Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Classic Toys

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That was the dream, but Santa let me down  lol

Oh no! I guess we all had a toy that somehow fell off 'santas list' .....mine was the 'action man training tower'.....which I later learned wasn't that great anyway. Unfortunately for you Astro Wars.....was absolutely epic!🤗

I'm staggered that this thread has gone five pages without anyone mentioning the best two 'toys' ever invented, both closely associated with Frank Hornby, model railways (especially OO gauge), and Meccano. The Signal Box in Anstey is a great place to acquire model railway stuff. With Meccano, virtually any mechanical device can be made and today, there are numerous Meccano clubs dotted around England. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I'm staggered that this thread has gone five pages without anyone mentioning the best two 'toys' ever invented, both closely associated with Frank Hornby, model railways (especially OO gauge), and Meccano. 

I guess 'best' comes down to personal preference 👍

3 hours ago, Flamey said:

I guess 'best' comes down to personal preference 👍

The big difference between railway modelling and Meccano compared with almost every other 'toy', is that these two things are enjoyed by their adherents not for just a few months or a few years when young, but through their entire lives! The Hornby Railway Collectors' Association has over 10,000 members, many of whom are male and over 50 years old. Many of the members of the numerous Meccano clubs in England also fit that profile. I speak as a railway modeller and Meccano-ist - male and over 50!

29 minutes ago, String fellow said:

The big difference between railway modelling and Meccano compared with almost every other 'toy', is that these two things are enjoyed by their adherents not for just a few months or a few years when young, but through their entire lives! The Hornby Railway Collectors' Association has over 10,000 members, many of whom are male and over 50 years old. Many of the members of the numerous Meccano clubs in England also fit that profile. I speak as a railway modeller and Meccano-ist - male and over 50!

Just Googled an image of my first Tri-ang trainset that I had for Christmas in 1963.

Strewth, all those years ago but when I saw the picture it seemed like only yesterday.

Admit to being a bit of a geek with action figures, I’ve been a big collector for some time now, this is my favourite in my collection, Aldo Raine from Inglorious Basterds.

My holy grail was/is the Hans Landa figure from the same film, hopefully picking it up tomorrow 😊

I know they’re not classic toys but I thought I’d share! 

CD5022E3-F2ED-4468-8614-888A81AB67D1.jpeg

10 hours ago, String fellow said:

I'm staggered that this thread has gone five pages without anyone mentioning the best two 'toys' ever invented, both closely associated with Frank Hornby, model railways (especially OO gauge), and Meccano. The Signal Box in Anstey is a great place to acquire model railway stuff. With Meccano, virtually any mechanical device can be made and today, there are numerous Meccano clubs dotted around England. 

scalextric!

• Like 1