Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Former Player Remembers: Willie Carlin

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Sorry, but I've always found it impossible to look at this photo without laughing at Rodney Fern's hair style, Shilton's dubious tash - (which he should have donated to Malcolm Manley for the full Peter Wyngarde effect) and Steve Whitworth who looks a bit like Damien Lewis here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, surrifox said:

At the risk of appearing to be a bit of a plastic I don't recognise the player at the left of the front row (in front of M stringfellow) - is that Bobby Kellard?

I would say so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

Sorry, but I've always found it impossible to look at this photo without laughing at Rodney Fern's hair style, Shilton's dubious tash - (which he should have donated to Malcolm Manley for the full Peter Wyngarde effect) and Steve Whitworth who looks a bit like Damien Lewis here. 

Malcolm Partridge! 

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Remember a fan hurling loud abuse at Carlin all the way through a match. Willie clearly able to hear him, did not react at all. 

Carlin then scored and carried the ball back and threw it at the bloke in the crowd. Hilarious.Fans roared in delight. Probably get a yellow now, but I think even the ref laughed.

We were all much more human back then. Or at least allowed to be.

• Like 2

Remember that 1970/71 season well, had some great away days, particularly last match of the season to Fratton Park on the Football Special. City went last seventeen games undefeated that year (10 wins / seven draws). Good all round team, although Ali Brown and his goal machine and John Farrington were my favourites. 

Fantastic times for a 19 year old football crazy fan. Matches were always a cheap day out with low cost train / coach fares and stocking up with cans of Sainsbury’s pale ale (guaranteed to make you sick) before you caught the coach outside the Secular Hall on Humberstone Gate.