Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Linguistic pedantry

If this is a thread for releasing frustration etc, then good luck I hope it works but if it's to educate or to encourage improvement maybe some examples of what is the correct usage would help.

Just a thought.

My apologies if there are any grammatical errors in my post. :P

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

If this is a thread for releasing frustration etc, then good luck I hope it works but if it's to educate or to encourage improvement maybe some examples of what is the correct usage would help.

Just a thought.

My apologies if there are any grammatical errors in my post. :P

It's the former really - if anyone wants to improve, I hope they ask, but I've long since learnt that people don't want to be lectured - hence doing it here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's the former really - if anyone wants to improve, I hope they ask, but I've long since learnt that people don't want to be lectured - hence doing it here.

Well I'm not embarrassed to ask can you explain your Biased / Bias question, I thought the 1st was descriptive and then 2nd was something you have. I can't remember it being misused. I've obviously missed that.

Edit I've just googled it and found this...

Why Do People Say 'Bias' Instead of 'Biased'?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/90089/why-do-people-say-bias-instead-biased#:~:text=Bias is a noun.,'t be so bias.”
BY ARIKA OKRENT JANUARY 11, 2017
Created via Tagul

It’s an error you see a lot these days: the use of bias in place of biased. Bias is a noun. You can have a bias, show a bias, or worry about bias. But when used as an adjective to describe something, the word is biased. It’s incorrect to say, “your opinion is bias,” “that’s a bias statement,” or “don’t be so bias.”

Misused a lot then?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well I'm not embarrassed to ask can you explain your Biased / Bias question, I thought the 1st was descriptive and then 2nd was something you have. I can't remember it being misused. I've obviously missed that.

Edit I've just googled it and found this...

Why Do People Say 'Bias' Instead of 'Biased'?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/90089/why-do-people-say-bias-instead-biased#:~:text=Bias is a noun.,'t be so bias.”
BY ARIKA OKRENT JANUARY 11, 2017
Created via Tagul

It’s an error you see a lot these days: the use of bias in place of biased. Bias is a noun. You can have a bias, show a bias, or worry about bias. But when used as an adjective to describe something, the word is biased. It’s incorrect to say, “your opinion is bias,” “that’s a bias statement,” or “don’t be so bias.”

Misused a lot then?

I think you just answered your own question far better than I ever could :) 

• Like 1

I used to co-run a DofE group for years and years with my dad, his oldest mate, and their old scout leader who they've known for 50 years. I've known them all my whole life, and we still meet up every week for a pint especially now the pubs are back open.

We often get into linguistic debates, usually over the correct usage of what is 'less' or 'fewer'.

Knowing them all and our dynamic so well and for so long, we know each other's triggers, so whenever someone uses less or fewer properly I always correct them with the wrong one just to stoke the debate and annoy whoever said it. It honestly gives me so much joy.

I'm having a pint with them later and now I can't wait to do it.

"Can you just put a bit more milk in my tea" - It's a drop - you cant have a bit of a liquid

"I bought a second hand sofa and bartered over the price" - Haggle - barter means offering something other than money in return for goods and services.

"I was really p*ssed at him" - p*ssed in the UK means drunk, p*issed off is annoyed

"I have gotten that" - got, you dont need the extra syllable

I think you'll find us pedants prefer the term nit-picking.

Anyway for all pedants, nevermind. There, they're, their.

Edited by pleatout

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I used to co-run a DofE group for years and years with my dad, his oldest mate, and their old scout leader who they've known for 50 years. I've known them all my whole life, and we still meet up every week for a pint especially now the pubs are back open.

We often get into linguistic debates, usually over the correct usage of what is 'less' or 'fewer'.

Knowing them all and our dynamic so well and for so long, we know each other's triggers, so whenever someone uses less or fewer properly I always correct them with the wrong one just to stoke the debate and annoy whoever said it. It honestly gives me so much joy.

Tell them they should drink less pints and fewer beer. :yesyes:

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

......and on here as well  :P

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, String fellow said:

What gets me is acronyms that don't include the first letter of every word of the original phrase, for example, 'milf' should really include the letter t.

Perhaps it means "Mums I like f....ing" 

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

By the way @davieG, if you'd like a live example of the 'bias/biased' thing, there's one from today in the 'Greatest Escapes' thread in the main forum, about 3rd post in.

I'm no English language expert having failed my GCE many moons ago but when I first read that my mind just read it as biased without thinking about it.