Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Coaching

Does anybody else have concerns about the quality of our coaching? Sometimes I watch us and genuinely can't believe these players train together all week. Add to that our glaringly obvious weaknesses from set pieces (defending and attacking) it begs the question what exactly we're working on. Maybe going forward it could be something we look to improve on 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

There are certain areas I think Rodgers doesn't focus on as much but it's quite clear that he is a superb coach. Go through the squad and nearly every player has improved under him that was already here. 

Oh sorry this isn't a Rodgers bashing thread. I mean the coaching staff as a collective 

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Does anybody else have concerns about the quality of our coaching? Sometimes I watch us and genuinely can't believe these players train together all week. Add to that our glaringly obvious weaknesses from set pieces (defending and attacking) it begs the question what exactly we're working on. Maybe going forward it could be something we look to improve on 

.. said it a few times, you really can not believe that the things we see on the pitch is allowed to happen week after week!!!

I can understand with the injuries we are looking a bit unbalanced but we obviously do not prioritise certain aspects of our game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hales said:

I think the problem is that training and coaching have been minimal due to the congested schedule. They have only really had time for recovery and tactics. I'm sure now we have less games per week they can train more together as a full squad.

Yeah this is also true. Although I'd say we've had similar weaknesses for a while now, pre covid

1 minute ago, foxfanazer said:

Oh sorry this isn't a Rodgers bashing thread. I mean the coaching staff as a collective 

Well Rodgers is the head coach, he comes as part of this team that he has worked with for a number of years. 

Bar set pieces I think overall we have been coached exceptionally under this regime. 

Don't forget that this season he has changed us from a possession based team to a counter attacking team which shows his ability as a coach to allow us to thrive using either system and still not drop out of the top 4 all season whilst competing in Europe. I know this is going off on a tangent but this does highlight his talent as a coach, so many players rave about him and his staffs ideology.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well Rodgers is the head coach, he comes as part of this team that he has worked with for a number of years. 

Bar set pieces I think overall we have been coached exceptionally under this regime. 

Don't forget that this season he has changed us from a possession based team to a counter attacking team which shows his ability as a coach to allow us to thrive using either system and still not drop out of the top 4 all season whilst competing in Europe. I know this is going off on a tangent but this does highlight his talent as a coach, so many players rave about him and his staffs ideology.

Yeah fine, but I didn't want to specifically talk about Rodgers as there are plenty of thread about him. 

As a fan do you not get frustrated seeing the same mistakes repeated week by week? Or would you say it's more a mentality issue of the squad than poor coaching skills? We were almost 1-0 down after 30 seconds last night after yet another free header was allowed around our 6 yard box

17 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The set piece side of the game does. To watch us you would think we didn’t do any work on set pieces at all and our record would back that up. 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Yeah fine, but I didn't want to specifically talk about Rodgers as there are plenty of thread about him. 

As a fan do you not get frustrated seeing the same mistakes repeated week by week? Or would you say it's more a mentality issue of the squad than poor coaching skills? We were almost 1-0 down after 30 seconds last night after yet another free header was allowed around our 6 yard box

So you want to talk about Davies, Toure and Sadler or just the coaching in general? I've gone specific but it is indeed frustrating regarding our weakness of defending and attacking set pieces.

What else are we neglecting? The gripe I had last season was our failure to press at times, we did it half heartedly but didn't drop off to counter press either and we got done for a number of times in the 2nd half of the season. This season Rodgers seems to have identified the and coach or instruct the players to set up differently when we are playing the front press. Is that a coaching improvement or tactics? Either way it shows improvements and progression.

...Ndidi shooting from 30 yards plus is something that needs to be addressed!!!

In that situation you need to be looking to recycle the ball. The amount of times that ball flies high and wide, because we are incapable of finding an alternative way of penetrating the oppositions defence. If that was Ferguson in charge, he does it once and he doesn't do it again. 

