Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Working during coronavirus

Been working from home  since mid march. I work in IT and my wife is a teacher so neither of us have been hit by the pandemic.

One of my brothers has been hit hard so ive been helping financially and will not take a penny back.  One less stress for him to worry about.

We feel incredibly sorry for those who are without and try to support our local businesses by buying takeaways, tipping and shopping locally where possible. We spoke today about making some donations to local organizations that help the less fortunate during these times and will do so. I encourage those who have been as/more fortunate than us to also make any donations to those who could use the help.  Whether thats £, free labour or whatever take care of your communities! If you already have.....well, good on you and keep it up!

For those going through tough times i pray things turn around soon. Bless you all and stay safe!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

People actually spend 1k on a Waitrose shop? 

Which store? Big fan of the KX Waitrose, the one at Bloomsbury is alright but not so keen on the Marylebone one. Think they're the only properly central ones?

The one at White City isn't great, Gloucester Rd is good, Finchley Rd is okay, Angel, Barbican and Brent Cross all crap. 

And all the ones in Leicestershire are rubbish although think there's only two left now.

Just in case anyone wanted my reviews of Waitrose stores.

Oadby, Lutterworth and Mountsorrel I can think of, must be a couple more I would have thought.

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

People actually spend 1k on a Waitrose shop? 

Which store? Big fan of the KX Waitrose, the one at Bloomsbury is alright but not so keen on the Marylebone one. Think they're the only properly central ones?

The one at White City isn't great, Gloucester Rd is good, Finchley Rd is okay, Angel, Barbican and Brent Cross all crap. 

And all the ones in Leicestershire are rubbish although think there's only two left now.

Just in case anyone wanted my reviews of Waitrose stores.

A good friend of mine is a Regional Director for Waitrose, in charge of their London stores.

I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback to him :D

• Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 22:01, Leicester_Loyal said:

I work in the public sector and I've probably been one of the luckiest out of all of this Covid bollocks.

My job is pretty safe (or so it seems) and the lockdown is the best time for us to do our work, plenty of overtime available (I've done more than 40 overtime shifts since the start of March) and on average I've probably done 50+ hours a week since March, it's hugely helped me build up a massive house deposit.

My employer has been good as well, got us masks and other PPE if we want it, but as we work outside it's not really needed to be honest.

Genuinely feel for a lot of you lot, keep your heads up and something better will come along:thumbup:

You a nurse buddy?

The lockdown was an odd experience for me.   I used to work as a social worker for one of London boroughs but verbally informed them that I would be leaving for another local authority in East Midlands just prior to the lockdown.    However the new job wanted to delay my starting date as my team were redeployed to other teams and they felt it would not be productive to throw me in at the deep end without my team.     This has resulted in me staying at my old job until August as I have not handed in a written notice and I spent that time WFH in Bilsthorpe due to my wife's shielding and better WFH/life balance conditions at her family's home.  Felt as I was in limbo inbetween leaving a job and starting a new job during the lockdown-  I did not enjoy the fleeting feeling that I have ditched my team and moved up even before my new job have started.

Since starting at the new local authority,   I come in once every three days  (now cut to a weekly basis on a voluntary basis)  and have started making home visits (only with risk assessments completed and signed off by my line manager)  with PPE in September which is still ongoing at the moment.   

Edited by The Blur

My working life has not changed one bit. But then I work in the NHS, the only change is I now have to wear a face mask and visor/goggles all the time. I also can’t have lunch/breaks with my colleagues in the staff room! 

I work overseas in oil and gas, my boss gave me the option of staying and working or going home, everyone who went home went on furlough. I got given an extra 50% for staying, so paid our house off. I was already away since January when the pandemic started, so about to go home next week and will be of till new year. However, this industry is struggling so I don't know if I'll be redundant, as lots of people have been laid off so far.

Tough times and we aren't out of it yet. Done alright so far, but not counting my chickens.

• Like 2

We were told after Boris’ announcement in March that we’d be WFH effective immediately, which was okay but couldn’t do anywhere near my full job roles. The following Monday I was told I’d be furloughed from 1st April.

11:30am on the 1st, boss rings me up and asks why I’ve not checked my emails all morning. Told him I’m not allowed, he rings back half hour later saying “Er.. this isn’t gonna work. Can you come back to the office starting tomorrow?”

He’s generally alright but I’m still pissed off I didn’t get furloughed like seemingly everyone else in an office role, and was made to feel like a twat for not helping him defraud the government  😂

I have been working at home since March. During the full lockdown the experience was horrible. Now I am living alone and it is really difficult going all day without speaking to another human face-to-face. A set of circumstances which just flies in the face of human evolution.

I left my wife six years ago and eventually returned to the house I actually own after a lengty court battle. She is the local girl and lives about 10 minutes walk away. I wanted to sell the house this spring and up sticks as the house harbours far too many bad memories and remains an uncomfortable place to be. Whatever you do to it painting and decorating wise to make it look different it is still the same house. I expect she has also seen the new windows and much newer car and resents the fact that I have not done too badly for myself since I left her.. 

I was hoping that the project in the nuclear industry I have been working on for the last three years, originally as a subcontractor, would lead to work in the oil and gas industry. Oil and gas uses a lot of similar technologies and I would finally be able to realise my dream of moving to Scotland. But in the meantime that industry is now struggling and jobs are not easy to find. 

Things could be a lot worse. The head office of my employer is 150 miles away in the northern Home Counties and they could have asked me to move nearer their office so I could go in daily. I actually hate the South East and if they did that I would have politely told them where to stick it. However their policy is to place employees and subcontractors in the offices of their major clients to give them daily access to the engineers on the project. Home working with occasional visits to the client has become the new normal.   

14 hours ago, Strokes said:

Oadby, Lutterworth and Mountsorrel I can think of, must be a couple more I would have thought.

Yeah they binned the Oadby one off, sold it to Lidl I think, idk if it's a Lidl yet but poor souls of Oadby.

The other two are awful though. Particularly the Lutterworth one, at least the Mountsorrel one has a good car park. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

A good friend of mine is a Regional Director for Waitrose, in charge of their London stores.

I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback to him :D

If you could set a direct line up, that'd be grand. Almost everything about Waitrose, other than the pompousness of what you can buy, is terrible. 

• Haha 1