Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Halifax Fox

The state of the game

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The culture of cheating is a joke as well, see I think managers are in a bit of a lose/lose, you're essentially penalised if you don't cheat nowadays, we've managed to successfully manifest a culture where it is encouraged. Not just not discouraged, but actively encouraged. Where did all this "right to go down" nonsense begin? I find it mental how it's been allowed to creep in.

It's all gotten a bit out of hand.

....once again it is all down to the officiating and the cameras trained on the games!!!

The missed fouls in the box were not being picked up and the only way was to find someway to bring it to the referees attention, simply by going to ground. At that moment there is now a call to be made and the referee will then have to decide if there was actual contact and was it sufficient for the player to go to ground. Previously, staying on your feet was the virtuous thing to do, but as the game became more awash with money, going to ground gets you points, and the inevitable prize, is staying up or the riches of Champions League.

Edited by sacreblueits442

58 minutes ago, danhaw said:

I dont think VAR is the issue. It does what it's suppose to do. It clears up whether it's offside or not and it clears up wrong decisions. However, the referee's that are in control of it a sn absolute joke. Tonights game summed it up for me. No common sense whatsoever. Mike Dean was asked to view that incident because of a "Clenched fist" and "Violent conduct" none of which were committed. Some serious education is needed for the current set of referee's as I hate to say it, but they are literally ruining the game as we know it.

What VAR does, and all technology is takes common sense out of the game. All laws of the game were always intended to be used with common sense, where referees could use their discretion to make the best call. 
The offside rule for example is to stop attackers gaining an advantage over their opponents by goal hanging. 
Some of these armpit offside decisions no negligible advantage has been obtained, where as the Man City one which was allowed the player gained a clear advantage by being offside. 
With a sending off I can excuse Mike Dean for the two red cards he’s issued this week, IF it’s during the game, a quick look and he’s decided in the moment that it’s a red. However, given that he has looked back on video and decided to give the sendings off having seen exactly what we have all seen is unforgivable.

If he manages to have to sendings off in a week overturned despite looking at the video he needs to be stood down.

From VAR we simply want the howlers overturned - for offside if you can’t see its offside/onside without drawing lines, we should stick with the original decision. 
The same for red cards and penalties - but referees need to have the balls to overturn penalties and red cards they have given such the Martial dive (side note how low do you have to be to dive to win a penalty at 6-0 up against 10 men).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

D

I agree with you regards that VAR is not the issue.

Standard of Refereeing has certainly dropped recent years.

However referees and VAR are simply following the laws of the game.

It's the laws and rules of the game that need updating ASAP to stop the controversial issues that have arisen since VAR was implemented.

....not sure I can agree with you on this bit!!!

VAR was brought in as an aid to referees, the operators can not change the rules of the game ad hoc, they just need to uphold and work within the Laws surrounding the game. Where all this falls down lies with referees and their almost abdication from the game, namely, refusing to look at incidents and leaving it to another official to make a decision, providing that is, they review the correct footage.

The controversy which surrounds VAR is down to the incompetence of the VAR official and their decision making leads me to believe there is wide spread corruption within the game, and in this area, which needs to lead to an independent investigation.

Like everyone else, I want the decision to be correct, for reasons previously stated, VAR does not do that. We cannot now get rid of it, as just by watching match of the day the scrutiny of referees will continue. The thrill of scoring is removed as you think "wait for it....." because a goal is not a goal until verified by VAR and if there was one part of this I would like to eradicate it would be this.

18 hours ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

D

I agree with you regards that VAR is not the issue.

Standard of Refereeing has certainly dropped recent years.

However referees and VAR are simply following the laws of the game.

It's the laws and rules of the game that need updating ASAP to stop the controversial issues that have arisen since VAR was implemented.

I agree. Like in many walks of life when new technology is introduced, the users end up serving it rather than the other way around. Just because they can now take two minutes to forensically analyse possible offsides to the millimetre doesn't mean they should, but the laws haven't properly revised to reflect what VAR should actually be used for. 

19 minutes ago, Halifax Fox said:

Liverpool v Manchester City

Again we see the state of the modern game. Salah goes down like a miniature windmill after his arm was touched and his legs stopped working! 

Why is Michael Oliver giving a penalty? Weak refereeing yet again. Abysmal.

He went down like he'd been heel-hooked All we get from Tyler is 'Salah accepted the contact'

Edited by Bourbon Fox

It's been often said, regardless of VAR, footballers should respect the rules of the game, and each other. They shamelessly try to cheat and con and deceive. I wish they were more like rugby league players in that respect. That said, I also wish PL refs were more like Premiership rugby refs who fully understand the rules and are far more consistent. If that was the case, maybe players would be less inclined to simulate.

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

It's been often said, regardless of VAR, footballers should respect the rules of the game, and each other. They shamelessly try to cheat and con and deceive. I wish they were more like rugby league players in that respect. That said, I also wish PL refs were more like Premiership rugby refs who fully understand the rules and are far more consistent. If that was the case, maybe players would be less inclined to simulate.

Big part of the problem is the difference in the lack of respect for officials in the two sports.

On 07/02/2021 at 20:01, kristianity77 said:

Cheating is where VAR can come in handy.  All it needs is a 3 match ban on a dive that VAR spots and it goes away.  It really is as simple as that.

But to use VAR to the detriment of the bigger teams goes against the FAs interests so its a impasse. 

Spot on.

Let’s release VAR on cheating .... watch how the game gets cleaned within weeks.  Send the cheating fkrs off.  Can’t come too soon for me