Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Linguistic pedantry

5 hours ago, String fellow said:

The word zoology. At school, our biology teacher told us that it's pronounced zo-ology not zoo-ology. Why? Because if it were the second of these two, then the word would require three successive o letters, which is verboten in English, even with a diaeresis over the third letter. In Dutch, such a construction is allowed. Another example is Inverness-shire, which cheats by using a hyphen. Imo, a proper nouns such as this should be allowed to have three successive letters the same, without requiring a hyphen.  

What? lol

Just now, String fellow said:

It looks as if my biology teacher was absolutely correct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T0XuETBi2c

I don't doubt it.

Just reading your initial paragraph gave me a headache though, hence my reply. That was about my mental deficiencies rather then having a laugh at you!

Modern life and actual thinking aren't the most comfortable bedfellows, I rarely have to engage my brain very much lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

How do you guys and gals get through the day?

Can I use guys for all genders?

In my case, by accepting that in most cases people are doing their best to communicate. I only lose it when people insist that being wrong is actually 'language evolving', rather than allowing my knowledge to be a hindrance to their ignorance.

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Only if you were born in 'merica, or you're being ironic. Otherwise, it's totally unacceptable, David.

I like to think I'm generally sound with language, but I'm not sure if what I did above is correct.

Is 'merica correct or is it 'Merica? I'm sure someone can tell me.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Funny that I had to edit my post.

2 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

I like to think I'm generally sound with language, but I'm not sure if what I did above is correct.

Is 'merica correct or is it 'Merica? I'm sure someone can tell me.

I think the former is correct, technically.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Only if you were born in 'merica, or you're being ironic. Otherwise, it's totally unacceptable, David.

I was comparing it to actor and actress.