Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Halifax Fox

The state of the game

On 03/02/2021 at 16:05, jmono84 said:

VAR ain’t bothered me that much, it’s more the cheating culture which a ‘good’ footballer has to have now. Refs in England are crap, the best ref this year was the woman ref in one of our Europe league, I was genuinely shocked by the amount of times a player fell over after a challenge and I was expecting a soft free kick but she indicated play on. Was a breath of fresh air and I hope she continues like that.

The likes of Fernandes and Grealish cheating several times a game is what ruins it for me.

.....and Maddison??   

This is a thread about cheating and diving in general and im 100% certain fans of other clubs would point the finger at Maddison the way we point the fingers at players that do it against our club.

Part of the problem with diving in football is that fans/managers/players only ever complain when it happens against their team.....and they turn a blind-eye when their team benefit from it.

If you want to eradicate cheating and diving in football, people have to remove their bias to their own team and hold every player to account....not just the opposition!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Them overturning a red card that was given from VAR just totally sums the absolute shambles up. I find it honestly unbelievable they continue to enforce such utter garbage on the game. Get it gone at the earliest possible opportunity and laugh about it in future years.

Was the RED card reviewed by VAR at the time??  

If they have overturned a RED card that was actually given by VAR then that questions the entire credibility of VAR and those monitoring it......basically depends on who is monitoring it at the time whether the decision is right or not!   

As the saying goes  "you're only as good as you're weakest link"  (ie  s**t in  =  s**t out!)

17 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Was the RED card reviewed by VAR at the time??  

If they have overturned a RED card that was actually given by VAR then that questions the entire credibility of VAR and those monitoring it......basically depends on who is monitoring it at the time whether the decision is right or not!   

As the saying goes  "you're only as good as you're weakest link"  (ie  s**t in  =  s**t out!)

Every red card, same as every goal and penalty decision is revealed by VAR.

27 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

.....and Maddison??   

This is a thread about cheating and diving in general and im 100% certain fans of other clubs would point the finger at Maddison the way we point the fingers at players that do it against our club.

Part of the problem with diving in football is that fans/managers/players only ever complain when it happens against their team.....and they turn a blind-eye when their team benefit from it.

If you want to eradicate cheating and diving in football, people have to remove their bias to their own team and hold every player to account....not just the opposition!

Nothing fans do will eradicate anything about football unless everyone boycotts games and that  is never happening. It's all in the hands of the authorities, owners, referees, managers and players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

.....and Maddison??   

Thing with Maddison is he is about 5,6-5’7 and about 8-9 stone and he still doesn’t throw himself around as much as Bruno who loads taller and Grealish who is actually a unit.

On 03/02/2021 at 13:11, Dan LCFC said:

VAR is the problem by the way. That's not to say the officials aren't inept, and VAR has definitely gone a way to exposing this beyond any reasonable doubt, but it is the problem. This will continue to be the case no matter what they do with it. When players and fans are losing the instinct to celebrate a goal, that is a price absolutely not worth paying, it's the very fabric of the sport itself and it's being repeatedly ruined. 

100% Bang On!

The culture of cheating is a joke as well, see I think managers are in a bit of a lose/lose, you're essentially penalised if you don't cheat nowadays, we've managed to successfully manifest a culture where it is encouraged. Not just not discouraged, but actively encouraged. Where did all this "right to go down" nonsense begin? I find it mental how it's been allowed to creep in.

It's all gotten a bit out of hand.

13 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The culture of cheating is a joke as well, see I think managers are in a bit of a lose/lose, you're essentially penalised if you don't cheat nowadays, we've managed to successfully manifest a culture where it is encouraged. Not just not discouraged, but actively encouraged. Where did all this "right to go down" nonsense begin? I find it mental how it's been allowed to creep in.

It's all gotten a bit out of hand.

I wholeheartedly agree with what you say.

But when was "gotten" (and other Americanisms) allowed to creep into our language?

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Believe it or not, it's not an Americanism. I thought the same and was corrected by my brother!

It is an "Americanism".    (as in hardly ever used in this Country, even though it originally derives from here many centuries ago).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_American_terms_not_widely_used_in_the_United_Kingdom

Was life before VAR actually any better? People have rose tinted specs on.

Look at our game v Chelsea for example. Evans fouls Pulisic outside the box. In years gone by that would have been a penalty given and its 1-1. There are loads of examples like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Random thought of the day. The game is not in a good state but imagine if BSkyB had been allowed to takeover Man United back in 1999, we'd probably be in the same situation as the Scottish Premier League.

Mad that it almost happened.

I didn't know about this. Mental just reading up on it now. 

2 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

if you're at the match, unequivocally yes.

Then Chelsea would gotten a wrong penalty and equalised. And post match would be all about how we got cheated out of 3 points.

Life before VAR was not as good as pepper think it was.

Just now, Koke said:

Then Chelsea would gotten a wrong penalty and equalised. And post match would be all about how we got cheated out of 3 points.

Life before VAR was not as good as pepper think it was.

its all about the immediacy of being able to celebrate a goal etc. it's just not the same with VAR at all.

I accept your point that some wrong decisions are corrected, but for me I'd rather do without it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Was life before VAR actually any better? People have rose tinted specs on.

Look at our game v Chelsea for example. Evans fouls Pulisic outside the box. In years gone by that would have been a penalty given and its 1-1. There are loads of examples like that.

I dont think VAR is the issue. It does what it's suppose to do. It clears up whether it's offside or not and it clears up wrong decisions. However, the referee's that are in control of it a sn absolute joke. Tonights game summed it up for me. No common sense whatsoever. Mike Dean was asked to view that incident because of a "Clenched fist" and "Violent conduct" none of which were committed. Some serious education is needed for the current set of referee's as I hate to say it, but they are literally ruining the game as we know it.

Concerning diving and people referencing madders etc I think its important to highlight that fans need to accept this as part of the game.

Anything with a slight connection and a twist/fall and an immediate fall to the fall will get a free kick and a foul. Because there is some form of contact however slight then referees will always be obligated to point to it. It's rare players totally dive anymore because of tv cameras. 

There will of course be certain players at certain clubs I.e. perez and richarlson who are known to most refs and who will ignore them because of how much they attempt it rather than the fact they have done it at all. Maddison is clever at it but does it right, but he also stays on his feet a lot too in tight areas in open play in most games.

D

34 minutes ago, danhaw said:

I dont think VAR is the issue. It does what it's suppose to do. It clears up whether it's offside or not and it clears up wrong decisions. However, the referee's that are in control of it a sn absolute joke. Tonights game summed it up for me. No common sense whatsoever. Mike Dean was asked to view that incident because of a "Clenched fist" and "Violent conduct" none of which were committed. Some serious education is needed for the current set of referee's as I hate to say it, but they are literally ruining the game as we know it.

I agree with you regards that VAR is not the issue.

Standard of Refereeing has certainly dropped recent years.

However referees and VAR are simply following the laws of the game.

It's the laws and rules of the game that need updating ASAP to stop the controversial issues that have arisen since VAR was implemented.