Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jeffschlupp

The 25 Man Squad

I was working this out earlier, but must have missed a player or two as I still had some spare slots! Gray is the most obvious person to move on from that list, so potentially a replacement winger to come. If we are still looking at signing any other new players I am guessing they are going to look at players under the age of 21 who are good enough to be pushing for the first team and can bypass the development squad - ideally a lone striker who can understudy Vards.    

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

Any more signings?

I find it difficult to see there being room for any more signings - there are hardly any players in the group of 25 I would expect to leave. The only standout candidate to depart would be Demarai Gray, whose spot could be taken in both competitions by any player, foreign or otherwise. That would allow the club to recruit a fourth and surely final signing.

I hadn't realized how full we were -- all of this talk of "5 new signings" must be a bit off -- unless we shift Gray. Of course, it's possible a threat of being left off the 25-man squad was used to get him to find a new club.

With the two club-developed slots open, we could see a weird development: Two over-21 members of the U23s being available for Europa League, but not the Premier League (helpful on those trips to Astana.)

But looking at that list, I can't see Knight or Dewsbury-Hall not going out on loan. Can't see them staying for U23 games just so they might get a dead rubber EL game.

3 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I hadn't realized how full we were -- all of this talk of "5 new signings" must be a bit off -- unless we shift Gray. Of course, it's possible a threat of being left off the 25-man squad was used to get him to find a new club.

With the two club-developed slots open, we could see a weird development: Two over-21 members of the U23s being available for Europa League, but not the Premier League (helpful on those trips to Astana.)

But looking at that list, I can't see Knight or Dewsbury-Hall not going out on loan. Can't see them staying for U23 games just so they might get a dead rubber EL game.

I think seeing he has already played in the Caraboa the signs are that we will keep KDH, and then Luke Thomas will be our fourth? Luke can also play in PL matches as well as he won't need to be listed in the 25 man squad. 

If you can’t meet the “4” required you just have to leave two Gaps. KDH and Thomas don’t have to be registered at all but can still play due to their age. 

I’d imagine with Fofana coming it it might be more the likes of Fuchs and Morgan that wouldn’t be selected for Europe to help meet the criteria. 
The above poster mentioned Jakupovic missing out for Europe but I think you have to have 3 keepers? 

just goes to show that when people on here start spouting off about how small, or lacking in depth our squad is they really have not thought it through. Ok we all thought that Papy was leaving, and maybe big Dan Amartey might be sold on but as it is we have no room at the inn. If we were to sell Gray and replace with someone from abroad we would then be down to our minimum required "home grown" contingent of eight. If we let Choudhary go we are even shorter for European competition as that would leave Barnes as the sole senior squad member qualifying as club trained now we have let Chilwell go. 

If we want to seriously become a contender to compete in European competitions we really do need to step up production from our academy. I am certain that was also part of the grand plan when investing in the new training ground. It also goes a log way to understanding why clubs can charge a premiuim for english players and why the likes of Chelsea stockpile all the youngsters they can get their hands on, even if they do not play them.

16 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Wouldn’t Iheanacho be “Association Trained” as he was at the Manchester City academy (and played for their U19 side) from age 18? 

I thought that too, but if you look at previous PL 25 man squads he is not listed with a home grown asterisk next to his name. Might've just missed the cut-off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I’d imagine with Fofana coming it it might be more the likes of Fuchs and Morgan that wouldn’t be selected for Europe to help meet the criteria. 
The above poster mentioned Jakupovic missing out for Europe but I think you have to have 3 keepers? 

Believe the three GKs thing is a Football Manager rule. Will check the EL handbook later to make sure. They could name Bosworth or Stolarczyk anyway.

If Thomas stays then Fuchs would be an obvious one to miss out instead, though.

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

just goes to show that when people on here start spouting off about how small, or lacking in depth our squad is they really have not thought it through. Ok we all thought that Papy was leaving, and maybe big Dan Amartey might be sold on but as it is we have no room at the inn. If we were to sell Gray and replace with someone from abroad we would then be down to our minimum required "home grown" contingent of eight. If we let Choudhary go we are even shorter for European competition as that would leave Barnes as the sole senior squad member qualifying as club trained now we have let Chilwell go. 

