Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Halifax Fox

The state of the game

It really is pathetic. The introduction of VAR has had so many more negatives than positives, more than anything it's increased the over scrutiny of refereeing decisions to the point it's the talking point of what feels like more games than it isn't. I do think in terms of the Premier League itself, whatever the opposite of halcyon days are, this is it. No fans at games combined with this rubbish and I do just find myself watching fewer and fewer games. I hope it gets better.

About time players and managers came out criticising it in interviews and not just on social media.

Also about time fans stopped taking the piss out of other clubs decisions. We should all be united.

It's not as if decisions have got better. But like I've always said it's still a shit referee but this time behind a screen.

It's killing the excitement.

• Like 2

Totally agree with sentiment of the OP (I'm a Matt Gillies man too).  We were almost universally in favour of VAR (subject to certain caveats) but it is now become an instrument of ridicule.  Refs do not explain themselves and make completely illogical decisions.  Afraid it's beyond me. 

A start would be to hear the conversations going on between ref and VAR officials.  Oh, and players to stop cheating

Has it been explained anywhere how borderline offsides (ie by the flapping of a shirt cuff) can be given when the lines we are shown are about the width of the ball.  Do the VAR officials see it in more detail?

• Like 3

Just now, Fox92 said:

About time players and managers came out criticising it in interviews and not just on social media.

Also about time fans stopped taking the piss out of other clubs decisions. We should all be united.

It's not as if decisions have got better. But like I've always said it's still a shit referee but this time behind a screen.

It's killing the excitement.

This

• Like 1

VAR has not only exposed the inadequacy of our refs but just as damming, exposed the lunacy of the rule makers. Throwing in caveats on offsides such as ‘when the player makes an active attempt to play the ball’. 

The players have taken advantage of such ineptitude to further their teams cause. Possibly worse is that the pundits don’t call the players out for such contempt. Initiating contact before going down, pretending you’ve been caught in the face. Barely a comment of condemnation to be seen!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It works fine in Europe, although I'm not a fan. Its the refs over here - they're absolutely appalling.

...alternate take. There is so much more money in the game here than in Europe. 

• Like 1

It doesn’t help that with no fans in the stadiums the game has become a totally televisual experience for every supporter.

I’m as disengaged as I’ve ever been. Part of it is age but everything about the current state of affairs stinks, from selectively officious VAR to Project Big Picture to the more pervasive issue that my whole experience of the game now boils down to watching 90 minutes of football on my own. I don’t tune in for the build up or the half-time or post-match analysis. I’m not interested in listening to the half-hearted opinions of experts who know less about the teams on display than 90% of the people on this forum.

Edited by ttfn

Whilst I’m at it I’ll throw in the absolutely needless government meddling and pandering from the Premier League to demonstrably nonsensical safety precautions like not celebrating goals as a team and disinfecting the ball when it goes out of play.

I would argue that VAR used correctly is a benefit, but the people using it are making the mistakes.  Over the years football fans have been calling for more transparency with decisions that were affecting the game, a dodgy penalty or a sending off, which seemed to benefit the big clubs more than others.  Now we have a system that could be used to benefit the game, but alas we still have the problem of poor refs who are too arrogant to admit the got it wrong or a VAR official who hasn't got a clue.  Lets be honest the Ref's in the UK are of a poor quality who can't run, but just stay in the middle of the pitch like John Moss, my children and I just can't stop laughing when he's trying to run around the pitch, he runs like he's stuck in mud!  Mike Dean....what can you say ******?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Last nights Man Utd game and the 8th (I think) where martial dived and got bednerek sent off.. is the reason players do dive.. they get penalties and players sent off. Clear for all that martial dived.. he should have been sent off which is the only way stop people diving/clasping legs 

it’s not VAR that’s the problem, it’s interpretation of what is a foul. Any minor touch and it’s a pen, but on many occasions not enough to trip a player.. especially when they’re going down themselves

But VAR by definition is just shifting the subjective desicion from one party to another. And while doing it, stops the game for 5 minutes and kills the flow of the game and the enjoyment of the big moments.

VAR definitely *is* the problem. Regardless of how good or not the officials are, you're ultimately shifting one subjective desicion to another - handball, red cards and penalties have always been very contentious and subjective, it's nothing to do with the new rules or whatever. But what VAR does is kill the flow of the game solely to swap one subjective decision for another.

It's a gimmick for tv.

VAR was brought in to eliminate howlers such as hugely offside goals and penalties being given when somebody was hit in the face by the ball and not the hand. The issue is that subjective calls are still subjective and one bloke looking at a screen, not some technological genius robot. Then you've got the fact that the laws for offside, for example, were introduced to stop people goal hanging twenty yards behind the last defender and need to be applied to every goal. 

I mean, how can a length of an attacker's sleeve being marginally ahead of a defender's arse give that player an advantage? Pre-VAR, they'd have had a screenshot or freeze frame, said he's on and we all move on, really.

I didn't want VAR because bad decisions are part of it, we both benefit and lose out and we do move on, eventually. They wanted the whole package, everything to be just right, when it was clearly never going to be. Tribalism will always be in football, people wanting to gain advantages fair or unfair for their own team- you can't "clean up" an unclean sport.

• Like 1

VAR might be brilliant at what it does, but whatever they do to improve it, nobody wants it. It ruins a free flowing, spontaneous game. Go back to linesmen giving the offside decisions and the ref giving handballs and penalties, i bet there were less contention incidents and everyone walked away from the game happy, even though there would be the argument over a dodgy offside or goal, that was part of the fun, now it's just boring. 

One thing though, If there was corruption within the game and results were able to be manipulated, VAR is the ideal platform, it relies on the integrity of a few guys possibly 100 miles away from the game with no questions about a decision.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Like 1

I personally find the overconsumption of football far more of a killer than VAR. I'm far from a fan of VAR, but it can be tweaked and ultimately will be. Football is far more for the TV viewer, even before the pandemic, than it is the supporters in the ground. 

One of the positives if/when we eventually return to the 2nd tier would be 3pm Saturday kick offs. 

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But VAR by definition is just shifting the subjective desicion from one party to another. And while doing it, stops the game for 5 minutes and kills the flow of the game and the enjoyment of the big moments.

VAR definitely *is* the problem. Regardless of how good or not the officials are, you're ultimately shifting one subjective desicion to another - handball, red cards and penalties have always been very contentious and subjective, it's nothing to do with the new rules or whatever. But what VAR does is kill the flow of the game solely to swap one subjective decision for another.

It's a gimmick for tv.

I was referring to the OP about the specific penalties last night, rather than a general view of VAR. 

To re-phrase my comment would be to say stop players diving you stop more “interpretation”. Harsher punishments for diving and Martial doesn’t do what he did

As for your comment about VAR disrupting the flow, agree, I think they should do it only on appeal. Each team gets 2 appeals a game. If the appeal is upheld (ref decision overturned by VAR) then you keep your quoted of appeals. Would create fewer occasions when the flow be stopped.. ala Tennis

Edited by Fox seen in Norwich
  • Like 1