league for the first time in a long time.

At the risk of sounding like one of the Turkish posters moaning about Under.

not having them on the bench is pure arrogance on behalf of the OHL coach surely they are better than squad players who were playing in the Belgium 2nd teir last season? 

16 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

not having them on the bench is pure arrogance on behalf of the OHL coach surely they are better than squad players who were playing in the Belgium 2nd teir last season? 

obviously not

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Well we don't know the reasons of the coaching staff. King was on the serious decline before he left us and truth be told, he was no more than a squad player in the PL at best. He failed to become a regular in any of his loan spells, so maybe his level just isn't high enough any more. He was never a player that relied much on his physicality or pace, so one would imagine his game wouldn't decline as much relative to others.

With Benkovic, injuries and other things has completely derailed his career. With such a long period out, I can understand that OHL are taking the time to bed him in. It's another new country, another set of teammates and maybe another blow to his self-esteem with what can be perceived as another step down the ladder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OadbyBlue said:

If manager after manager and club after club aren’t keen on Benkovic, it’s quite telling. Must’ve regressed from his Celtic season maybe due to his injuries 

Problem is he needs a run of games to get match and physically fit but the teams he’s been on loan with and it would apply to any team can’t afford the risk or the luxury of giving him that time.

We’re back to needing a reserve team / league again where he get what he needs without serious risk.

Just now, davieG said:

Problem is he needs a run of games to get match and physically fit but the teams he’s been on loan with and it would apply to any team can’t afford the risk or the luxury of giving him that time.

We’re back to needing a reserve team / league again where he get what he needs without serious risk.

Benkovic has played for the U23s before and Simpson played tonight. No reason why he can't play a few times to build up his fitness.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Benkovic has played for the U23s before and Simpson played tonight. No reason why he can't play a few times to build up his fitness.

Sure but it’s becoming quite rare now because we have so many u23 players to pick from that need the experience. I’d suggest Simpson is only there because we’ve put a few in the 1st team due to injuries.

You could argue that a fair proportion of the 1st team squad would benefit from a few games maybe we’d have less injuries from playing unfit (match) players.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

I don't think match fitness is the big issue with Benkovic. I suspect it's the mental knocks he has received as a result of all his injuries and inability to get back to his former level. If he was injury-free and motivated, he would walk into that OHL defence - but only if he showed similar quality as before.

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Look, I love Kingy as much as any player in our history and want him to get his career back on track for his last few years as a pro, but he's barely kicked a ball for two years. He doesn't get to walk into any squad without earning it in training.

I see this move as more of one to get him match fit and able to attract the attention of a club back on this side of the channel. Very tricky to acheive in the Covid times, and so undoubtedly there's been a bit of an olive branch from our ownership to give a leg-up to one of our greatest servants. Had he not taken this chance I'd have no doubt we would have seen him playing with the U23s at Seagrave by now, as Danny Simpson has done on one or two occasions.

I do believe when (or if) he gets game time, he will flourish, but the OHL midfield has played some good stuff this season, especially on the front foot and wing play - the service to Henry has been excellent which is why he's currently second in the goalscoring chart. Generally speaking Maertens and Hubert have earned the spot King would have on merit, and are interchanged, which means he's third choice.

Benkovic is a stranger one. Something doesn't add up given he repeatedly seems to be frozen out on loan moves. This OHL stint seems to mirror the Bristol City one.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, davieG said:

...if it was just a run of games then a run in the U23s would suffice surely!!!

The last time I saw him in the U23s he looked like he was happier if he was playing on his own. 

There is something going on in his head making him risk averse and he is the only one that can sort it out. The first thing he has to admit he has a problem,  the longer that takes the further down the league he will travel.

At his best he is Premiership quality.

Edited by sacreblueits442

I absolutely hate that I’m suggesting this but Henry genuinely looks like he would be a solid addition for us. If he carries on this form I could see us making an offer at some point.  ( I have no doubt our owners would be fair) If we don’t go for him I’m sure another prem side might.

Hard to ignore someone with 23 goal contributions in 24 games 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Pure speculation of course but it’s beginning to look to me like these deals were thrust upon their manager ‘ from above’ and he might be trying to make a point as to who is picking the team.

that being said, he’s every right to make a point as he’s doing a very good job of picking the team!

In  Their first game, a friendly, being 5-0 down at half time won’t help them but it WAS anderlecht.. bit harsh throwing them at the deep end so hope they are not judged by it but They need games. It’s the only way to get your sharpness back... however unless they have the league title wrapped up  with 10 games to spare the manager has every right to keep faith with those that have got them where they are.

Edited by MPH

44 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I absolutely hate that I’m suggesting this but Henry genuinely looks like he would be a solid addition for us. If he carries on this form I could see us making an offer at some point.  ( I have no doubt our owners would be fair) If we don’t go for him I’m sure another prem side might.

The only way I’d feel comfortable signing him is if HE came to the conclusion that it was time for him to move on...  I would much prefer him to come to us instead of another European club...don’t know if he could be a nailed on starter straight away especially ahead of Vardy  but I’d much prefer him coming off the bench instead of Perez or Nacho. Decent with his feet yet looks really good with his head too. He’s be a really good addition.

5 hours ago, MPH said:

Pure speculation of course but it’s beginning to look to me like these deals were thrust upon their manager ‘ from above’ and he might be trying to make a point as to who is picking the team.

that being said, he’s every right to make a point as he’s doing a very good job of picking the team!

In  Their first game, a friendly, being 5-0 down at half time won’t help them but it WAS anderlecht.. bit harsh throwing them at the deep end so hope they are not judged by it but They need games. It’s the only way to get your sharpness back... however unless they have the league title wrapped up  with 10 games to spare the manager has every right to keep faith with those that have got them where they are.

For the record, it was B-teams on both sides with first team players that needed match fitness + youngsters. I realise that people may still be wowed by the name Anderlecht but in reality they are only two points ahead of us in the league and we got 4/6 against them there. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benkovic at least partly at fault for first two goals, King losing possession up to the third goal. But Benkovic literally putting his body on the line preventing two further goals. Eppiah looks lively in those clips, while Vekemans and Allermeersch probably need some shooting lessons >_<

Edited by shen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, shen said:

Benkovic at least partly at fault for first two goals, King losing possession up to the third goal. But Benkovic literally putting his body on the line preventing two further goals. Eppiah looks lively in those clips, while Vekemans and Allermeersch probably need some shooting lessons >_<

What's this? Reserve game or something?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Friendly for both teams to get some match fitness for first team players not making the lineup. :)

Thanks :) I google translated that word on the video.... probably helped make some decisions about players not getting games lol 

7 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

His record before OH Leuven is underwhelming although weren't some big sides interested in him in January?

43 minutes ago, shen said:

That is hands down the worst goalkeeping display I have ever seen lol

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

That is hands down the worst goalkeeping display I have ever seen lol

One poor pass for the second goal and some suspect handling, but that's nowhere near the worst goalkeeping display. With the limited angles, it's difficult to see if he should've done better with the first goal, but can't really blame him for third, fourth or fifth goals :dunno:

2 minutes ago, shen said:

One poor pass for the second goal and some suspect handling, but that's nowhere near the worst goalkeeping display. With the limited angles, it's difficult to see if he should've done better with the first goal, but can't really blame him for third, fourth or fifth goals :dunno:

His reaction and where the ball ends up tells me he should have saved the first. The 2nd as you say, terrible. He then gives away a penalty for the 5th. And this all looks like it's in the first half lol Shambles.