If we want to seriously become a contender to compete in European competitions we really do need to step up production from our academy. I am certain that was also part of the grand plan when investing in the new training ground. It also goes a log way to understanding why clubs can charge a premiuim for english players and why the likes of Chelsea stockpile all the youngsters they can get their hands on, even if they do not play them.

Deepening quality and meeting the requirements are not mutually exclusive. We were looking at a transfer prospect such as Tarkowski, and if we moved Hamza he could be replaced by someone like McGregor. Meanwhile, Gray can still be moved on without affecting the requirements.

5 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Amartey and Gray the two that would be likely to be taken out for any further new signings I would imagine.

Doubt Amartey is going anywhere - Rodgers quotes from Sunday:

“Most definitely (he will be a part of the squad). We still need to strengthen because it’s a long season and if you pick up an injury or two, all of a sudden you’re bare. That’s probably what disrupted us towards the end of last season.

“We want to have quality on the field and quality on the outside ready to come in.”

Evans, Fofana, Soyuncu, Amartey, Morgan, Fuchs. Six for three positions, with Amartey and Fuchs flexible enough to play full-back in a 4.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Deepening quality and meeting the requirements are not mutually exclusive. We were looking at a transfer prospect such as Tarkowski, and if we moved Hamza he could be replaced by someone like McGregor. Meanwhile, Gray can still be moved on without affecting the requirements.

Of course not but only if we replace like with like. The point here is we simply cannot keep raiding foreign clubs and need to be aware of the rules which are there to encourage clubs to bring their own talent through. Even with Hamza we are two short for EL unless we put a couple of kids in, which we would be unlikely to play. Let’s assume Ndidi was not injured who would we leave out? The two Most obvious would the senior statesmen such as Morgan or Fuchs, one of which of course is “homegrown” .

All I am saying is that we need to be savvy in our future recruitment and make sure our academy is doing its job in bringing young talent through 

1 minute ago, urban fox said:

Of course not but only if we replace like with like. The point here is we simply cannot keep raiding foreign clubs and need to be aware of the rules which are there to encourage clubs to bring their own talent through. Even with Hamza we are two short for EL unless we put a couple of kids in, which we would be unlikely to play. Let’s assume Ndidi was not injured who would we leave out? The two Most obvious would the senior statesmen such as Morgan or Fuchs, one of which of course is “homegrown” .

All I am saying is that we need to be savvy in our future recruitment and make sure our academy is doing its job in bringing young talent through 

Agreed. But we can register 23 for EL without much consequences. 

18 hours ago, AjcW said:

If you can’t meet the “4” required you just have to leave two Gaps. KDH and Thomas don’t have to be registered at all but can still play due to their age

True for Thomas but not sure it's the same for KDH as he's a fair bit older at 22?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AjcW said:

Just checked the handbook on this: 

"Each club must include at least two goalkeepers on List A and at least three in total (List A and List B combined).

I believe Stolarczyk counts, if he doesn't then Bosworth does.

This list doesn't really leave a lot of room for movement in January, either. Assuming no more incomings and Gray goes, and KDH and Knight are away on loan, that's two potential inbound in January, without some exits -- but those two couldn't be on the Europa League squad, without pushing others out. Of course, we could bring in U21s, but they still couldn't be registered as List B in Europa League. (Not saying it's necessary for people being brought in, but signing for a club playing European football, but not being allowed to play European football has got to be irksome.)

If Thomas steps up over the next 3 months, I could possibly see Fuchs moving to America, if he can get an offer, but MLS has been pretty screwed over by COVID (although I could see us paying out his contract -- it would only be six months). We aren't going to push out Morgan 6 months early ... Albrighton (18 months on is contract, so might make a little and he could probably still play every week for some teams), Iheanacho, Pérez (if he gets displaced by Under) and/or Hamza I guess would be the most likely if Rodgers wants to strengthen in January, barring unfortunate injuries creating spots.

8 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Is it today we submit prem and europa Squads? Be interesting to see who is left out and then we have a week or so to loan them to championship if need be! 

Presume as the domestic window is still open there cant be a need to name a squad now.

There's surely half a chance that someone like josh King, Brooks etc still end up at a PL club.

7 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Is it today we submit prem and europa Squads? Be interesting to see who is left out and then we have a week or so to loan them to championship if need be! 

Not sure how this works tbh, as we can still sign players from EFL clubs until 16th October.

I'm sure someone will be able to clarify.