Heading the ball seems to be an aspect not properly coached. The defence can head away but not with much conviction or direction and that manifest itself at the other end, mistimed jumps and an inability to hit target from close range.

Throughout the team we are really poor in that respect. 

Set pieces are another issue but that has been done to death in another thread.

• Like 1

I am absolutely convinced that we spend no time working on attacking set pieces. It’s gone past being just bad luck now, we never, ever look threatening from a corner. 

I think they probably do work on defending them but zonal marking is one for the bin. It’s the first thing that gets highlighted in analysis when teams are bad at defending set pieces I’m amazed it’s even still a thing. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

I am absolutely convinced that we spend no time working on attacking set pieces. It’s gone past being just bad luck now, we never, ever look threatening from a corner. 

I think they probably do work on defending them but zonal marking is one for the bin. It’s the first thing that gets highlighted in analysis when teams are bad at defending set pieces I’m amazed it’s even still a thing. 

Imagine the goal swing if we even bacame semi competent at both ends

Just now, Manini said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when we were hoofing corners into the box last night against possibly one of the best defences in the league at defending them. 

It beggars belief that no individual on the pitch or no one in the coaching staff would have thought "perhaps we shouldn't do that" 

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I caught Matt Elliott talking about our set pieces on one of those internal club videos (which are usually highly party-line and avoid any criticism, even constructive!)

He basically couldn't hide his anger at how bad the set pieces were both offensivley and defensively. He said it was so basic the mistakes they were making. 

I've said it before but why not get Elliott, Tags, Walsh and even Guppy down to do some work with the squad? I know that might not be possible now with Covid but when things improve surely this would be so beneficial to us.

We have some of the best set piece experts that the Premier League has ever seen still local no doubt that would help in a heart beat. 

Whilst we definitely need work on it, I'd rather we brought in specific set piece coaches similar to Liverpool with throw-ins than just getting 4 ex players to turn up.

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Imagine the goal swing if we even bacame semi competent at both ends

I don’t think we’ve had one single goal from a CB this season so far. Not that I’m expecting them to make double figures collectively really but there’s usually the odd goal here and there from them.

From my knowledge Fofana has had two golden opportunities that he should have put away and Evans had one where he should have done better. Aside from that, nothing to get excited about. 

33 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Set pieces at both ends are a disgrace. Simple. 

Very true, I thought Maddison was bad at corners but Youri is a different level of bad, it seems we select the corner taker on seniorority and not quality I would like to see Thomas take them when he is on the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when we were hoofing corners into the box last night against possibly one of the best defences in the league at defending them. 

It beggars belief that no individual on the pitch or no one in the coaching staff would have thought "perhaps we shouldn't do that" 

Basic stuff - ball in the air, they’ll probably deal with it because their trademark is being good in the air, it’s kept them up consistently. 

Ball on the floor, they’ll probably struggle, maybe try some short ones and try and play it through them. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Whilst we definitely need work on it, I'd rather we brought in specific set piece coaches similar to Liverpool with throw-ins than just getting 4 ex players to turn up.

I'm probably showing my naivety on the matter but when you think back to just how good these were at set pieces, I mean I would back them from a set peice against any team in Europe,  surely they could offer something. 

57 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Not this season, I doubt they are having a lot of coaching time on grass, it been game, recovery, game recovery.

36 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Rodgers doesn't want to swallow his pride and move away from zonal marking imo, even though everyone can see how dearly it's costing us. Maybe next season. 

its hard to change things when you have so little time in between games.

2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I'm probably showing my naivety on the matter but when you think back to just how good these were at set pieces, I mean I would back them from a set peice against any team in Europe,  surely they could offer something. 

Only suggest a coach, as those players were at their best 20 years ago, you can't get away with half the physicality they used now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Only suggest a coach, as those players were at their best 20 years ago, you can't get away with half the physicality they used now. 

I once saw Elliott marking his striker from a corner and just before the ball came in he pinched the ball sack of the player lol

Gerrimin! 

What a VAR check that would be 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2